Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    And the amazing Maisie still amazes!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And this episode means that we're halfway through Season Two, doesn't it?

Despite the lack of 'sexposition' (ha ha, love that, algernon!) in Episode 5, how do people feel the Season is shaping up?

Mark
    Mark

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I feel they're going a little too fast through the book. I hope the rumours are true and book three will be split into 20 episodes.

Thoughts as-I-watch:

1. Brienne. What. What. No, seriously. What. There was absolutely no build up to that moment at all, and her personality changed completely.
    2. Bron(n) - Tyrion's right hand? He's awesome.
    3. Your grace. Your grace. Your grace. Your grace.
    4. Mention of Blackwater. Oooh.
    5. She's a foreigner? Well, duh.
    6. Hehe. Stannis is awesome. Davos just got hoisted.
    7. Yay for the preacher. Joffrey is rotten. Well, understatement of the year there.
    8. Ohhh kay. Chinfluff (Theon) gurning at the camera there. Well, that's me scared.
    9. Snort. Hahaha. He's so puffed up. I love to watch him get deflated. I AM YOUR CAPTAIN
    10. Yara!
    11. Everyone's bloody filthy in that place.
    12. Who's he? Dagmar? I didn't quite catch it. He seems reasonable.
    13. Wait I think I missed something there. What... um... Theon wants to piss the Starks off 'cos daddy says so?
    14. Arya just death-stared Tywin.
    14.5. Thus, Arya is awesome.
    15. Who's the bloke who talks funny?
    16. Sam. Just Sam. Ha.
    17. Lovely clouds.
    18. "Well, I read it in a book" Ha.
    19. No third horn? Pfft.
    20. Hahahaha. "I've not tried that experiment"
    21. "Our order does not deal in pigshit!"
    22. Tyrion has another plan.
    23. Daenerys' other assistant is not a happy bunny. JEALOUS.
    24. Hahaha that's a good light moment involving the peacock
    25. HOLY CRAP IT'S A ZOMBIE
    26. HOLY CRAP TWO ZOMBIES
    27. Brienne back to normal, I think. I hope.
    28. Brienne and Catelyn should form a team and have a spin-off series.
    29. Oh wait they almost are.
    30. I think there's something a little wrong with the way Brienne is portrayed. She seems too quick, and not in a deceptive way. I mean she moves way too quick in general.
    31. Hodor!
    32. Hodor!
    33. Oh! It's her! My favourite character who never bloody appears! Osha!
    34. Jon looking rather like I did at work this last week due to all the wet weather.
    35. Whoopsie, he just said "I LOVE YA" in more words than were needed.
    36. Um... he lost his shirt.
    37. THUD.

Anyway. Um... Better episode than some as it was better paced and took a step back to advance the plot with some of the stronger characters. It didn't just throw you in for the most part, it just built upon what was there.

Best episode of the season, for me, and not because there were no bare breasts (well, unless you count Gendry's.) Most of it was a series of conversations, but what wonderful conversations they were and so beautifully acted by everyone. Everything rocketing ahead. I loved everything in this one. Except Margaery's dress -- she looked like she escaped from a Devo music video. Although it was quite chaste for her so far. I am now accepting new Margaery because while she's stereotypical, she's fun and the actress is clearly having a good time playing her. She will eat the increasingly unhinged Cersei alive. Yes, the surprise that she is not an innocent miss is gone, but if we're going to get rid of it and go bold, might as well make it interesting to watch. She has scary eyes which are growing on me. (She's spookier than Melissandre actually.)

I can't decide which conversation I liked best. Probably Stannis and Davos edges out the rest because it was so subtly done and because I love Davos. But the Jaquen-Arya conversation was perfect, and the Danys-Jorah conversation really worked. Loved the snow scenes, Tyrion wrestling with King's Landing, all of it. Renly died a good death scene, although the shadow seemed a bit obscured. I will miss him. And if my husband doesn't stop shouting "Tonks!" every time Osha comes on screen, I may have to do something dire. But she was excellent also.

Who wants a baby dragon robot? Me! Definitely jazzed about the rest of the season now. Do you think they managed a mastadon in the budget or no?

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Except Margaery's dress -- she looked like she escaped from a Devo music video.
    That's true. It looked really odd. Mind you, she's not had a good dress so far. It's either been wacky or cleavage-chilling.

And now I looked up Tonks and just developed another girl-crush. Thanks, Kat.

