Hybrid View

Book Recommendations (specific, its different I promise)

Hi guys,

I've lurked on this forum alot and have probably read 90% of the recommendation threads. I am looking for something new to read and haven't found what I am looking for yet.

However irrationally, I love the Wheel of Time books. I like the massive scope, that the same story line continues over 13 books, and I like the standard fantasy where poor random farmer becomes a king etc.

Any suggestions for something similar would be great

My other books I like alot:

ASOIF
    Codex Alera
    Elantris
    Enders Game
    Fallen Dragon
    Kingkiller
    Mistborn
    Night Angel
    Stormlight Archive
    The Gentleman Bastard
    Warbreaker
    Demon Cycle

I don't like Malazan/Black company, I dunno why but I don't.

I tend to not like books with dwarves, elves, etc. But would be interested in whatever you guys think I would like.

Thanks

I personally can't stand the guy, but going from your preferences you should probably try David Eddings -- specifically the Belgariad and Mallorean series. They are big sweeping series with lots of epic-tude.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I personally can't stand the guy, but going from your preferences you should probably try David Eddings -- specifically the Belgariad and Mallorean series. They are big sweeping series with lots of epic-tude.
    I've read both and really disliked both of them. Just really shallow, and the characters made really dumb decisions.
    Thanks for the suggestion though

Have you read Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga? His first installment in this sprawling series I feel is the best, although I enjoyed later installments as well. (Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethannon).

I've read none of these but they seem to fit you're bill from their description.

The Unremembered: Book One of The Vault of Heaven by Peter Orullian

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unremember...3035099&sr=8-2

Once We Were Kings: Book I of the Sojourner Saga by Joshua Graham writing as Ian Alexander

http://www.amazon.com/Once-We-Were-K...3035308&sr=1-1

Mageborn: The Blacksmith's Son by Michael G. Manning

http://www.amazon.com/Mageborn-Black...3035457&sr=1-2

The Sword of Shadows series made the Favorite Fantasy Series of 11 vote (it was a huge thread, tons of votes). I actually really loved that thread, you might want to dig it out if you can. I'd stay away from the Acts of Cain which is on that list -- only the first volume is good imho and we seem to have highly similar tastes.

I'm actually reading the first volume of Sword of Shadows now, seems pretty good.
    Last edited by ArtNJ; March 29th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Hmm, I actually like this request because it's a puzzle. You like really large, bestselling secondary world largely pre-industrial epic war series (and some SF ones,) especially those with Chosen Ones and Brandon Sanderson. Except for some of them. You've read "90% of the recommendation threads" which contain oodles and oodles of recommendations for bestselling and big selling secondary world largely pre-industrial epic war series, and you still "haven't found what I am looking for yet," without you really specifying what that key ingredient might be. So really, it could be anything that might interest you, except that it's definitely something.

So, what to pick. Some possibilities, keeping Wheel of Time and your other mentions in mind:

Tad Williams, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
    Robin Hobb, Farseer series
    Michael J. Sullivan, The Riyria Chronicles
    John Barclay, The Raven series, Ascendents of Estorea duology
    Patricia Bray, Sword of Change series
    Daniel Abraham, Long Price Quartet, The Dagger and the Coin series
    Ken Scholes, The Psalms of Isaak series
    Sean Russell, Moontide Magic Rise series
    Mickey Zucker Reichert, Renshai series
    David Gemmell, Rigante series
    Teresa Edgerton, Celydonn series
    Lois McMaster Bujold, The Sharing Knife series
    David Anthony Durham, Acacia series
    Carol Berg, The Bridge of D'Arnath series
    Alan Dean Foster, Journeys of the Catechist series
    Chris Wooding, Tales of the Jetty Kay series
    Kate Elliot, Crown of Stars series
    Katherine Kurtz, Deryni series
    Felix Gilman, Thunderer series
    Alison Croggon, Pellinor series
    Jon Sprunk, Shadow's Son series
    Lynn Flewelling, Tamir series
    Kate Forsyth, Witches of Eileanan series
    Kevin Radthorne, Tales of Tonogoto series
    Gary Wassner, GemQuest series
    Glenda Larke, Stormlord series
    Matthew Stover, Heroes Die series
    Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns series
    Liane Merciel, Ithelas series
    Elizabeth Moon, The Deed of Paksenarrion series
    J. Gregory Keyes, Chosen of the Changeling duology
    David Weber, Safehold series

And several thousand other ones. But of course, it's finding the right ones. You might want to check what books Robert Jordan particularly liked when he was with us and what Brandon Sanderson recommends, since you like both of those the most.
    Last edited by KatG; March 29th, 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jop View Post
    Have you read Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga? His first installment in this sprawling series I feel is the best, although I enjoyed later installments as well. (Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethannon).
    I've read it and really enjoyed it, for some reason It's not on my E-Reader which is why it wasn't in the list of books I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle Clark View Post
    I've read none of these but they seem to fit you're bill from their description.

