Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Please Help Me Find a New Series!

I'm trying to find a new series to read, and i'm looking for something specific...

Things i've read recently that come to mind:

The Kingkiller Chronicles*
    A song of Ice and Fire*
    The First Law*
    Ranger's Apprentice
    Eragon
    Pendragon
    And more...

What i'm looking for in a book:

VIOLENCE. Simply put I want gore, blood, mayhem, brutality. The First Law had a touch of what I want but nothing near what I need. More action the better. I don't want some moral bullshit, if the main character kills a person because they look at him wrong, i'm not going to have a hissyfit.
    Ideally it'd have a single main character, first person. This is not detrimental, I can manage multiple characters, and third-person. The important thing is the action. I don't need a plot, hell, I might prefer if there wasn't one. The more I think about it the more I'd like an endless adventure with no looming quest or major goal. Just a main character driven by desire for adventure/wealth living his life by his own code.
    What I liked about some of the *'d series above:
    Kingkiller Chronicles thuroughly explain the various forms of currency. It inventories every possesion Kvothe has. Money, clothes, weapons, skills, abilities, you name it. This may seem like a small thing to you but it's important to me.
    This may seem strange but I like LOOT. After the main character kills his foes I want him looting their corpses, telling me everything he obtained from them. I want the realistic greed that everyone has, I'd like the main character interested in his own wealth and seek more of it. Thievery, pirating, all that stuff is great.
    What I liked about A Song of Ice and Fire: George did an amazing job of creating a truly immersible world. I loved it. An extremely detailed world created by the author is very important to me. If ASOIAF didn't have the underlying magic, more violence, a single character, and a ton more loot i'd be in love.
    This isn't to say i'm against magic, you've probably noticed most of the books above have magic, I can live with it... IF IT'S EXPLAINED like in Kingkiller Chronicles.
    What ASOIAF did right was the medieval era was built beautifully I loved the various factions, wars, sieges, raids, etc. Swords, armor, horses, warfare, etc. I loved everything to do with the Iron Islands, the Dathrahki (sp?) (except it needed more violence), and most of Arya's story line (assassin/thief/etc.)
    The First Law was very good violence wise, but more is always better. I enjoyed that characters ended up being "bad guys" with their own motives in the end.

Most threads in here mention book series by abbreviation, unless you initially introduce it by it's full name, please don't, for my own readability.

I've recently requested The Black Company from the local library, but in the mean time i've read a review that says most of the action/fighting scenes are skipped and they just go to the dialogue which is very dissapointing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Looking for Dark Series!

I've searched for a new series to read and have decided to ask for assistance. I'm awaiting the Prince of Thorns, and the first book of The Black Company series as of now.

Books/series i've read that come to mind:

A Song of Ice and Fire
    Kingkiller Chronicles
    The First Law
    Eragon
    The Ranger's Apprentice

I'm going to attempt to show what an ideal series to me contains by listing some of what I enjoyed about the above books so much:

The First Law: Violence, plain and simple. I enjoy action, bloody fight scenes, gore, all that good stuff. The First Law is one of the few series i've read that comes close to what I want from a series. This considered I'd prefer a series that is darker, with even more violence and action scenes, this is very important to me.
    Kingkiller Chronicles: The main character is quick witted and I really enjoyed the dialogue. Another main aspect of this series that I really enjoyed is that near every possession of the main character is inventoried. This may seem like a minor point to most people but this is very important to me, I really enjoy a protagonist that is greedy and acquires wealth when given the opportunity and gives the reader the opportunity to experience it at the same time by cataloging loot (hate to use this word). Kingkiller chronicles also did a marvelous job at explaining most aspects of magic, if the series has magic I enjoy it when it's made understandable.
    A Song of Ice and Fire: The extremely immersible world that Martin creates. Most of the character's plot lines. I loved everything to do with the Iron Isles, Arya's plot line (Faceless group, thief/assassin. I really enjoyed the scene where she was in a tavern and helped kill some men then took the possessions from one of the bodies, and inventoried the financial gains), and characters like Tyrion Lannister, Ser Gregor Clegane, The Hound, etc. Fight scenes, raids, wars, all that and more.
    If it isn't apparent from this list I really enjoy medievalesque themed books, swords, armor, horses, battle formations, pirating/sea life etc. I'd prefer a single protagonist like in Ranger's Apprentice / Eragon, though this isn't necessary.