1. Brienne. What. What. No, seriously. What. There was absolutely no build up to that moment at all, and her personality changed completely. -- Really? I thought it mostly fit the book. They broke it up from the birthing of the shadow last episode. They have to do it relatively fast. If you keep expecting long build-ups, you're not going to get them in the series. They wanted to get certain info out there, so she's less restrained emotionally.

13. Wait I think I missed something there. What... um... Theon wants to piss the Starks off 'cos daddy says so? -- No, daddy said raid the villages on the coast. The first mate points out that Iron-born raiders don't always stick strictly to orders and that the crew will be more likely to follow Theon for bigger prizes. So he suggests going after the fort, which will draw Stark defenders, which then lays Winterfell open to attack. Theon thinks, I could pull this off. (Oh poor deluded Theon.)

14. Arya just death-stared Tywin.
    14.5. Thus, Arya is awesome. -- "Anyone can be killed."

15. Who's the bloke who talks funny? -- Jacquen! The Nameless Man. As you say, Thud.

19. No third horn? Pfft. -- No, it was Halfhand coming to the camp. One horn. And a lecture about what the horns mean for those who forgot from Season 1.

23. Daenerys' other assistant is not a happy bunny. JEALOUS. -- She's not jealous exactly. She's worried that Danys will forget that she is the Dothraki Khaleesi and that her loyalties are to the Dothraki, and fears the foreign maid is maybe too great an influence now that they are in Qarth.

30. I think there's something a little wrong with the way Brienne is portrayed. She seems too quick, and not in a deceptive way. I mean she moves way too quick in general. -- She's a brilliant fighter. That means she has to be able to move quickly.

33. Oh! It's her! My favourite character who never bloody appears! Osha! -- Oh come on, they've invented lots of scenes for her.

I like your lists.

Really? I thought it mostly fit the book. They broke it up from the birthing of the shadow last episode. They have to do it relatively fast. If you keep expecting long build-ups, you're not going to get them in the series. They wanted to get certain info out there, so she's less restrained emotionally.
    But I've not read the book. To me Brienne went from standing in a corner silently to crying her eyes out. Where was the build up to that? The logic, even? It just happened. You never saw her get invested in Renly enough for it to make sense. To me, anyway.

No, daddy said raid the villages on the coast. The first mate points out that Iron-born raiders don't always stick strictly to orders and that the crew will be more likely to follow Theon for bigger prizes. So he suggests going after the fort, which will draw Stark defenders, which then lays Winterfell open to attack. Theon thinks, I could pull this off. (Oh poor deluded Theon.)
    Oh, right. I find it hard to follow Chinfluff's scenes 'cos I just want to punch him. Constantly.

"Anyone can be killed."
    Yup. Proof Arya is badass.

Jacquen! The Nameless Man. As you say, Thud.
    Oh. He's pretty cool.

No, it was Halfhand coming to the camp. One horn. And a lecture about what the horns mean for those who forgot from Season 1.
    Was more me kinda commenting on the fact they went on about the third horn and it didn't happen, as it might typically do so in other productions. You know, that whole "jinx" thing.

She's not jealous exactly. She's worried that Danys will forget that she is the Dothraki Khaleesi and that her loyalties are to the Dothraki, and fears the foreign maid is maybe too great an influence now that they are in Qarth.
    Ah, I see.

She's a brilliant fighter. That means she has to be able to move quickly.
    Yes, I'm not disputing that, but I mean certain actions seem to happen too quick. Her drawing the sword to swear her oath just moved too quickly for me, and it didn't look right. She seems very careful and well-paced in her movements in general, so anything quick like that stands out to me. Could have been a hiccup with the online viewer thing though.

Oh come on, they've invented lots of scenes for her.
    She's only appeared two/three times this season so far, though. The scenes with her, Bran and Hodor tend to be amongst my favourites. I like her attitude and her style, but I like the idea that a young boy is overcoming his disability and is shaping up to be a competent leader.

I like your lists.
    Thankee-sai. I have the Reply window open as I watch GoT, so I just type what's on my mind, hence the occasional "Ohhhhhh" point.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    So despite my misgivings about some still pics of Gwendolyne Christie she has panned out as Brienne pretty brilliantly. When I saw Pyatt Pree I actually said, "perfect" out loud. Stannis is more believable as Stannis every episode. Oh and Jaqen! JAAAAAAAQEEEEEEEN! I hope this show gets an Emmy for casting if there is one available. There's so many marks to hit and they keep pulling it off time and again. Everyone in my living room last night vocally agreed that the worst thing about the show is when it ends every week. Great stuff!
    I agree, Jaqen was perfect. Too bad that's probably the most we'll ever hear him speak.

