Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
That Mr Abercrombie! It seems a third of my reviews make either favourable or unfavourable comparison - many citing the clear influence of his books. I've either failed in my attempt to imitate him or surpassed him at his own game yadda yadda.

I'd never heard of him before getting published & whilst all I've heard is good stuff, it will be quite a while before I get around to reading his work. Given the circumstances I just relish being able to say I've not read him. Saying I only read him 'recently' just muddies the water.

I will do one day though! For now, it's The Whitefire Crossing for me.
For me it's Fritz Lieber - everyone always compares my books to his and mention how I must have been influenced by Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. On one hand I want to read them - because obviously they would be "right up my alley" but on the other - I don't feel I can until I'm 100% done writing Royce and Hadrian as I don't want to find myself changing how I write. I'm afraid I would end up trying to avoid "walking in their shoes" which currently any action on that part is purely coincidental. There is curiosity to see if there is similarities but for me the risk is just too great now.