<snip>
    All 3 look awesome, thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    The Sword of Shadows series made the Favorite Fantasy Series of 11 vote (it was a huge thread, tons of votes). I actually really loved that thread, you might want to dig it out if you can. I'd stay away from the Acts of Cain which is on that list -- only the first volume is good imho and we seem to have highly similar tastes.

I'm actually reading the first volume of Sword of Shadows now, seems pretty good.
    I've read all the books in Sword of Shadows that are out and judging from your list, of which I've read almost all the books, you'll love Sword of Shadows, Bossman.

Looks good too thanks

Can't believe I forget a series I actually have read and love and has all the elements that made me and possibly you enjoy The Wheel of Time:

The Red Wolf Conspiracy (Chathrand Voyages: Book 1 ) by Robert V.S. Reddick

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wolf-Consp...tt_at_ep_dpt_3
    This is actually on my E-Reader and I was planning on starting it right away, good to have another +1 for it, ty

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
    I immediately thought of two "series". Based on your description (bold text), they vaguely resemble what you are looking for (maybe).

<snip>.
    Also added to the list now, look good ty

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Hmm, I actually like this request because it's a puzzle. You like really large, bestselling secondary world largely pre-industrial epic war series (and some SF ones,) especially those with Chosen Ones and Brandon Sanderson. Except for some of them. You've read "90% of the recommendation threads" which contain oodles and oodles of recommendations for bestselling and big selling secondary world largely pre-industrial epic war series, and you still "haven't found what I am looking for yet," without you really specifying what that key ingredient might be. So really, it could be anything that might interest you, except that it's definitely something.

So, what to pick. Some possibilities, keeping Wheel of Time and your other mentions in mind:

<snip>.
    Ive read about 75% of that list and liked most of them alot. Will look at the rest, thanks

Anyone remember where that online animated book-recommender is, where you can walk through a web of authors, clicking from one to the next, and they are organized in space based on their similarity to each other? That was a neat tool.

Way Too Human
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Hi guys,

I've lurked on this forum alot and have probably read 90% of the recommendation threads. I am looking for something new to read and haven't found what I am looking for yet.

However irrationally, I love the Wheel of Time books. I like the massive scope, that the same story line continues over 13 books, and I like the standard fantasy where poor random farmer becomes a king etc.

<snip>
    I immediately thought of two "series". Based on your description (bold text), they vaguely resemble what you are looking for (maybe).

The Sunset Warrior Cycle by Eric Lustbader (Eric Van Lustbader). There are five books listed on Amazon. I didn't realize there was a fifth since it was released several years after I read the first four.

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. There are four books.

I read both of those series (quite) awhile ago and hated that they ended. I wanted more.

Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Hi guys,

Any suggestions for something similar would be great

My other books I like alot:

ASOIF
    Codex Alera
    Elantris
    Enders Game
    Fallen Dragon
    Kingkiller
    Mistborn
    Night Angel
    Stormlight Archive
    The Gentleman Bastard
    Warbreaker
    Demon Cycle

I don't like Malazan/Black company, I dunno why but I don't.

I tend to not like books with dwarves, elves, etc. But would be interested in whatever you guys think I would like.

Thanks
    You seem to have a similar taste as me, so have a look at my favorite series list here:
    http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=73

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Smith View Post
    You seem to have a similar taste as me, so have a look at my favorite series list here:
    http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=73
    Thanks looks good

homicidalbookworm
    Dave Duncan might be a good author to try.

The only series of his that has elves and dwarves in are Man of His Word and Handful of Men, but they're nothing like Tolkien's elves and dwarves. The elves are like vicious backstabbing lawyers who love a good war and the dwarves...cant remember them theres only one prominent dwarf in both series and hes a real evil sob.

The best of his series has got to be the Seventh Sword. The newest book is due this year. Though you dont have to wait for it to enjoy the original three.

1. The Reluctant Swordsman
    2. The Coming of Wisdom
    3. The Destiny of the Sword
    4. The Death of Nnanji

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/dave-duncan/