Cloned Wooly Mammoth Anyone?

There seems to be race going on to reintroduce extinct mammoths via cloning. Will Jean Auel clone her heroine, Ayla, as well ?

What concerns me is we won't get mammoths out of this. We'll get hairy elephants.

The only way to raise a woolly mammoth clone is to use an elephant surrogate. As elephants are highly intelligent animals with their own culture (possibly even sentient), the baby will think he or she is an elephant and be culturally an elephant.

I'm not sure how much we'd really learn from that and whether it's really fair on the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Window Bar View Post
    There seems to be race going on to reintroduce extinct mammoths via cloning. Will Jean Auel clone her heroine, Ayla, as well ?
    Science has made some amazing advances to be sure, but I don't think we're at the point yet that we can clone a fictional character.
    We need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon, lol.

Especially one that's a...okay. I'll say it.

Total Mary Sue.

The really important thing about this: mammoth steaks.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Trying to think where in SF this has been covered.... I'm thinking John Varley's Mammoth.

Any other takers?

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer P View Post
    As elephants are highly intelligent animals with their own culture (possibly even sentient)
    Well, they're self aware, that's for sure.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Trying to think where in SF this has been covered.... I'm thinking John Varley's Mammoth.

Any other takers?

Mark
    I've read the Varley book - it was ok.
    I'll raise you the video game Syberia - art by Benoit Sokal and good storyline with steampunk flavor.

I would like to see them to use DNA retrieved frrom neanderthal bones and human DNA to locate and isolate enough chromosomes to recreate a neaderthal. Just to see what they looked like. I would create about five hundred of them. Train them in primative living skills then release them into an isolated area of Alaska or the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

or

Hopefully they can find ancient frozen cave bears, saber tooth tigers, or dire wolves something dangerous that has a chance of running amok.

Quote Originally Posted by Counterpunch View Post
    The really important thing about this: mammoth steaks.
    I would tend to agree. We have enough problems on this rock with the elephant to human ratio.

I think the elephants would support this idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by D.R. Stevenson View Post
    I would like to see them to use DNA retrieved frrom neanderthal bones and human DNA to locate and isolate enough chromosomes to recreate a neaderthal. Just to see what they looked like.
    Apparently, all you have to do is look at a red head. The red hair colour is descended from the Neamderthals, so anyone with red hair has more Neanderthal genes than others. Which is also probably why we only make up 2% of the population.

Man of Ways and Means kennychaffin's Avatar
    jurassic park here we come.

There was an interesting Wooly Mammoth story in the latest "Years Best SF of 2011" from Gardner -

"Mammoths of the great plains by Eleanor Arnason.

and slightly related: "Jackie's Boy" about sentient Elephants.
    Last edited by kennychaffin; June 4th, 2012 at 06:33 AM.