Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    I meant to read D'Arnath now in order to go through her stuff chronologically, but all the love I've been seeing for the Lighthouse Duet made me jump that one ahead. So for me, no...not yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Still plodding through Sir Pratchett's A Hat Full of Sky. I have to keep pausing as it's continuously making me laugh.
    I love this series! It's even better than the related Discworld books!

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    I love this series! It's even better than the related Discworld books!
    It is. Discworld tends to not be really inconsistent for me (well... I've only read the City Watch stuff bar Snuff, Amazing Maurice and The Wee Free Men), but these Tiffany Aching books seem pretty good from what I've read, and I think part of that's due to Sir Pratchett distancing itself from the majority of the Discworld stuff.

Once I've done A Hat Full of Sky, I'll take a little break and then go into the first Witches book (Equal Rites?)

Now reading A Darkness Forged in Fire, book 1 of the Iron Elves, by Chris Evans

Quote Originally Posted by DragonReader View Post
    I hope you enjoy that one more than I did, I couldn't get past the first 30ish pages.

I'm reading Death Masks, continuing with the Dresden Files series. Its been pretty good so far.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chokipokilo View Post
    Have any of you Berg fans read her "Bridge of D'Arnath" series? I see Rai Kirah, Lighthouse and Collegia Magica getting a lot of attention but not this one.
    No. I have one book from her Collegia Magica series, but can't even remember which one. D'Arnath will probably be my next Berg series, if I don't pick up her stand alone first.

Just finished Destiny of the Sword by Dave Duncan. It was a very good end to the series. Even up against the epilogue, I was somewhat concerned and uncertain about how things would unfold between the MC and his 'side-kick' - which ends up being the very heart of the story. As a series, it was a portal fantasy to a world that blended several elements of ancient Japanese, Hindu and Chinese cultures. It centered around a society and culture that was exiting its own 'Age of Legends' and heading toward its first empire. It that sense, it was reminiscient of pre- and early Imperial China. While not superb, it was distinctly better than average.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; April 15th, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    In the beginning of The Bonehunters [The Malazan book of the Fallen #6] by Steven Erikson.
    Just finished The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson.

While some scenes were brilliant, overall, I did not enjoy this installment of the series as much as previous volumes.

Comparing to both House of Chains and Midnight Tides, I felt The Bonehunters also started out slow followed by a fast paced climax converging multiple story lines. Unfortunately, unlike with HoC and MT, I did not feel 'rewarded' upon finishing.

I was bothered by the constant multiple point of view jumping throughout the entire book, especially during the Y’Ghatan scenes. Ironically, I did not mind this POV jumping with Gardens of the Moon, but it definitely annoyed me here. I appreciated the increased cohesive plot storytelling in both HoC and MT, and feel The Bonehunters is a step backwards in need of additional editing.

I still love the world Erikson and Esslemont created and plan to eventually read Reaper’s Gale and possibly Return of the Crimson Guard. However, I am losing interest as the last two books I have read of the series have been my least favorites, Night of Knives (about a year ago) and The Bonehunters.

Memories of Ice remains my favorite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonReader View Post
    This was the first fantasy book I read. I almost gave up on it but, after 50-60 pages it hooked me. I figured I would use Konowa as my forum name since that was the book that got me started on fantasy. I liked it and have read the second book as well. I may start the 3rd soon, however, I just started reading Lynch.

By the way, my first post, been around for a little while just don't find much time to converse.

Recently finished "Devil's Tower" by Mark Sumner and absolutely loved it! I loved the blending of fantasy and western and that characters were very easy to love, and also to hate, LOL. I thought it was very original and I'm now reading it's sequel, "Devil's Engine" and am thoroughly enjoying it as well. It features a character in it I've long been intrigued by; Buffalo Bill Cody.

In the beginnings chapters of The Hangman's Daughter and enjoying it. It has tenuous fantasy/horror connections what with bloody murder and suspected witchcraft. I like it so far.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    In the beginnings chapters of The Hangman's Daughter and enjoying it. It has tenuous fantasy/horror connections what with bloody murder and suspected witchcraft. I like it so far.
    IIFC that was one of the Amazon Crossing books where they translated foreign books for the English market. Amazon did a nice job promoting it and they sold a ton of copies.

You are correct Michael. As I say in my linked blog post, the book is a beautiful thing.

I read a few more chapters of it during my lunch break and I continue to be intrigued by where the Oliver Pötzsch is taking the story.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is lovely looking, isn't it?

Just finished Kristin Cashore's Fire which I enjoyed more than Graceling and sets me up to tackle Kristin's new one, Bitterblue.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Just finished Kristin Cashore's Fire which I enjoyed more than Graceling and sets me up to tackle Kristin's new one, Bitterblue.
    I've had Graceling sat on my shelf for over a year, and I've not gotten around to it.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fire has been on my shelf longer than that, actually. (I worked it out at at least three years!) They're both flawed in my opinion, but Fire I enjoyed more.

Bitterblue's a huge novel: clearly there's been a while working on it!

Mark
    Mark