Cool monsters/sad monsters.

Tolkien this, Feist that!
    Cmon! What's goin' on here?
    Monsters huh? Whad about dem?
    Aliens, nasty robots, vampires, supervillians, dragons and such.
    Right- here's my list, not the definitive version, I'll re-edit a LOT, as I'm sure I'll think of a load more soon's I post this- right, this is just to get the ball rolling- I'm itching for some info.
    Right here goes.
    PENTIAK's top 10 cool monsters:
    1. ED-209: "You have ten seconds to comply" A mean mudder if ever there was, except for he had trouble with stairs.
    2. Predator: "Turn around! Over here!..."- anytime!
    3. Alien Queen: "(hiss! snarl!)" ok another obvious 1, but her place is well earned.
    4. 'Raptors in JP: If only they were allowed
    savage people in the film as they did in the book. Still, the were NASTY.
    5. Ghidora/Monster Zero: The DEFINITIVE dragon, and this is gonna get a severe backlash of fantasy fans going at me.
    6. The Medusa in Clash of the Titans: I always thought she was cool.
    7. Maximillian in Black Hole: (ok so he scared me when I saw it as a kid!)
    8. Martians in War of the Worlds: (represent the old skool!) great book, great movie, dodgy 70's album...
    9. Those weird crawly black things in Dark Crystal: anyone remember their name?
    10. The skeletons in Armies of Darkness: a personal favourite of mine, not so much nasty as complete jerks- "keep your filty bones outa my mouth!"

And now the top 10 sad monsters:
    1. The Darleks: like ED-209, had trouble with stairs, but nowhere near as cool, they couldn't even sort out 'ol Doctor Who. Who later went on to be a scarecrow.
    2. The robot in Logan's Run: "Plankton, seagreens and protien from the sea..."- oh dear.
    3. King Kong: Classic film or dumb gorilla?
    4. V: aliens with shoulder pads and perms.
    5. The Cylons: .....
    6. The white spider in Krull: I like spiders, crazy looking things, it looked cool but it didn't DO anything! And that annoyed me.
    7. The bugs in Starship Troopers: why didn't they just nuke the planet?
    8. Robbie the robot: forbidden planet.
    9. NEW Godzilla: the cheeck! godzilla's a man in a rubber suit, don't try give him a 90's makeover, I never saw the film, and I never will, matter of principal!
    10. The robot at the end of Nemisis: like it wasn't made of tinfoil?

OK- fire away, I wanna see some input people!

Cool monsters : the cacodemons in A.A. Attanasio's Dark Shore Trilogy.

I think the scariest monster of all had to be "The Thing" in John Carpenter's remake of the classic movie.

The one monster that turned Hollywood around from the 'man in a rubber suit' type genre had to be Geiger's ALIEN. Now THAT was a monster, hats off to the crew who pulled off one of the scariest movies ever and revamped a whole generation of space monster movies.

PENTIAK's top 10 cool monsters:

1. ED-209: "You have ten seconds to comply" A mean mudder if ever there was, except for he had trouble with stairs.

****I wouldn't put this as a 'monster', it wasn't that scary, more like a prop for the movie Robocop. It was an antagonist to be sure, but not a 'monster'. Forget stairs, I remember seeing this thing get its foot stuck in a manhole and go round and round. It was pretty dumb if you thought of it as a 'main' monster or adversary.

2. Predator-****Pretty cool. Actually taken from a UFO type incident in real life (supposedly) when a group of special forces (elite!) were hunted by something in the jungle that used energy weapons to disrupt their bodies. The story leaked out from very hushed circumstances, and then I guess someone made a movie out of it.

3. Alien Queen- No where near as scary as the ALIEN itself. I liked how James Cameron took ALIEN and made the sequel to show just how bad these creatures were. It didn't matter if you had a gun or not... The Queen was cool, but no where near as scary as seeing all of those aliens crawling over the ceiling or bursting up through the floors or coming up in the water behind Newt...

4. 'Raptors in JP: I personally *HATE* the raptors, I guess because as soon as JP came out, *EVERYTHING* became named 'Raptor', including the new F-22 fighter. Raptors just aren't that 'scary'.

5. Ghidora/Monster Zero: You don't like Godzilla because it is a man in a rubber suit, but you like a man in a rubber suit with three heads held up by fishing wire?

6. The Medusa in Clash of the Titans: One of Ray Harry Hausen's better creations. More 'neat' than scary, IMHO.

7. Maximillian in Black Hole: Pure evil, the blades were more for terror than any practical use. The part where he and the mad doctor's corpse came together and they were 'dancing' in the gravity of the black hole, then the doctor was trapped inside of the robot shell (his eyes in the slit of the robot dome where they were positioned like some Christ-figure up on the burning mountain and all the drones were walking in to 'worship' him was just disturbing as a child).

8. Martians in War of the Worlds: The album by Jeff Wayne kicks major a$$. The PC game was pretty stupid (and boring, but had extra unpublished music on it, so it was worth the $10 I paid for it in the discount bin). The Martians were cool, getting the PC game just to watch the 'martian' intro demo was worth the price.

9. Those weird crawly black things in Dark Crystal: The Garthim, giant crab-spiders. Very cool, but not scary.

10. The skeletons in Armies of Darkness: didn't have a 'scare factor' impact like the Ray Harry Hausen skeletons in "Jason and the Argonauts". Sorry, old Ray was scaring audiences in the '50's and '60's long before this movie ever came out.

