Tales with female teachers and male apprentices

No I am not doing this merely to oppose a thread speaking about the opposite.

Though this is something I'm rather interested in. It doesn't seem like there any out there. I really don't care how romantic it gets so long as it turn into cheese and the teacher does not end up subservient or deferring to the student if it heads that direction. It seems like a disgusting endorsement of patriarchy when that happens.

Believe it or not I am a man. In case you were wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Though this is something I'm rather interested in. It doesn't seem like there any out there.
    Off the top of my head I can think of at least two that have sections in this mode -- WOT when Rand is supposed to be learning from whats-her-name the old Aes Sedai (sp?), and Wise Man's Fear when Kvothe goes to learn martial arts. If I think of others later, I'll post em....

I see.I've never heard of this one before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Off the top of my head I can think of at least two that have sections in this mode -- WOT when Rand is supposed to be learning from whats-her-name the old Aes Sedai (sp?), and Wise Man's Fear when Kvothe goes to learn martial arts. If I think of others later, I'll post em....
    Don't the two actually go into the "and the woman end up deferring to him" as it goes on?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
    Don't the two actually go into the "and the woman end up deferring to him" as it goes on?
    Not really. Moiraine maybe a little bit, but I never really felt she was deferring to Rand, more that she was worried about pushing him away if she kept being "strict" with him. And certainly not with Kvothe and Vashet-he was still getting his butt kicked by a little Adem girl when he left, and Vashet was far from being deferential.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    Not really. Moiraine maybe a little bit
    I wasn't even thinking of Moiraine, though she fits too. I was thinking of the old scary lady, whose name I still can't think of. -- ahh, I looked it up. Cadsuane. Also Sorilea and the other Wise Ones probably fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I wasn't even thinking of Moiraine, though she fits too. I was thinking of the old scary lady, whose name I still can't think of. -- ahh, I looked it up. Cadsuane. Also Sorilea and the other Wise Ones probably fit.
    Ah yeah, Cadsuane and Sorilea. I guess the WoT series fits pretty well, at least along Rand's storyline. He always seems to have some lady or other trying to influence him. Moiraine was the only one I ever liked, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    Ah yeah, Cadsuane and Sorilea. I guess the WoT series fits pretty well, at least along Rand's storyline. He always seems to have some lady or other trying to influence him. Moiraine was the only one I ever liked, though.
    All three DO end up utterly deferential to him, though.