Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Promotion zone: Rules

After much discussion and deliberation, we have decided to run, as a trial, a new Forum area where members can highlight their own books, films, trailers, websites and things of genre interest.

The Promotion Zone is just that: a place where new things can be examined by Members.

The area still follows all the usual SFFWorld rules.

This is a new area for us: and, looking at the rules, is not what we normally do at SFFWorld, up to this point.

So, it is a work in progress, and one we will watch very carefully.

Staff will be moving threads and posts that are placed in the usual Forum areas to this new Zone where it is felt to be more appropriate.

Thank you for your understanding.

Mark / Hobbit

Addendum:

Since we have offered up the Promotion Zone for members to post about their novels / stories / blogs etc, we expect NOT to see such advertisement posts in the main forum.

Furthermore, if you post visitor messages on a Member's page or send Private Messages to members advertising your novel / stories / blog / etc., this would be considered severe abuse of our forum guidelines and the spirit behind providing this forum for Promotion. As a result, you will be banned immediately.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Question: Retracted.
    Last edited by Steven L Jordan; March 4th, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Suggested format

Having read Pragmatist's inquiry on how to avoid making work for you guys, I've got a suggestion: all promotions should bear a timeline. In the first line of the promotional announcement, there should be a date of expiration. That way, the poster need not worry about trying to delete the post.

--WB

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks WB. It is possible, though I quite like the fact that we can see old posts, even when they've clearly expired.

Going to think some more on that one, and ask around.

Mark
    Mark

Clarification Format Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Thanks WB. It is possible, though I quite like the fact that we can see old posts, even when they've clearly expired.
    Hi Mark -- Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. My thought was not to delete expired offers, but to simply to ask the poster to clearly display the date. That way, anyone looking at an expired offer will know that it's over; and you hard-working Mods won't have to take on the responsibility.

Thanks for all you do -- WB

Blog Entries
    Ah: that's nice and simple, and totally makes sense.

Great idea.

Thanks, on both counts!

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Very glad to see this. I've blundered before. At least the promo/marketing can be confined to one section, and the readers have a choice of checking it out or not.

Gratefully,

Chris Stevenson

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chris. We have talked about something like this on and off for quite a while, to be honest, and there are as many potential pitfalls as benefits, but comments like yours suggest we might be doing something right.

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Hobbit, I think it's a stride in the right direction, but admittedly, it does have the potential for abuse. Fly-by spammers, who care nothing about meaningful contribution, can take advantage of the thread and it therefore has to be policed more often. On the other side, you have writers and readers who are curious about each other's books and stories, which can branch off and lead to some productive threads. Blog announcements can add to your links, and draw more readership here. Posted book reviews can add titles to your nominations threads.

All in all I think it's a wonderful thing, and I'm glad you've taken this step.

Chris

Banned
    Partly in England, partly in France and partly in Belize

Catherine Broughton

Yes, it will be great to be able to promote our own books. Where do I start ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    Yes, it will be great to be able to promote our own books. Where do I start ?!
    Me too!

Blog Entries
    Where do I start ?!
    Create a thread in the Promotion Zone (where you are now!)

Might be worth looking at some of them there already to give you a flavour of the sort of thing that's OK.

Mark
    Mark

Hey Hobbit,

I just wanted to check an aspect of the rules for this forum with you. I noticed M. R. Mathias' promotion threads have been taken down and he's been banned. Is there something he specifically did wrong for this to happen? I just want to make sure so that I know for any future promotions I may post.

Thanks!

Cirias

Blog Entries
    Hi Cirias.

Don't want to get into specifics about this one example, but I will say that it shouldn't be a problem on future promotions as long as members follow our (pretty broad) guidelines.

If in doubt, ask (as you have done!)

As for the risk of being banned, in most cases anyway we run the 'three strikes' rule, unless it is something very very serious. You have at least two chances to get it right.

Most members do get it right first time (again, usually by checking/asking!)

Mark
    Mark

Cheers for the clarification