Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Let us compile a list of lesser known authors that deserve more attention

As the title says...let us list lesser known authors that are, in our opinions, underrated and should get more attention.
    This gives the rest of us the chance to maybe discover new voices that capture us for hours on end in the days to come

Feel free to tell us why you think an author is deserving of more attention. And if you can, link to his/her homepage or a site with further information on the books.

Disclaimer:
    please don't start to debate in this thread if the mentioned authors are really underrated/not-well-known etc. . Sure, if someone names Robert Jordan in here i guess it is clear that this person didn't take the thread seriously...but i want to keep this thread argument-free. Thanks.

I'll start:

Carolyn Kephart and her Ryel Saga
    Author's Homepage: http://carolynkephart.com/

I loved the story. As it is some time ago that i read this, i do not remember many details. But, at the time, i liked her prose as well.

Michelle West and her Sun Sword Saga
    Author's Homepage: http://michellesagara.com/

Michelle has built a fascinating universe for her books. A well developed world and mythology. Her writing style is very unique and she has a real grasp for human emotion. These books really touched me on an emotional level.

Your turn...

I'll add David B. Coe, who has three completed series that are well-written, though they don't seem to get much attention on sff sites. These series are: The LonTobyn Chronicle, Winds of the Forelands, and Blood of the Southlands, a total of 11 books in all. He is also writing historical fantasy books under the name D. B. Jackson. Coe's website is at:

www.sff.net/people/davidbcoe/
    Last edited by Whiskeyjack; February 9th, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: website

I agree with the David Coe mention. I really enjoyed the Winds of the Forelands series. I would like to add Robert Redick and his Voyage of the Chathrand series, Jennifer Fallon has several books out and my favorite series of hers is the Second Sons trilogy that features a hero who uses his brains instead of magic to solve his problems.

The most underrated in my opinion is Michael J. Sullivan. His Riyria series has stayed with me long after I finished his books and I am really looking forward to his new series. Carol Berg, Rowena Cory Daniells, Fiona McIntosh, Brent Weeks, David Durham, Greg Keyes, and John Marco are all writers that I believe deserve a little more love for their work.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Carol Berg, Rowena Cory Daniells, Fiona McIntosh, Brent Weeks, David Durham, Greg Keyes, and John Marco are all writers that I believe deserve a little more love for their work.
    I'd agree with John Marco, who has a new book due any time now. And a thoroughly nice gent to boot.
    Mark

Can we get a definition for "lesser known", please? Is it within the context of genre-fandom as a whole or within this forum?

Because Michael J. Sullivan certainly does not count if it's the latter (as he's a frequent contributor here, and has been read by many of our regular posters).

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Is it within the context of genre-fandom as a whole...
    Yes, this is the definition for this thread, please. I am very new to this forum and would like a wider horizon for this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglachel View Post
    As
    Disclaimer:
    please don't start to debate in this thread if the mentioned authors are really underrated/not-well-known etc. .
    Good luck with that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Myst View Post
    The most underrated in my opinion is Michael J. Sullivan. His Riyria series has stayed with me long after I finished his books and I am really looking forward to his new series. Carol Berg, Rowena Cory Daniells, Fiona McIntosh, Brent Weeks, David Durham, Greg Keyes, and John Marco are all writers that I believe deserve a little more love for their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Because Michael J. Sullivan certainly does not count if it's the latter (as he's a frequent contributor here, and has been read by many of our regular posters).
    Yeah, you can hardly read three or four threads where Mr. Sullivan's work doesn't come up in discussion here (or where Michael himself doesn't drop in and say hello!). In the wider genre, he's fairly well know, or is at least gaining a reputation since he went from self-published/small press to traditionally published, which hardly goes unnoticed.

Brent Weeks is a New York Times Best selling author which is about as far away as any writer an get from lesser known and David Anthony Durham is a bestseller and winner of the John W. Campbell award, a genre award for best new writer in the genre. Again, hardly lesser known.

However, I'll agree with John Marco as lesser known, at least now. He published a fairly strong and popular trilogy at the turn of the century but has been laying relatively low the past couple of years. His new novel The Forever Knight publishes in a couple of months, I've got an ARC.

What time is recess here?

Ya, this is a really hard one. Because as Rob said, some mentioned already hit my radar very early in fantasy reading, hardly unknown.

But there is a difference in what is known around forums like this and people IRL that I talk fantasy with. I am reguarly on this forum and one other well known one, and even between these two the differences are staggering. And those well known on forums like these are met with blank stares with some of my RL friends.

For instance, I couldn't find copies of KJ Parker at any local library, and only a couple selections at the local book store. I have recommended said author many times to RL friends who have never heard the name. Yet around fantasy forums, a well known author. Or Juliett McKenna. I have not seen her discussed on forums at all, and when looking through my fairly vast list of Goodreads friends I found only a couple who have read her at all. Yet my used book store had at least two copies of her entire Einarinn series, so someone is reading her. So which of those two authors is unknown and deserves more attention?

Plus I have seen this type of thread on another forum, and ya, it is going to be a lot of 'NO WAY IS THAT A UNKNOWN AUTHOR!'

