Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    Will do! I'm about a third into it and it's good so far.
    Right on, thanks man

Staff

I'm Reading ...

... The Crippled God, a very different style of writing than Erikson's previous books in the series, what's with all the constant italic monologues?!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Started The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts. I'm a fan of lots of description, so I hope that holds up here.
    Well, if you want L-E-N-G-T-H-Y description and a glacial pace, Seak, that one might be just what you need. Really liked her collaborations with Raymond Feist, but really struggled with this series, even though I wanted to like it. Be interested to read what you think.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Well, if you want L-E-N-G-T-H-Y description and a glacial pace, Seak, that one might be just what you need. Really liked her collaborations with Raymond Feist, but really struggled with this series, even though I wanted to like it. Be interested to read what you think.

Mark
    Seconded. And I'd add that I found the characterization to be lacking/less developed than I would have liked. I enjoyed the world-building and the basic plot, but as much as I usually subscribe to the mantra "longer is better", in this case I think that the book would have been well-served by some cutting and a good deal of polishing.

Registered User theonefirestorm's Avatar
    Reading The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod 8th Grade Bites. I've read 2 chapters, and found it hard to put down.
    Vladimir Tod is a teen vampire. It has humor in it, and I think I'll find multiple lines that I'll remember.

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I gave up on The Way of Kings at page 500-ish. I don't see why I should read 1200 pages of a book that's more uneventful than most 100 page books. I was really disappointed with Sanderson's characters too, they could have pulled me through but every single one just ended up dull. I don't understand the praise at all. So disappointing, I loved Mistborn.
    Sorry to hear that...I have heard good things as well. The book is rather long, and as it is the start of a long series (at least 10 book I thought I heard), which is just too much commitment for a slow reader like me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I am busy being intensely annoyed. I was nearing the end of Control Point when I came upon a gap in the recording. I called Audible yesterday, and they supposedly assigned a tech to repair the recording, but I don't want to finish the book til they get those missing minutes restored. And that won't be til at least Monday, sigh. So now I'm back to listening to the new Pacey recording of Best Served Cold -- which is good, and much better than the original Page recording, but I've heard the book before so it's still not all that exciting. I'm also reading some inconsequential non-genre ebooks. But in the meantime I'm still annoyed, 'cause I feel the end of Control Point calling to me.....rackafratz the rackafratzin......
    Hmmm..where/how did you report the problem? My Theft of Swords has a "very minor" error in it (two words are spoken, then the same words spoken again. I just figured it was something I would have to live with - so if I can talk to someone about getting it fixed I would prefer to (though obviously less of a problem then what you are experiencing with Control Point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    I'm having problems as well. My kindle is broken.

I'm talking to customer service right now. Seems they are going to send me a free replacement.
    Amazon technical support on kindles is exceptional. My wife on her third and they always send them out promptly, and provide return postage. Can't beat that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Khale View Post
    I completely agree with you on Sanderson and Way of Kings.

Currently, I am about halfway through Rise of Empire by Michael Sullivan and am really enjoying it.

I also just started on Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed which I think is going to be a great and fun read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    After finishing another Jack Vance quickie (it's very satisfying to read a novel in one or two sittings), I started Theft of Swords Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria omnibus volume one.
    Thanks, I'm always amazed to see my books mentioned. One day my dream "may" come true of seeing someone I don't know reading one, though that is a pipe dream for sure.

I'm reading The Black Company by Glen Cook - I've received so many recommendations for this one, but so far...not really clicking with me. Still I'm not giving up - I hear it picks up. Here's to hoping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    I've heard authors saying that after the demise of Borders, B&N has definitely cut back in their buying of new books and isn't in a rush to get many new releases right away. Their conventional wisdom expected the opposite, but for whatever reason B&N has definitely reduced their orders on new titles and series with a proven track record (maybe B&N wants to promote Nooks this way, or figures that they'll get the Brick & Mortar customers anyway, or just wants to focus more on non-book merchandise?). Definitely a shame.
    I've not heard about not buying new releases - but I can tell you the number of books they stock of each title (especially for non mass market paperback) is abysmal. Many titles have just one copy - then it's out of stock for a week or more when the next "one copy" is ordered. In one case, the "one copy" was somewhere in the store (but not found) so I asked if they would order more and they said they couldn't because they have one in stock (even though it can't be found) so they "special ordered" one just for me but anyone else coming into the store for a copy would be SoL.

A crazy way to run a business. If you have no stock on the shelves, no wonder your sales are in decline.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

Mark
    Wurtz has a writing style that makes reading difficult. It's intentional, so she is acomplishing what she is trying to do. I find that sometimes I have to read a sentence several times before I understand what she is saying. Too much work for me - I'm already too slow when I'm engaged and tearing through pages. Still, a lot of people like that style so I'm glad she keeps providing her fans with what they are looking for.

Right now I am reading Song of the Beast by Carol Berg. I'm only about 100 pages in but I can tell I am going to enjoy the book.

Michael Sullivan,
    I loved your Riyria series. What is up next for you and when will it be out?

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Hmmm..where/how did you report the problem? My Theft of Swords has a "very minor" error in it (two words are spoken, then the same words spoken again. I just figured it was something I would have to live with - so if I can talk to someone about getting it fixed I would prefer to (though obviously less of a problem then what you are experiencing with Control Point.
    That sort of thing happens occasionally (words repeated) in the recording process, and I don't think they can be fixed. But if you want to talk to them about it, just call Audible customer service. I don't have the number handy -- it's on the web site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Myst View Post
    Michael Sullivan,
    I loved your Riyria series. What is up next for you and when will it be out?
    Hey Heather...yes you one of the original fans...way back in the day. I've written 3 books post Riyria and I'm editing them now. Two are in a series (but I can't talk about it because my wife hasn't read it and until they are vetted who knows what will happen to them). The other she has vetted, here's it's 30-word description:

Antithesis: Two opposing individuals possess limitless magic, providing the universe balance. An unexpected death transfers this power to an unsuspecting bystander who is clueless of the consequences of his newfound abilities.

And the proposed back of the book marketing stuff:

Have you ever wondered how the world will end?

No? Well don’t sweat it. Most people don’t, and the few that do expect the cause will be a dramatic change in climate, a pandemic, or mostly likely war. That’s what we’ve all been taught to believe, and we’re comfortable with rational explanations. But people weren’t always so quick to accept the facts provided by the so-called experts. There used to be a time when we believed in myth and magic. Our minds were open to the idea of believing in what can’t be seen…the fantastical.

I had been like you until I met Winston Stewart; the day I learned to believe that there are other forces at work—not the least of which is fate. Fate is an amazing thing. It put Gandhi in South Africa, Nelson at Gibraltar, and Winston Stewart on that train in Alexandria Virginia.

You say you don’t know who Winston Stewart is? Don't worry...You will.
    As to when they will come out? No idea yet. They are not under contract so I guess that depends on whether Orbit likes what they see or not. I'm hoping to have one of the books edited and off to them by Mid April. Thanks for asking!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    That sort of thing happens occasionally (words repeated) in the recording process, and I don't think they can be fixed. But if you want to talk to them about it, just call Audible customer service. I don't have the number handy -- it's on the web site.
    Ah okay...thanks. I thought you maybe had an email or something for this kind of thing - I'll go to the site.