Question Balaam & Deumas (spoiler)

@Jon
    i was wondering if you could tell Us more about what happened between them(past and present) because in chapter 5, it seemed that Duemas was going to become much more involved in the story and at chapters 17 and 22 was barely mentioned, but had clearly had an effect on Balaam at the end.

and was this one of the 2 major changes/things you mentioned on FB?

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it was one of those changes, but I finished writing the book about a year ago, so any memories of my mindset back then are going to be a bit hazy.

Actually, the side plot with Deumas (her defection, and Balaam being sent after her) were additions to the plot. Originally, she only makes that initial appearance and then retreats back into the pack of nameless Talons. But I wanted something--an event--to trigger Balaam's journey of redemption. Having Deumas flee, and him being sent after her, made sense to me. And then Balaam lets her go, giving her a chance for a life outside the Shadow, which is something he never thinks he'll be able to have (at that point).

As far as their mutual past, I honestly don't have much to say because it wasn't germane to the plot, so I didn't muse about it very much. They've served together for a while and they respect each other. Deumas is obviously a bit more outspoken than Balaam, but she's a "grunt" so she has that liberty (**** runs downhill, complaints run up).

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the story of the Talons would make an interesting side story. I liked Balaam and would have tolerated more of his story, especially the whole question of whether he and his wife work it out or not.

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    There's dozens of potential spin-offs. But isn't that what fan faction is for...?

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    There's dozens of potential spin-offs. But isn't that what fan faction is for...?
    I just might do that...