Help with book title - plot involving "focus"

This is really bugging me - can't quite recall the title or author of a book I read some time in the last few years. I've looked up and down my shelves but can't find it. Probably hiding in plain sight...

The two plot points I recall are the protagonist gaining control of the AIs/drones or whatever whilst disabled or trussed up using a blink code to access low level protocols in the devices (put there centuries earlier by the family trading business or some such) and the use of something called "focus" to put groups of people into a sort of hypnotic state in which they can be highly productive but still exercise high level of judgement.

Can someone please put me out of my misery!

Cheers, JustIntonation

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Sounds very much like A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. Especially the 'Focus' aspect. In fact, all of it.

Just checked out the Wikipedia article and that's definitely the one I was looking for Chuffalump - many thanks! Now I just have to find which shelf I put it on! I was wanting to refresh my memory on the concepts he canvasses around the Smartdust/Localizers.

Great forum!