Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries
    I am so ****ing tickled that this ****ing forum ****ing removes ****ing foul ****ing language before it even ****ing goes up. Talk about taking the ****ing wind out of my ****ing rhetorical ****ing sails.

Blog Entries
    That was a test. Only a test. I truly hope there is not a counter (human or computer) of bad words that will get me in trouble. I respect everyone here and don't (normally) curse on forums for that reason. Why waste a good eptithet on an impersonal forum?

Bewildered Visitor Wojciehowicz's Avatar
    I refer you all to The Last Action Hero. Anything which doesn't allow certain very common linguistic expressions is conspicuous by their absence to any audience used to hearing them. I'm pretty sure most American and Western sci-fi/fantasy people know and expect those words in any situation remotely like the one they are in themselves. Near-future, military adventure, etc. And they would most likely not think that in the far future, no one has curses anymore. Why would they? What in all of human history would give that impression? We've always had them, we've never seen a point of history that suddenly did away with them completely, and so why would the future be different?

Swear away. Everyone on every planet I know of in my stories does at some point, whether or not I take the time to translate for the reader. And, some are better left untranslated as the writers of Farscape posited on more than one occasion.

pragmatist
    Good Heavens, this one struck up even more responses.

Thank you all for responding.
    Gumboot: shevdon:
    I didn't worry about it as such, but I did pause for thought as I've never written a book before and don't really read novels, this being the case I don't know if there are any rules, so I thought I would ask some real writers.
    The "review" on Goodreads just made me wonder if using the 'F' word in novels is frowned upon. Your comments and others posted here have just reinforced my belief that the dialog should fit the characters and the situations they find themselves in.
    Brian Kittrell:
    Looking at the majority of the responses I don't think any kind of warning or rating is required.
    TXShusker:
    "People Cuss", yes they do, that's exactly what I thought, that's why I wrote the dialogue as I did.
    Wojciehowicz:
    "Swear away", I'm doing exactly that in my sequel, as you say there are certain situations where the lack of swear words would just be rediculous.
    AZimmer23:
    "I am so ****ing tickled at this ****ing forum", great, love it.
    Warfitz45:
    Noted, but you do seem to be in the minority here. I work in an industrial environment in the Australian bush, so swearing is something I do and hear all the time.

As to whether or not the 1 star "review" helps rather than hinders, only time will tell.