Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Suggesting a genetic disposition to "powers" is not offensive, I don't think. Goodkind's "Seeker" universe made it very clear that only certain bloodlines have magic. And Harry Potter.

That, I would certainly not worry about unless you say something like no African or Asian descendants have magic. That would be racist and also completely ridiculous, as they are far more "magical" than us white folk for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by AZimmer23 View Post
    Suggesting a genetic disposition to "powers" is not offensive, I don't think. Goodkind's "Seeker" universe made it very clear that only certain bloodlines have magic. And Harry Potter.

That, I would certainly not worry about unless you say something like no African or Asian descendants have magic. That would be racist and also completely ridiculous, as they are far more "magical" than us white folk for the most part.
    Now who's being racist, hmm?

(Just kidding.)

Blog Entries
    THEM, you rock.

And I did say "for the most part." ; P!
    Last edited by AZimmer23; March 3rd, 2012 at 12:25 AM.

True, but we are talking about something that is the "real world" here, Goodkind probably wasn't too worried about offending Dharans (sp?). I would be essentially playing around with sterotypes, or at least my likely skewed image of cultures.

So let's I say that the folk in the Carpathian Mountain regions have a tendency towards powers that allow them to leech strength and energy, thus we have the legends of vampires strongly associated with this region which have become warped by time and misunderstanding, etc. Is that potentially offensive? I hope not as I'm not planning to designate any power as good or evil, but I'm slightly worried about it.

Fictional Mountain Man
    as a proud Carpathian, i am indeed offended. Just because my skin is almost transparent it is so pale and I am inhumanly good looking and totally buff and ripped doesn't mean i go around sucking the blood from peoples bodies. although i do. but it doesn't allow you to stereotype me. so quit it

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    People are going to get offended no matter what you do. If you try and second-guess everything, you'll never get started. And it's clearly not a big deal if your world is racist (by our real-world standards) - look at Avatar! Just turn your minorities into aliens/magic creatures and job's a good 'un.