Suggestions wanted....

I wrote myself in a corner with one of my characters. Without going into too much detail, this guy is sort of a recluse, not by choice. He was cybernetically augmented but escaped and is now in hiding. His only friend is an AI that hangs out in cyberspace (nothing groundbreaking, I know) - the guy yearns for human companionship. What makes it more difficult for the guy is his appearance. Physically he his a specimen to behold except for his cybernetic skull and silver eyes (this stuff is explained in more detail in the story but for simplicity's sake I am dumbing it down).

Initially I had the guy only forming online relationships especially with the opposite sex. This is all well and good, but if I want this guy to be less passive, I need him out in the world once in a while. Sure its the near future, etc. etc. but society is not ready for half human/half cyborg...plus the folks who augmented him may end up finding him.

How can I get this guy out and about? Wig and sunglasses? (just kidding)

I need him able to form friendships and relationships but he always has to move on due to his condition or something...sort of like the old Hulk Tv show with Bill Bixby.

Blog Entries
    Hmm...you might have to put some type of disguise on him--something that might tone down his obvious construction. Have you thought about sending him to a school for the blind, as an intern, so he could meet some people there? Or he could volunteer in a children's burn ward/unit in a hospital or something like that. Somewhere where his kindness and gentleness might be appreciated, where the populace would not reject or ridicule him. He would have to get past the employers and staff of course (visually), but you could think of something that might be appropriate for him to wear.

Chris

Why don't you have him get some money, go to a cybernetics expert and have him basically undergo some 'plastic surgery'. Fix his eyes, add a permanent hair do and whatever else you want him to look like.

These things exist today. I can't imagine why they wouldn't exist for near-human cyborgs. (Unless he's the only one, but than that might be a bit overdone?)

Does the character want to go outside? If he does, he'll find a way to make it work and take the risk. Give him authentic motivations and the reader will be willing to believe just about anything. If it is dangerous for him to go outside, his desire to go outside must be pretty high for him to take the risk. People are notorious for doing things they shouldn't because they have somehow convinced themselves it's worth it. If you can get the reader on board with his motivations, it doesn't really matter if he uses a wig and sunglasses.

I was just reading the other day that certain companies can create eerily realistic vinyl reproductions of faces/heads. That might be an option.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cononomous View Post
    Why don't you have him get some money, go to a cybernetics expert and have him basically undergo some 'plastic surgery'. Fix his eyes, add a permanent hair do and whatever else you want him to look like.

These things exist today. I can't imagine why they wouldn't exist for near-human cyborgs. (Unless he's the only one, but than that might be a bit overdone?)
    Ooooh, I like this idea, and as Kittrell said, it can be done now. It would be even better if the folks he went to are, like, mafia dudes or something, and that they now know his secret. Something to haunt him later maybe?

I also like the burn unit/children hospital idea but with the one above as well.

I don't have any ideas myself...except maybe...a truck driver? There are some pretty interesting truck drivers out there and they are pretty open to a lot of weird stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Glelas View Post
    How can I get this guy out and about? Wig and sunglasses? (just kidding)
    Another thought might be to write a bit of hypnotic skill into him. If he can "put on the glamour," he can have people see him as whatever he chooses. The approach gives you a ticking clock: It can require great effort to maintain the illusion, therefore he is at constant risk of discovery. Also, there could be antagonists who can see straight through his cyber-guise.

Have fun -- WB

He could go to lots of fancy dress party's

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Hat and sunglasses?

Lady Gaga already solved your problem for you. Put on a giant wig and weird-o-contacts (enormous sunglasses are also not out of the question). Then your cyborg can walk right into any modern or postmodern dystropolis. Just don't go anywhere with a dress code.