Dungeons and Dragons - you playing?

So for about a year now I have been playing D & D. I get together monthly with a group of fellas to slay the undead, delve secret chambers and try basically to stay alive. The DM can be a tuff son-of-a-gun. I never played as a teen, though it was very much a desire. My group thought it was too nerdy so alas I did not play.

Anyway, I have been thoroughly enjoying the experience. I literally have gone from not knowing what in the hell initiative and AC were to figuring out best how to max out rank points and use my feats to cause the most damage possible.

I am a Rogue/Swashbuckler/Scarlet Corsair - basically a pirate named for a short story character I introduced here i.e. Black J'oh.

Anyone else playing? Who do you play? Lets geek out a little. Go!

I haven't played in a shamefully long time. Last time I played PnP I had a really fun experience playing Rogue and going for the Dungeon Crawler (I think that's what it was called?) prestige class. Basic masonry skills got me out of a lot of trouble.

We always have some good laughs and I am constantly amazed at what can happen in the game. People are very imaginative. Me, I'm the kind a guy that once I get into something it's whole hog. Been on a search for downloadable players manuals etc - been occupying too much time but it's like a treasure hunt.

We are playing this weekend and our characters are entered in some kind of team vs team battle royale in an arena battle scenario (actually 4 teams in the first round). I am in it strictly for the gold and fame!! I am feeling much better now that I know our tank-like dwarf will be there. He takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

I played AD&D back in the ninties and enjoyed it until my buddy created a magical item "floating boob of health" then it just became ridiculous! Lately, found World of Darkness but have yet to actually find a group to run a game... World of Darkness is more of a horror/thriller type game and seems very promising...

I played online with some friends until the DM got sick of DMing. He was DMing for a bunch of drow and expecting them to do good deeds and help out for free.

My partner and I did a session last week, but we weren't super strict with the rules.

I have played for going on 30 years. Right now I am playing a game called Pathfinder. It is based on D&D Version 3.5. D&D is currently on version 4 and version 5 is coming.

Jim

Our game is 3.5, the DM does not like 4 and I don't know any better. We are getting together next weekend and I can't wait. I am desperately trying to lay my hands on some more gold to upscale my cutlass!!!

Haven't played D&D since 3rd edition. Someone at my friendly local game store is trying to get an AD&D campaign going, and since that's the system in which I spent most of my D&D time, I'm ridiculously excited about joining them.

It's been way too long before I even cracked an RPG book. I have D&D 3.0. When 3.5 came out, I stopped buying the books. Would love to give it a try again, but I don't think I'd want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy 4.0. I'd probably delve through all of my AD&D materials and do it that way.

I had a thief/mage that I loved playing.

For me, the heyday of D&D was the AD&D system that introduced new worlds instead of tweaking the rules every year or so. Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Birthright. Loved all of those boxed sets.

Quote Originally Posted by CrastersBabies View Post
    It's been way too long before I even cracked an RPG book. I have D&D 3.0. When 3.5 came out, I stopped buying the books. Would love to give it a try again, but I don't think I'd want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy 4.0. I'd probably delve through all of my AD&D materials and do it that way.

I had a thief/mage that I loved playing.

For me, the heyday of D&D was the AD&D system that introduced new worlds instead of tweaking the rules every year or so. Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Birthright. Loved all of those boxed sets.
    There is a 5th edition coming out soon, so I wouldn't spend a lot on 4th edition. If you liked 3.0/3.5 have a look at Pathfinder. I really didn't like the 4th ed, but I loves me some 3.5. Pathfinder is pretty much a continuation of 3.5 rules.

My buddies and I decidied to relive old D&D memories, so we decided to try it again. (Codeword in emails - "Poker night").

I decided to try 4th edition, because we had been playing AD&D and that was a bit too archaic for guys who like Risk more than anything. I decided 3.5or Pathfinder was way too hard to learn - and since I have to teach it to my lazy friends, I didn't want to go that route. So I bought miniatures, books galore, downloaded modules from the website and prepped a whole 4th ed. campaign. We played a few weeks, but 3 are fathers and have crazy schedules, and half our time was talking about stuff not game related. It lagged out a few months later as school started again and schedules got crazy.

Nevertheless, I think the 4th edition was a great way to get into it quickly, and the guys seemed to like it. Once baseball season is over, we'll be be trying some more poker nights.

There is a local guild in Houston that has games at a games store, and I keep trying to go and join for a few nights, but my schedule isn't always conducive to play. They're playing Pathfinder now, and I really want to check it out. I don't mind learning it as a player, but I don't want to try DMing it without a nice education as a player.