I can never get enough humor.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

I'd thoroughly recommend Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Acts of Caine by Stover.

End of thread.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You're going to enjoy Prince of Thorns and Black Company...right your alley. I actually don't think of King Killer as "Dark" but you should also like Scott Lynch and Brent Weeks, and of course there is more Joe Abercrombie - and I think you will like all of his.

Blog Entries
    I think you would like The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence (Starts with Prince of Thorns) he's a frequent visitor to this site - and there is a thread about his books here.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Brian Ruckley - Godless World should qualify for gore and brutality. Starts with Winterbirth.

edit: why start two threads with the same question?

Talk about timing. I just read 'Dusk' by Tim Lebbon, and it is the darkest thing I have read in a long while. I enjoyed it despite a complete lack of character growth from anyone. I will always second Dark Company, anything by KJ Parker, and lately have been throwing Glenda Larke's Watergivers series out for those who like something a little grim.

Well, there's plenty to choose from!

Firstly, I'll recommend Jon Sprunk's Shadow Saga, starting with Shadow's Son, which was a very well-received debut novel about an assassin and his spectral companion. The second and third novels break this formula somewhat, but are still excellent reads. They're dark without being over-the-top or exploitative, which is always refreshing. And there's a sly sense of humour in there for good measure, too.

Secondly, I'm going to go with an oddball recommendation. Ari Marmell's The Goblin Corps. It's a dark, violent, swear-filled adventure that follows the other side. These ain't the good guys. They're violent, bloodthirsty, thieving, brutal and unforgiving. And they're constantly bickering between themselves. It turns a lot of fantasy tropes on their head, in much the same way Sir Terry Pratchett does (though it is much more serious than Sir Pratchett typically is), and a few of us here enjoyed it despite the novella-length chapters and had-potential-to-be-boring bickering.

But there's plenty of other books to try. Teresa Frohock's Miserere, Richard Morgan's fantasy series (that starts with The Steel Remains), Mark Charan Newton's Legends of the Red Sun, Sam Sykes' The Aeon's Gate trilogy (which has a lot of humour), and I suppose even Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series.

This thread has some great suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Firstly, I'll recommend Jon Sprunk's Shadow Saga, starting with Shadow's Son, which was a very well-received debut novel about an assassin and his spectral companion. The second and third novels break this formula somewhat, but are still excellent reads. They're dark without being over-the-top or exploitative, which is always refreshing. And there's a sly sense of humour in there for good measure, too.
    I was debating mentioning Jon's books as well...the only thing that kept them off my list is that i didn't think they would be "dark enough" based on the OP's posts. But yes I recommend the books (probably because they are more on the gray than black side).

Hi Mmaatte

I merged the thread your two threads since they ask the same question.

For the Glen Cook stuff, you might prefer the Dread Empire series over Black Company. Mainly because there is far less morality in it. All the characters do whatever they think is right, and it completely avoids telling you the reader who actually was right in the end. Glen Cook is sparse on details though, so I suspect you won't care so much for it. His more recent stuff tends to be more longwinded and detailed, so his Instrumentalities of the Night series might be more up your alley.

Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Absolutely packed with action and in my opinion some of the best damn fantasy out there. It isn't first person, but it does follow the viewpoint of mostly one character. I have heard that theActs of Caine by Stover are very similar.

Also Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence as others have mentioned. I only began reading the first book but was a bit off put by his very concise writing style (probably only because this genre is usually so long winded) but it definitely seemed that there would be a lot of action, gore, and a character who didn't care much for morality or what people thought of him.

cant believe nobody recommended the Malazan series, or apologies if someone did