Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm not entirely sure I need to do spoiler boxes here, but I'll do them to be on the safe side.

How exactly does the grey king come to the conclusion that he can use Locke to impersonate himself in the first place though? If Locke is as careful and thorough as Lynch would have us believe then why would the grey king want to use such a small player for anything?
    Spoiler:
    Because Locke presents the image of a small time braggart sneak thief and con artist running a small crew out of the temple to the criminal underworld. And a small time thief is exactly what the Grey King needs as a patsy for his revenge scheme. A big time thief would have resources, reputation, etc., and not want to or be desperate enough to agree to impersonate the Grey King. The Grey King needed someone small time who had secrets like Locke did who he could coerce and bribe to do it. Also, Locke was well known to Barvasi and had an association with Barvasi's daughter. Therefore he knew Barvasi and would be better able to perpetuate the con, and his role in it as the Grey King would be more upsetting to Barvasi and his family, and also it would be believable to Barvasi that Locke was the Grey King and knew enough about Barvasi's operations to do the killings. Locke looked like a great patsy precisely because he was so secretive in the criminal underworld.

I think my wifes problem was that she felt that Lynch was so thorough and explained everything else so well yet never fully explained how if Locke was so careful to not let his true colours shine that the grey king would ever find out about his mummers game in the first place.
    Spoiler:
    But Locke wasn't careful. That was the point of the story. Chains was always trying to teach Locke discipline, carefulness and leadership, as shown in the flashbacks. Whereas Locke was impulsive, tempermental, over-confident, grandiose and often lacked leadership smarts, and thus often made mistakes. In the wake of Chains' death and Sabetha leaving, Locke and his crew had become careless. The Grey King relentlessly studied both the criminals of Camorr and the nobility whom Locke was fleecing for his revenge. He didn't always follow Chains' rules correctly. Therefore, it was relatively easy for the Grey King to twig to what Locke was up to and choose him as his patsy. From the events of the story, Locke learns to be more careful and what it costs if you do not (the loss of his friends.)

Lynch does give very clear portraits of how Locke, Jean and a few others think. But he does not give you the inner workings of every character, nor should he logically in a crime thriller. The Grey King is meant to be partially mysterious, though at the end, we do get to see inside his mind with his history. We don't know exactly how the spy mistress of Camorr gets all her info either, but we do know that she has spies at every level of society. So it's not a deus ex machina or handwaving. It's logical that Locke's secret is uncovered by some because he takes more and more risks that reveal that secret. To say that when a character says, I found out about your secret that this is impossible when the gist of the story is that Locke keeps acting before he thinks and making mistakes would seem more wishful thinking than discovering a plothole.

I do think that Lynch has some minor problems with plotting. The barrel incident with Locke was striking but not very logically done. Locke's elaborate con to get a set of clothes instead of just stealing them quickly didn't make a lot of sense to me, though I enjoyed the con. And there is a major plot problem with Red Seas, though it doesn't come up until the end and most of the book is very interesting regardless of it. But Lynch's writing, descriptions, characters, dialogue, and use of crime and fantasy elements more than makes up for the quibbles. And the crime revenge plot of Lies I found pretty logical.

Rogue Warrior
    No, I gotta go with my gut, and agree with homeboy here..ask Scott...he'd agree with me. lol
    Hell, really I dont know....good arguement

Rogue Warrior
    Y'all forget, you gotta make room for Sabetha...pissed off ex girlfriend or whatever...get ready....thats the way it is...ever had a psycho ex? You go go Scotty boy.......