Not much else to say... I liked the whole episode.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Best episode of the season.

Brienne is 100% PERFECT. The abrupt reaction to Renly's death was because A) she loved him (this was a surprise in the books too), and B) she was sworn to protect him with her life. She failed her sworn oath, and saw her King/love die right in front of her; of course she's going to go crazy. I thought the scene was perfection. I did think there was some lack of momentum/buildup, but that it was most likely due to the fact that they saved Renly's death for this episode, instead of ending the previous episode with it (I think that would have been better).

Stannis/Davos had their best scene yet, by far.

Tywin/Arya was amazing.

Jaqen is perfect.

Pyatt Pree is soooooo creepy.

So far, I think each episode has been better than the last. This week's episode covered so many story lines (everyone except for Joffrey, Sansa, and Robb) but the pacing felt right, not rushed.

I'm sad that we're already halfway through, but I'm fully expecting the next 5 episodes to be pure awesomeness.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; May 1st, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

I liked this episode. But, it felt like it passed way too quickly. It felt like one of those 'lining up for other things,' episodes, apart from with Harranhal, though it would have been nice to see Jaqen at work. As for not seeing him again? Nah, I think they'll get a good Soup scene.

I would have liked it if they kept Margaery more innocent and lovely, just for the shock of her being so ambitious later on. Perhaps they could have revealed it in a scene with Olenna. ...LET ME WRITE. D> But meh, this'll do.

Bronn. Osha. BRONN AND OSHA. I'm in love.

Sod getting up for work in 4 hours, I'm watching this one again

Quote Originally Posted by raggedyman View Post
    And the amazing Maisie still amazes!
    I know she's had many of us singing her praises over the months, but this episode just stopped me dead in my tracks. This is a girl just days past her 15th birthday, and she absolutely held her own in a killer scene with Charles Dance. Amazing is the word, no doubt about it.

Loved this episode entirely, absolutely sterling stuff. Just...just...brilliant. Every little thing was bang on the money. Tyrion didn't even steal the show this week, and there is no higher praise (although his "demon monkey" scene was hilarious, as was the "plots and schemes" line). The snow scenes were quite stunningly beautiful and suitably epic, and the Ironborn were pleasingly rowdy. Also, I confidently predict I'll be seeing that Godawful face of Pyat Pree in my nightmares shortly *shudder*.

And let joy be unconfined - finally, THAT is Stannis!

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    But I've not read the book. To me Brienne went from standing in a corner silently to crying her eyes out. Where was the build up to that? The logic, even? It just happened. You never saw her get invested in Renly enough for it to make sense. To me, anyway.
    He believed in her, let her fight, made her a member of his king's guard. She told him that she would go into death for him. And they had a bit here and there that indicate how she viewed him. Like I said, they do it quick.

Oh, right. I find it hard to follow Chinfluff's scenes 'cos I just want to punch him. Constantly.
    That may eventually change. Or not.

She's only appeared two/three times this season so far, though. The scenes with her, Bran and Hodor tend to be amongst my favourites. I like her attitude and her style, but I like the idea that a young boy is overcoming his disability and is shaping up to be a competent leader.
    You'll be seeing more of her this season.

He believed in her, let her fight, made her a member of his king's guard. She told him that she would go into death for him. And they had a bit here and there that indicate how she viewed him. Like I said, they do it quick.
    I'm not doubting that, but I'm saying it just didn't seem... right? Maybe it's different in the books, but it just seemed Brienne going from Standing In A Corner to Weeping And Wailing happened for no explained reason.

That may eventually change. Or not.
    Probably not. Maybe if he gets his head out from 'twixt his cheeks and stops thinking the world of himself, but I doubt that'll happen much.

You'll be seeing more of her this season.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I think they are seriously not developing minor characters that well. Brienne, for example, Sandor - so that when those characters come to huge points of their stories, no one quite gets why they've made the choices they've made. But this isn't their fault, it's just a time thing I guess. They've only got so much, which is why the prostitute scenes and non-book characters annoy people, I guess.

Also, Charles makes me LOVE Tywin. I know I shouldn't, but gosh that guys good.

I also prefer ShowCat to BookCat. I want her to by my mum. >C (Sorry, Mum.)