LaerCarroll.com

"We're well on the road to becoming hundredaires."

I just received a report from Amazon about my ebook earnings so far. It matches another recent one from Barnes & Noble. The title line of this post (taken from "The Big Bang Theory" TV show) sums up the reports very well.

From both I have so far received not quite $100, about a third from B&N and the rest from Amazon. This is from a $2.99 novel which went online in early November, and a $4.99 novel and a $.99 short which went online in early January.

This includes 3 sets of Amazon sales from the UK and 1 from Germany. So far nothing from France, Spain, or Italy where they are also available on Amazon. (I say SETS because so far it looks as if someone who buys one item from me also buys the other two, but this may be an illusion.)

So in the first four months about a dozen total strangers bought books from me. I don't know if any more will. Perhaps the books will remain earningless in inventory until Amazon or B&N decide they can better use the tiny number of bytes the three estories take up. But there is some (small) satisfaction that all the work I did to bring this about paid off, as limited as the pay off was.

This was encouraging enough for me to convert the first novel to print format and publish it on Amazon's CreateSpace a week ago. I wasn't sure what price to assign to it, but Amazon's rules for recovering costs meant that I had to set the price to $9.99 as a minimum to avoid each copy at a loss.

My lady friend bought a copy though she will not read it. (It's not the sort of book she likes.) And two other people bought it, neither of whom I know. They could have heard of it from my Web site, or through my Amazon Author page, but I've no way of knowing.

As of this writing I'm finishing the last few chapters of a third novel. Once the ebook version goes online I'll begin converting it and my second novel to CreateSpace.

So this is a preview for those of you who may want to go the route I'm going. It's a lot of work, and I don't expect to become rich overnight, or ever. Nor do I even hope for it. I may write fantasy, but when it comes to my daily life I don't indulge in it. Instead, I'm happy with the tiny but many daily rewards of creating.

And now I must get back to it. I've a plot point I have to figure out.

Hi Laer--

From one hundredaire to another: It means you've turned pro. Congrats.

Next thing we know, the "Occupy" movement will be camped out on our doorsteps.

--WB

And then you notice the following keyword hit on your website:

"K M Tolan Rogue Dancer torrent"

Kerry

Hang in there, Laer! You can't begin to imagine the prestige bestowed upon you when you crest the waters of two-hundredaire. Call me then. We'll talk astro-physics at a 5-star resort in Hawaii.

Man of Ways and Means kennychaffin's Avatar
    Can I be a hundredaire?

LaerCarroll.com
    I should mention a few more details. The accounting for Amazon and B&N is automatic and (if you select that option) your royalties are automatically directly deposited into your bank account.

The terms are a little different for the two companies, but generally they hold your money for two months before they pay. The reason given is that if there are returns they have the money on hand to pay the unhappy buyer.

This also allows them to collect interest on that money, of course, but that's the price of doing business with them. Not a bad deal, considering that print publishers sometimes are much slower than that in paying and that the payment goes through your agent, who may also delay payment.

Print publishers also are sometimes poor at giving out details on when your books are sold. Amazon and B&N on the other hand give a day-by-day breakdown.

I dream of the day I become a hundredaire. I think I was about a fortyaire last I looked .