Hybrid View

What animals would be the best candidates for being uplifted

Uplifted animal races are popular figures in science fiction and fantasy and more often than not, people don't often think about it. So besides primates, what animals would be the most likely to achieve sapience?If you consider all possible factors, what manner of species would achieve human like thought processes?

The standard go to beyond monkeys/apes is dolphins. Probably followed by dogs. I think more interesting options might be octopus or crow. Both intelligent already, both very crafty, and both would bring very different aptitudes to the table.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I would like to read about elephants and bears. I think the subject has already been touched, by Larry Niven in Footfall, and another book that I haven't tracked yet, something about The Right To Arm Bears.

Been reading David Brin lately?

Stephen Baxter did some great work with genetically raised intelligent cuttlefish in his Manifold series. I can't think of any other series I've liked that raised non-human animals, though a lot of aliens use earth animals as their prototypes and models of evolution.

My vote would definitely be for dogs. Of course, they're not as close as dolphins, great apes, or crows. However, they already speak our body language and are closely tied to us.

I'm not sure about dogs. At least not mine.

Whales probably.

Dogs would be perfect candidates for up lifting. Look how they are used in our society today. Could you imagine a doctor that could sense problems like the aid dogs that sense when someone is going to have a seizure? How about a cap who could could smell narcotics or a run away criminal. Soldiers who could smell an explosive device or a hidden sniper.

House cats on the otherhand would be the worse. I could easily see them get up lifted then run away while giving us the finger. Once a cat can open it's own cans of cat food we would be considered redundant in their eyes.

Blog Entries

Parrots deserve to be uplifted

I think parrots should be uplifted, and I think the criterion for when they have been is when we begin to repeat what they are saying. Have they not earned it? And just to prove my point, I agree with Piousflea that the parrot should be able to open the kitchen cupboards with telekinesis.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    I think it's best not to uplift at all if it's for selfish reasons. How would anyone feel if they wake up one day to find this huge expanded world about them and then be told that for the next 20 years you can't do anything about it? Because you need to pay for your expanded mind. It's fine if the decision was made to 'upgrade' consciously but otherwise.....

It's like the moral blackmail of a parent saying to their child 'I gave birth to you... you owe me'. Well... no... I don't. You made THAT decision all on your own for your own reasons.

Uplift an animal and then ASK it to be a partner in the world. I love the idea of some Raymond Chandler-esk mystery with a human/dog detective team.

I think we owe it to dogs to uplift them. Not to create a humanoid hybrid but to at least improve their lives. We need to strengthen their hips, give them longer lives, expand their IQ's, and may be give them basic speech. If anything on this world that deserves a reward for their countless years of companionship its the dog