Indeed, Skynjay. It's all about what we experience within our - well - experiences that defines whether we think an author is well-known or not.

But I'll give it a stab, anyway.

Jon Sprunk
    Forum semi-regular, but I don't think he really got huge levels of discussion after his first novel. But his Shadow Saga (I believe that's the name) is a really good series and one I've enjoyed, and I've not really heard anything particularly negative about them. Oh, yeah. #TeamKit.

J.A. Pitts
    Yes, call me biased. I have a signed ARC, a signed cover flat, the first three books in hardcover and I've also interviewed John for this site. But I don't think he gets the attention he deserves, and this is - mostly - because he writes urban fantasy. I think his books are overlooked for various reasons, and this is a shame, because I have enjoyed the series so far.

Ari Marmell
    He's done a couple of tie-in books, none of which I've read, but I've read three of his original works and in particular The Goblin Corps stands out as a really good book. It's a little long winded, sure, but it's got a great set of characters and a lot of really funny moments, and I just don't think he's discussed on any real level. Which is a shame, because everyone should read The Goblin Corps!

*sigh*

Do you think it is possible that you hold yourselves closer to the "rules" of my OP? I'd really appreciate it.

In the end, many many things about fantasy reading are a matter of backround and/or taste. So if that is an argument in the line of "well we can't really discuss it if we don't know what you mean by....", we could close the whole forum down. I think we all know that there is no objective answer so it should be clear that i was asking for your personal list as you see it (and just in case it isn't obivous: this implies within YOUR circle of influence of online-forums, online-bookstores and real-world bookstores).

So again: List what YOU think are underrated and/or lesser known authors that deserve more attention.
    If you really need to discuss the general topic of "when is someone lesser known etc. etc." then please open up a new thread. I don't want this cluttering up the thread (as it almost does right now...so i hope we can up the ratio of real contributions versus discussions soon). If you keep it very short, like Loerwyn did in the post above, and than make a contribution to the topic, i guess that is fine. But no more text-walls that only discuss and not contribute to the real topic, please.
    I hope you can respect my request.

Thanks.

Paul Kearney is the obvious one. A brilliant author who, despite near-unanimous critical acclaim, has never broken out into a larger audience. He has a very good epic fantasy series (The Monarchies of God), a great alt-history trilogy (The Ten Thousand trilogy) and a series of excellent stand-alone novels, of which the best is A Different Kingdom.

I think Carol Berg deserves a mention. I recently read the first two in her Rai-Kirah trilogy (Transformation and Revelation) and thought they were fantastic. I'll be reading the final one, Restoration, very soon. It's a first person narrative and reminds me a lot of Robin Hobb---the main character really suffers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglachel View Post
    *sigh*

Do you think it is possible that you hold yourselves closer to the "rules" of my OP? I'd really appreciate it.

In the end, many many things about fantasy reading are a matter of backround and/or taste. So if that is an argument in the line of "well we can't really discuss it if we don't know what you mean by....", we could close the whole forum down. I think we all know that there is no objective answer so it should be clear that i was asking for your personal list as you see it (and just in case it isn't obivous: this implies within YOUR circle of influence of online-forums, online-bookstores and real-world bookstores).

So again: List what YOU think are underrated and/or lesser known authors that deserve more attention.
    If you really need to discuss the general topic of "when is someone lesser known etc. etc." then please open up a new thread. I don't want this cluttering up the thread (as it almost does right now...so i hope we can up the ratio of real contributions versus discussions soon). If you keep it very short, like Loerwyn did in the post above, and than make a contribution to the topic, i guess that is fine. But no more text-walls that only discuss and not contribute to the real topic, please.
    I hope you can respect my request.

Thanks.
    *sigh*

If you had read the 'wall of text' you may have seen that I added two names to the conversation, along with where I would consider them underrated. But if i need to put them in bullet points, here are a few more.

*Glenda Larke - I only found her because I found a copy of the first book of the Watergivers trilogy in a used book store.

*Kate Elliot - I think she is a best seller, so may not belong on the list. But a quick run through my Goodreads shows that only 3 of my friends have listed the 'Crossroads' series, so I think more people need to read her.

*I will second Wert's mention of Kearney, even if the ending of Monarchies left a lot to be desired (which I understand came from publisher pressure and isn't his fault).

I did read your post.
    But instead of talking about who didn't know the books/authors and which bookstore had what books, it would have been a lot more helpful and on topic if you told us why you think those two are good authors. And icing on the cake would have been some linkage to author's webpage or informative reviews etc. .

And don't misunderstand me, i'm still grateful for your participation! And i didn't want to point my finger specifically at you...but if you felt like i did, then maybe you knew yourself that you could have stuck a bit closer to what this thread is for

Anyway, thanks for the bullet points list.

On topic:

I very much agree on Kearney.
    And i'd like to add Janny Wurts to the list. I have taken up her War of Light and Shadow again and i think she really is a talented storyteller. But i can't remember when i last saw a thread about her (other than on this forum, that is).