And now the top 10 sad monsters:

1. The Darleks: *DALEKS*, and yes, they were pretty sad, but the way they ran around and shouted "EXTERMINATE!" was kind of scary. The story was cool, how the Daleks came to power, etc. I think the concept was lost somewhere in the cheap production costs.

2. The robot in Logan's Run: "BOX!" Box was scary just because it was a 'wild' robot, it was damaged somewhat and couldn't differentiate people from deliveries, that is what made it scary. Imagine walking into McDonald's for lunch and having the robot behind the counter grab you up and start preparing you for food! Box was scary in a very adult way.

3. King Kong: Don't knock a classic. King Kong is the 'KING' of giant creature features.

4. V: utterly forgettable. About the same genre as Rick Dee's and his "Disco Duck".

5. The Cylons: Now, the Cylons were a truly evil race. I have a soft spot for BG, if just because the Cylons were the victims of TV censors. They were originally supposed to be totally fluid, totally human like in movement, they were going to be quick, augmented, and very powerful. However, the TV censors didn't want too much violence, so the Cylons got dumbed down to the point of being moronic. They just walked around in line and got shot (kind of like the British in the American Revolution...). The Cylons were cool, the TV censors were the real idiots, and we all paid for it.

6. The white spider in Krull: I liked the white spider, just because I'm a closet arachnophobe and I hate spiders. Something that big coming after me, my getaway on sneakers, with traction, would produce a sonic boom.

7. The bugs in Starship Troopers: Why didn't they nuke the planet? How can bugs throw a asteroid clear across the galaxy and hit a pinpoint target on Earth? What happens when Heinlein's widow sells out for more money? You get Starship Troopers, the movie. VERY good bugs (like a giant ant swarm), but dumb humans. We still call ST: the movie "Dougie Howser in Spaaaaaaaaccceee!" Utterly forgetable.

8. Robbie the robot: Robbie was about the greatest robot ever built, Robbie was to robots what the 'alien' was to space aliens. Robbie gets props, he was totally cool, especially for his time.

9. NEW Godzilla: Godzilla is a fan cult classic. You like Godzilla's enemy, but don't like Godzilla. The logic fails there. Godzilla (the American movie) was a total disappointment. Godzilla 2000, the Toho production, was by far the best use of special effects and toy tanks yet! I recommend it, the scene of the guy, his daughter, and the female reporter driving off, looking in the rear view behind the car, and seeing Godzilla trashing the city was better than anything in Jurassic Park!

10. The robot at the end of Nemisis: I *liked* Nemesis 1, the others have sucked big time. That Gunnar guy is just the king of sucky movies, he's as much fun to watch as Tom Thomerson (Dollman, Trancers, etc.) for cheesy movies when you want to let your mind rot. Nemesis was pretty neat, for a movie made in someone's garage... I honestly think that the flying LAPD 'unit' in the beginning of the movie looked an awful lot like a from the box build of a Fledermouse from SF3D. I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

1st of all I really should've posted this in the Movies/TV section, DOH!
    Black-echo:
    Critique- (ps your submission for excercise 2 was top notch. )
    Point1- when I said monsters it was a vague term because "bad guys" sounds so lame.
    ED-209 ROX! Slag him off all u like but you wouldn't say it 2 his face.
    Didn't know they called the F-22 that. An A-10's a lot more vicious and it gets a name like Warthog, not fair really.
    Didn't say I disliked Godzilla, I know better, I dislike the notion of a 90's C.G. Godzilla, it's wrong.(Ghidora is real you know- the cheek!) Now I'm really upset because I meant to put in Mothra- there was a load I had thought of then when I submitted it it didn't work so I had 2 write 'em out again and I forgot most the good ones. Mothra- put him in, in the sad pile, he was a gimp. And the Thing in cool pile- forgot that1.
    Thank u for the Hausen I'd forgotten his name, stop-go always rates above C.G. anyway, the way it moves is in itself unnatural which is why, in my opinion, it's so effective. By the way I wasn't really going for scare factor, if I was I'd have submitted the Death Coach from "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (starring Sean Connery singing what's supposed to be an Irish ballad) which really freaked me out as a kid. I'd still love to know how they did that! Doogie Howser is space(or anywhere else)- perhaps the scariest thing yet mentioned. ("Would you like to no more?"- hell no!) And Nemesis was tremendous, not many people appreciate that kinda thing, I'm a firm believer in a good&bad movie in 1. Nemesis is this. I've become a connisuer of the "Straight-to-video-SF" genre. Me and a friend of mine with some beers, a ritual. Great stuff, purists will go crazy. But I love dumb entertainment anyway. We have a way of getting REAL quality B-movie SF- the three criteria are as follows.
    1. Post Apocalyptic Future.
    2. With Christopher Lambert(the KING of straight to video)
    3. ...Unknown Terror Stalking...
    What annoys me about monster/alien SF flix is the "Newts" those IRRITATING characters like a rash in a bad place. And you just want them to DIE!DIE!DIE! Blair Witch ditto, I hated every minute of it and the only reason I watched the entire thing was to see that annoying bitch DIE in the most gruesome and depraved manner imaginable- I'd fooled myself into thinking there was going to be some point to it, some nasty thing waiting...
    Man, that girl REALLY ANNOYED ME!!! AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!