Started with Serenity. Now where?

I've been flipping through comics for years, but I've never known where to start, and have had lots of books to distract me. I finally found Serenity - I adore the TV series and film - but there's not heaps of them. I also read The Walking Dead, but, alas, cannot afford to buy them all at once.

Any suggestions?

I did like Iron Man and the Green Lantern (and not just because they looked like Robert Downy Jr and Ryan Reynolds on the screen), and Thor. But there's quite a lot of some of them.

Hi. My favorite comic of all time is Neil Gainman's Sandman. It is very dark and very violent, though, but it's also smart, touching and breathtaking in concept.

Doomfarer
    Last year I forked out a ruinous amount for the twelve volumes of "The Trigan Empire." I had two of the books that had been published years before so I could not claim ignorance about doing it. And, yes just to see the cutting machines, white masked raiders and Trigo's circumnavigation of his world again has been worth it.

Ah Sandman. I tried that as my first foray into comics, because I like his books, but I admit it threw me a little. And I might have started at the end - an unintentionally common occurrence, but it's all the library had. Perhaps I'll give it another go now . . .

I'm also reading The Green Lantern (New 52) series as I really liked the, yes, movie. Especially Sinestro, and not just because he had Mark Strong's voice. He was interesting.

Michael B, I've just Googled 'The Trigan Empire' and yes, it is a little out of my price range. But it's British-written! I swear I don't get half the jokes in these American ones.

Are you mostly into superhero type stuff, or are you open to lots of different content types? If you are wide open, I would highly recommend a few different ones...

Y: The Last Man is one I just finished. In the near future, an apocalypse happens that kills every male in the world. Except for one man and his monkey. Spans the globe, funny, suspenseful, sad, and excellent overall.

Invincible is a superhero comic but not as bound up as your typical Marvel comics. Created by the same guy who created The Walking Dead. Funny and exciting, but be warned, it is very violent and there is plenty of gore if that turns you off.

Irredeemable is another superhero comic, but not like one you have ever read before. The basic premise is this... what if an all powerful being, basically like a more powerful version of Superman, and who was the greatest superhero on Earth, cracked under the pressure and went insane? It is pretty intense and nothing that the villain can ever do to make up for what he has done, but once you learn his story you still have to empathize with him on some level as well. I like it a lot!

Elfquest is very enjoyable, at least the original quest series is (I haven't read the others yet). This one started back in 1978 and was a great read for me when I found it back in the 80s. I remember being moved, as a teenage boy no less, to tears with a certain event that took place in this series. Lucky for you, since you mentioned being a bit light on money to buy the books, you can read every one of these ones online at their website in the link I provided. Can't go wrong with free! And yes, it is legally free since it is the creators and owners of the series that posted them up to be read for free

Hey, thanks for the recommendations. All of those sound intriguing, and a bit different. Will definitely be having a look once I've reached payday. Except ElfQuest which I'm loading now...

As you're British, you might want to check out pretty much anything by Bryan Talbot (an award-winning comic writer/artist from the north of England). He's one of my favourites.

http://www.bryan-talbot.com/art/index.php

I read the Trigan Empire years ago but I think I lost it when my parents' house flooded.