Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 186
  1. #16
    Reader Moderator NickeeCoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,683
    Still chugging along with Deadhouse Gates, the second Malazan book. I'm finding that I'm not as interested in this one as I was in the first. Granted, I'm only on chapter eleven (but I feel like I've read far more), so hopefully things start to pick up a bit more.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    I think the Sanderson bubble is going to burst soon. I think people are going to see that there's really not a lot there.
    For me, probably. Especially now that I've read a lot of Gemmell, Erikson and Abercrombie (I hadn't before I read Mistborn)....But I seem to be in the minority about this one, so I think it will remain that way.

  3. #18
    MJ Dusseault Spears&Buckler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island, USA
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    8
    Finished Caine Black Knife by Matthew Woodring Stover (brilliant, by the way) and I am now on to Carrie by Stephen King. Typical King awesomeness so far.
    Last edited by Spears&Buckler; April 3rd, 2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Didn't finish Caine's Law, it was Black Knife. Although when I do finish Law, I am sure that will be brilliant too!

  4. #19
    Still reading The Wise Man's Fear. I'm about 2/3 finished. Kvothe is currently with Felurian. I'm loving this book although I've seen some pretty harsh reviews on it.

    I'll be reading either White Night by Jim Butcher or Broken Angels by Richard Morgan next.

  5. #20
    Couch Commander Danogzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    695
    I finished Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch last night. It was a good, fun book, if a little rushed in it's climax chapter (lots of loose ends were tied up pretty quickly and maybe without the impact they could have had if it was given more room). Leaving the very end as it was for five years must be painful for a lot of readers.
    Spoiler:
    the poison

    But the next one is coming later this year and we'll get some solid resolution (maybe?). Either way, I'm excited for it.

  6. #21
    Registered User The Moye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    Still chugging along with Deadhouse Gates, the second Malazan book. I'm finding that I'm not as interested in this one as I was in the first. Granted, I'm only on chapter eleven (but I feel like I've read far more), so hopefully things start to pick up a bit more.
    I struggled thru that book. I am now on memories of ice and it is like 1000xs better than deadhouse gates imo.

  7. #22
    Registered User beniowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    542
    I'm about three-fourths through KJ Parker's The Company.

  8. #23
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    413
    I've been reading on and off Michele Sagara West's Into The Dark Lands. I like the ideas so far but the writing is choppy and I can't really connect with any of the characters. I know it's her first book and it shows, so I guess I'll have to ask if the book (and the series) is getting any livelier?

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    I think the Sanderson bubble is going to burst soon. I think people are going to see that there's really not a lot there.
    I wouldn't bet your house on that. With his Mistborn and WoT work he has legions of fans. I for one thought Way of Kings was the best or second best fantasy book I read last year. Can't wait for the next one.

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    I'm about three-fourths through KJ Parker's The Company.
    What do you think of it so far?

  11. #26
    Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Omnibus District
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    I've been reading on and off Michele Sagara West's Into The Dark Lands. I like the ideas so far but the writing is choppy and I can't really connect with any of the characters. I know it's her first book and it shows, so I guess I'll have to ask if the book (and the series) is getting any livelier?
    I can't really attest to this series, but I expected it to show a lack of experience. However, I have read her Sacred Hunt duology and it was good. I fully expect that her works beyond that continue to improve and I intend to continue on with her series from the same world as Sacred Hunt, if not her entire bibliography.

  12. #27
    Just finished up Last Argument of Kings, just started Midnight Tides

  13. #28
    and I like to party. Seak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,413
    Reading M.L.N. Hanover's Unclean Spirits. I'm a huge fan of Hanover/Abraham but I was wary of his UF stuff. I'm impressed so far, about halfway through and it's hard to put down.

    Also just finished Jon Sprunk's conclusion to the Shadow Saga, Shadow's Master. Stays on par with the rest of the trilogy. Really good sword and sorcery, fast-paced, low on details and lots of action.

  14. #29
    Boba Fett Lives Daddy Darth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Annapolis Valley Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,627
    All but done Under Heaven by Kay. I did enjoy the richness of the setting and characters, however the actual story was underwhelming. For me it is missing an actual climax. Given what was transpiring I wanted it to go bigger, into the conflict of the rebellion. Instead it went smaller, more personal, culminating in events at the inn. Which was a brilliant scene, just thought it needed more. Well, I needed more. My secret desire is for Kay to truly tackle a large epic tale spanning half a dozen books. He is one of the best writers around and often not given his due.

  15. #30
    Registered User Loerwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    All but done Under Heaven by Kay. I did enjoy the richness of the setting and characters, however the actual story was underwhelming. For me it is missing an actual climax. Given what was transpiring I wanted it to go bigger, into the conflict of the rebellion. Instead it went smaller, more personal, culminating in events at the inn. Which was a brilliant scene, just thought it needed more. Well, I needed more. My secret desire is for Kay to truly tackle a large epic tale spanning half a dozen books. He is one of the best writers around and often not given his due.
    So that's why you've been quiet

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •