Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Finished Parker's The Company, which was good.

Now reading Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    Finished Parker's The Company, which was good.

Now reading Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear.
    Hey Ben, Let me know how it goes with "Range". I'm planning on getting that.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If it helps, Kazz, Rob reviewed it HERE.

Mark
    Mark

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    If it helps, Kazz, Rob reviewed it HERE.

Mark
    Oh yeah, thanks Mark, I seen that already. Lotsa good reviews from what I've seen, thats why after I finish Retribution Falls I'm gonna hopefully buy that next.

Blog Entries
    No problem: I'm never quite sure if people see our reviews or not.

And agreed with the positive reviews: Rob's been so positive about it that had I not already been stacked up with stuff to read (not complaining!) I'd have bought a copy.... so, yes, also interested what Ben thinks!

Mark
    Mark

Rogue Warrior
    No problem: I'm never quite sure if people see our reviews or not.

And agreed with the positive reviews: Rob's been so positive about it that had I not already been stacked up with stuff to read (not complaining!) I'd have bought a copy.... so, yes, also interested what Ben thinks!

Mark
    Right on, Mark. Over on Amazon, there's a couple reviews I get a kick out of. If I was an author and seen a couple of those, it would be really cool. I was disappointed the other day though, I went out to B&N to check out a copy, and that store hadn't even ordered any copies of it. By then it had been released for 4-5 days I think. Whats up with that? Justin had a cool review of it too, you se that?

Blog Entries
    Yup.

Got to say, Justin's reviews are usually pretty good too.

Weirdly though, these days I don't look at reviews as much as I used to: I'm rather worried that if it's a review of a book I'm reviewing it might just affect what I write.

After I've written the review, that's fine, though! (And if I wasn't going to review it, like this one, because Rob's already reviewing it, that's fine too.)

Mark
    Mark

Rogue Warrior
    Yup.

Got to say, Justin's reviews are usually pretty good too.

Weirdly though, these days I don't look at reviews as much as I used to: I'm rather worried that if it's a review of a book I'm reviewing it might just affect what I write.

After I've written the review, that's fine, though! (And if I wasn't going to review it, like this one, because Rob's already reviewing it, that's fine too.)

Mark
    I could understand that. I like checking out books I want to read, I stop if I see too many spoiler things, but most people probably don't do all that as bad as I do. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    I went out to B&N to check out a copy, and that store hadn't even ordered any copies of it. By then it had been released for 4-5 days I think. Whats up with that?
    I've heard authors saying that after the demise of Borders, B&N has definitely cut back in their buying of new books and isn't in a rush to get many new releases right away. Their conventional wisdom expected the opposite, but for whatever reason B&N has definitely reduced their orders on new titles and series with a proven track record (maybe B&N wants to promote Nooks this way, or figures that they'll get the Brick & Mortar customers anyway, or just wants to focus more on non-book merchandise?). Definitely a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    I've heard authors saying that after the demise of Borders, B&N has definitely cut back in their buying of new books and isn't in a rush to get many new releases right away. Their conventional wisdom expected the opposite, but for whatever reason B&N has definitely reduced their orders on new titles and series with a proven track record (maybe B&N wants to promote Nooks this way, or figures that they'll get the Brick & Mortar customers anyway, or just wants to focus more on non-book merchandise?). Definitely a shame.
    That's depressing.

Rogue Warrior
    Thats is sad. I sure do miss Borders y'all.

Unreasonable reasoner
    Finally got around to finishing "Blade of Tyshalle." Overall one of the best genre books I've read. Stover did things you just can't do with fantasy or sci-fi alone.

I did find the "blind god" to be unnecessary and kind of silly, but that's one stain on an otherwise perfect novel.

Now it's on to rereading "A Clash of Kings."

Read interesting books
    A few days ago I finished Caine's Law.

This is another book that just came too late for me; I remember loving the first Caine duology and also the first half of the duology ending here, but when I opened this one I realized that I kind of forgot most of what was about except in a vague sense. I did a quick refresh and i realized that I simply cannot suspend disbelief any more for the ultimate simplistic super hero taking revenge on an unjust society storyline which this series amounts too in the end; yes, the hero is complicated, with dark impulses but when all is said and done there is very little depth and nuance; anger, violence in droves but I couldn't find the magic of a few years ago and I simply did not care about the hero, the secondary characters or the the setting

Finished Unclean Spirits by MLN Hanover/Daniel Abraham. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest. It's a really quick read, so definitely worth giving a go.

Started The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts. I'm a fan of lots of description, so I hope that holds up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    Will do! I'm about a third into it and it's good so far.