The Scar by M. & S. Dyachenko

The Scar is one of the most prominent work of russian fantasy. It was written in 1996, "golden age" of russian SF&F, and things went downhill from that time. Can't recommend it enough. The Scar is part of the series, but it stand on it's own and definitely the best book of the series, quite probable best book of Dyachenko. While it's not quite a dark fantasy it is bleak, disturbing and could be depressing. It's also very intense. Some people think the beginning is a little slow, but I myself didn't feel it.

I saw this on Amazon and I thought it looked good but I passed because I thought it was not the first book of the series and at the time it was the only book they had available. Is that correct?

Yep, it's the second book, but the first book plot is completely unrelated (it's the previous story of the Wanderer) and the first book is not so great. To read first book make sense only in the context of the all series, and again, all the series, while sometimes good is not so great either. Not on par with The Scar or other best books of Dyachenko (which are all standalone BTW)

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try.