Blog Entries

Windows Phone App

I recently developed and published a Windows Phone application featuring several Flash Fiction stories written by SFF World Members that were posted on the monthly Flash Fiction competitions.

The app is free and only available on Windows Marketplace. Please show your support for this app and the SFF World Members that had their stories published by sharing it on your social sites. Follow the link to the Windows Marketplace to see the app Flash Fiction.

If you download the app let me know what you think of it. I plan on doing a follow up to it with different stories, again only from SFF World members. This is not done with the backing of SFF World. I decided to make this only avaiable to SFF World members because... well just because.

The app is a place where authors can share their stories and promote any other work they have on the 'About the Author section' on the app. This would be a great way for authors to share their stories and anything else that they want to promote (blog, book, website).

Also, eventually, I want to develop an app for iPhones and iPads. I enjoy doing this because it gives me the chance to combine the two things that I enjoy doing, writing and programming. I look forward to creating another app.

Please let me know in this discussion if you would be interested in contributing in a follow up app or anything else you can think of that would make this app a success.

Thanks to JunkMonkey, Aether Monkey, and M. R. Mathias for submitting their stories to the app.
    Last edited by aiasminor; March 27th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hello aiasminor,

I think it is great that you are trying something new in regards to distribution of fictional works. Keep us informed at how well it does. Can you track how many times it is downloaded? Does it get rated? Does the app get rated separately from the fictional works? Do the fictional works get updated on the app or does a reader need to download a new app for updates on the stories?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Does it get rated? Does the app get rated separately from the fictional works?
    The app can get rated like any other app on the marketplace. The app is rated by the people that use it and it is up to them how they want to rate the app. By its content or by its design. I think it will end up being a combination of both.

Do the fictional works get updated on the app or does a reader need to download a new app for updates on the stories?
    There are a couple of different ways that I can update the app. I can either build a new app and name it Flash Fiction 2. Or I can update the app with new stories and erase the old stories, which would lead to some problems with the way people rate the app if they are rating the app on the content rather than the design. Or I can update the app with new stories and keep the old stories, which will run into size limitations sooner or later. There are other ways I'm sure by I am no Jedi master when it comes to programming. Maybe even pull the stories from a website (this would require much more time and effort).

Can you track how many times it is downloaded?
    Yes I can track how many times it gets downloaded. It has currently been downloaded a whopping 27 times. I have not gotten any feedback yet from anyone that actually downloaded the app so if you have downloaded it I'd love to hear from you.

Nice app and great idea! I have a Windows Phone so I'll grab this and have a look