Best Monster books

Hi guys. I just got finished read Relic and really enjoyed it. Much better than the movie. I know there are sequals and i do plan on looking at them but....can you guys recommend any other monster books? Something where there is a monster roaming around and people are trying to solve the mystery of what it is and then fight it. Thanks.

You might try Monster by Frank Peretti, Crota, Evil Whispers, Breed, or Darker Than Night by Owl Goingback, Lurking Fear by H.P. Lovecraft, Covenant by John Everson, Watchers or Phantoms by Dean Koontz, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Cujo by Stephen King, The Return by Bentley Little (one of my favorite horror novels), The Beast House series by Richard Laymon,The Pines by Robert Dunbar, um... that's all I've got for now. I'm probably missing some obvious ones but I'm having a brain fart right now, lol. Crota or Watchers may be the closest to The Relic
    Last edited by Bob Gray; March 14th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.

I have not read Relic, so do not know the style. But you really should give Lovecraft a whirl. He can make just about any story crawl under your skin, even if at face value they seem a bit cheesy, and not horrifying.

Plus, many of his stories are quite short, so there is no large investment of time for you. And I believe most can be read online for free.

A few oddments.

The now too-little-remembered Doris Piserchia: The Spinner, and also The Fluger. Terry Carr, Cirque (well, not "wandering around"). John Wyndham, The Kraken Wakes (aka Out of the Deeps).

If you don't mind the monster being human,
    Red Dragon & The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (outstanding horror/thrillers)
    The Dead Letters by Tom Piccirilli (quite good)
    The Snowman's Children by Glen Hirshberg (excellent novel, but this has less of the action/adventure feel of the others above)

More supernatural or s.f.,
    Coffin County by Gary Braunbeck (not a favorite, but along the lines of what you're asking for, with a twist)
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (a bit off what you're asking for, but not too far outside the parameters)
    I am Legend by Richard Matheson (excellent, though again a bit off the parameters you mention)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King
    Southern Gods by John Jacob Horner (first novel, with some flaws, but a decent read)
    The Mall of Cthulhu by Seamus Cooper (comic relief)

Some I'm looking to read,
    13 Bullets by David Wellington
    The Totem by David Morrell
    Nightwalker by Thomas Tessier

Randy M.

weightless astronaut
    Maybe Perdido St. Station?