Has anyone read Jesse Bullington's new book, The Enterprise of Death, yet? I'm intrigued, but unsure. I went back and looked up in my journal what I wrote about his first book, because I remember having mixed feelings about it.

This is what I had to say, in part, about The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart:

By the end, I was actually ready to be done with the book. The anti-heroes as main characters left me with nothing to root for or hope for and the bleak secondary characters did little to relieve that pressure. When the book never delivered on the promise of a graverobbing adventure (well, it sort of did once, but it was unsatisfying) I found myself disappointed. I kept waiting for it, but it never came, and I think that led me to enjoy what I was reading about even less.

At the end of the day, this is a well written book, but not one I enjoyed reading and not one I’d likely recommend to too many people. I do applaud Mr. Bullington for not only getting published, but also for sticking to his guns about the kind of story he wanted to write. I hope he continues to do so because I think with more practice, his prose will get more fluid, his plots tighter, and his characters might develop the ability to be enjoyed even if not liked. When I read a book, I want to have at least one character to enjoy reading about, otherwise, no matter how good the writing, no matter how extensive and thought out the world building, no matter how irresistible the plot, without an enjoyable character, there is little point to continue.
I'm curious to know what you thought of the new book, if you've read it.

Thanks!