Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What fantasy book would be easy to portray in a movie/tv series?

When I read books I often try to visualize the scenes and expressions of particular characters, almost like I'm the director of a movie. There are a great many books I have read where I just could not justify them coming to the big screen. There'd have be too much monologue by characters for anything to make sense. A lot magical systems use inner thought to work. The readers could feel the struggle with them through description of the magic user's mind.

Take Name of the Wind for an example, I think it would be absolutely impossible to implement it into some live-action ordeal. Every little action (through "magic" as Kvothe's world sees it) requires the reader's to grapple with abstract ideas for it to make sense. I'm not sure how a TV/Movie would explain that without a huge narration of some sort which then would turn that in to a read-a-loud.

On the contrary I believe the Mistborn series would make a great TV/Movie. Its magic system is very physical. I can invision blue lines extending from the body connection to each metal source. I could see (through CGI and slo-mo) the amazingness of Atium.

Have you any other magic systems that could be visually comprehended in their entirety?

I think Abercrombie has a very cinematic style, especially in the First Law trilogy and I guess also in The Heroes. Which stands to reason, since he is a freelance film editor......

I think Sanderson, Abercrombie and Gemmell's work is really well suited to screen, they all have that cinematic vibe contrarius mentioned, and their dialogue is all quite strong. You'd miss a lot of the introspective qualities that are a big part of why I love Gemmell and Abercrombie especially, but hey, there are sacrifices with every transition to another medium. Oh how I now wish Gemmell's Troy trilogy was used for the big screen rather than the Brad Pitt film.

But no book is 'easy' to portray.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I hope the Ketty Jay books will be filmed. They would work very well with a budget in the Pirates of the Carribean bracket.

for smaller budgets, I would like to see some Patricia McKillip or Guy Gavriel Kay on the big screen. I thought there was a project for Lions of All-Rassan already approved, but it seems to have dissapeared.

Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter

It'd be as boring as sin, but it would be incredibly easy to do

I'd love to see Feist's Magician as a cinematic duology. No need for any of the others though.

I agree, Mistborn would make a great movieverse. I'd probably like it more than the books, if properly done.

Also, China Mieville's Bas-Lag books... largely because I want someone to make The Scar before Mads Mikelsen is too old to play Uther Doul.

Rogue Warrior
    I think Redicks Chathrand Voyage wouldnt be too hard, Giant ship CGI, find cool locations, good actors/ piece of cake!

The Gentlemen Bastards should be pretty easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    ... Gemmell's work is really well suited to screen, they all have that cinematic vibe contrarius mentioned...
    I'm reading Winter Warriors right now and was thinking about this very question, how this book would make a great movie. Plenty of action, suspense, and excellent pacing for a story that could be wrapped up easily in a single movie. It would also be a great vehicle to showcase 3 aging male actors as the titular winter warriors (Sean Connery as Kebra, for sure), fighting one final battle for honor and glory against seemingly impossible odds (to save the world, of course).
    Last edited by Whiskeyjack; March 20th, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added casting

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'm reading Winter Warriors right now and was thinking about this very question, how this book would make a great movie. Plenty of action, suspense, and excellent pacing for a story that could be wrapped up easily in a single movie. It would also be a great vehicle to showcase 3 aging male actors as the titular winter warriors (Sean Connery as Kebra, for sure), fighting one final battle for honor and glory against seemingly impossible odds (to save the world, of course).
    I haven't read that one, but Dark Moon would be great for similar reasons.

Current special effects, used judiciously, could make some very good fantasy movies out of books:
    A Fine and Private Place & Tamsin by Peter Beagle (the latter started life as an idea requested by Disney)
    The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll
    Our Lady of Darkness also the Fahfrd and Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes

I expect several others to come to mind as soon as I send this.

Randy M.
    Last edited by Randy M.; March 21st, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Kirsten Britain's Green Rider series would work well. I'd love to see something from Valdemar, too.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer P View Post
    Kirsten Britain's Green Rider series would work well. I'd love to see something from Valdemar, too.
    Whats Valdemar?

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter

It'd be as boring as sin, but it would be incredibly easy to do
    I think it would be lots of fun and not boring at all.

I think The Dresden Files would work. Wait what?

Maybe Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards would work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I think it would be lots of fun and not boring at all.
    Maybe if they did the whole series, but the first book itself just isn't all that exciting.

Way Too Human
    Tanith Lee's "Kill the Dead" would be very easy to convert to the big/small screen.

I absolutely loved that book.