Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I've just finished watching it. Overall reaction - high class. Once again, absolutely stellar work by the design and effects and photography people; the Red Waste looked genuinely worrying - I would NOT fancy a long stroll in there, thanks - and Grey Wind was absolutely bloody terrifying. It looks as if the many fears expressed by posters here that the direwolves were going to be sold short in the TV show can be set aside. That panoramic shot of King's Landing was very impressive too, albeit it still remains rather different to how I pictured it from the books (but at least it is consistent with s1's look).

Dinklage was on top form - he really convinces in his warmth to the young Lannisters, while clearly having an absolute ball in his new job. His delight in making Cersei twitch was joyous.

Gripe: I'm not too keen on the performance of Stephen Dillane as Stannis, at least not on this showing. Stannis should be stern but sharp, nobody's fool; and I'm afraid foolish is exactly how he came across to me. He just seemed petty and rather clueless, instead of the hard imperious fanatic I expected. I shall watch that performance with interest as the weeks pass.

Oh yes - Sophie Turner and Jack Gleeson absolutely set the screen alight in their scenes together. Her fragile wounded dignity and his someonekillhimNOW depravity really sparked off each other. This storyline is going to be SO good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    I enjoyed the episode, but I didn't love it. Too many short, choppy scenes. There's so much information to cover that it's starting to feel like the show is being told in shorthand -- the characters speak a couple vital things and then off to another scene.

This might get me cyber-crucified by the uber-fans, but I think this show needs to cut back the plot with a battleaxe. A great book can get away with some loose sideplots that end up meaning little-to-nothing in the grand scheme, but a mini-series like this suffers when it tries to cover too many bases. Better scriptwriters, imo, would have nixed several of these storylines from the start and focused on those that really mattered.
    Said the same thing this morning to my co-workers.

They have way to much to cover and way to many story lines but I do get that they had to get them all off and running. They did manage to keep it entertaining and compelling but they are walking a fine line if this keeps up. We could end up having a season of plot points, soundbites, cliffs notes, or whatever you'd like to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    Gripe: I'm not too keen on the performance of Stephen Dillane as Stannis, at least not on this showing. Stannis should be stern but sharp, nobody's fool; and I'm afraid foolish is exactly how he came across to me. He just seemed petty and rather clueless, instead of the hard imperious fanatic I expected. I shall watch that performance with interest as the weeks pass.
    Me too. He didn't make much of an impression in this episode.

I think he suffers from tunnel vision, and an inability to compromise. Why not let those people keep their old gods? Good leaders know how to compromise, and it doesn't seem like he understands that.

I loved Dany's decision to send out riders, to see what they could find, instead of just wandering Moses-like. I couldn't help but think of some of the stupid things the characters did in The Walking Dead, and how much better that show would have been if those people had a leader like Dany.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    but the show's opening was rolling along with it's little clockwork models and, well, glued to the tube I was.
    I have to admit the intro seemed to... sound a little rubbish. The music didn't flow as well as I remember it doing, at least on the official soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure they've re-mastered the theme music, not necessarily for the better. And after obssessing over Jason Wang's version on YouTube, it sounds even worse.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, it was good to be back in Westeros.

The reviews have started to appear. I'm finding it interesting to read what those who have not come across the series before think.

Here's one quite detailed review (for non-genre, anyway).

Short answer: they liked it, a lot.

And you thought Game of Thrones couldn't get any darker?

HBO's sex and swords fantasy series returned tonight with its grimmest scenes ever. Incest, baby killings and direwolves dominated the first hour of season two, which sizzled with tension as the effects of the deaths of Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon, and King Joffrey's controversial appointment to the throne, rippled across Westeros.

Featuring the obligatory mixture of sex, Peter Dinklage magic and ugly moments that make your jaw drop, Game of Thrones return didn't just live up to the hype, it far exceeded it.

Makes you wonder how they're going to react to the rest, doesn't it?

Mark
    Mark

I watched it again. I think my favourite part of the episode was Tyrion's reaction when Cersei told him that she only had one Stark left. I've been pretty impressed with the acting, and I didn't think there were very many misses in this episode. I thought that the actor playing Robb did a better job in this episode than he did at any point in season 1, and Jon was solid as well. Can't wait for the next episode, hopefully we'll see a bit more of Arya.

The ratings were spectacular -- over 8 million viewers, and that's saying something for a premium/pay network. Have other HBO shows done that well?

The actors playing Joffrey and Robb seem taller this season. They couldn't have grown, but it made me wonder if in the first season they were shot so that they'd appear shorter, or if now they're being shot to appear taller. Or maybe it's just my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Makes you wonder how they're going to react to the rest, doesn't it?
    I'm concerned for that Otaku guy from YouTube - when we finally hit the Red Wedding, he might very well have a stroke so severe he takes out half the building. Remember last time?. <THOROUGHLY non-Disney language - brace yourselves.

Yeah, he mad.

We also got a look at Eddison Tollett , better known as Dolorous Edd. "I was born in a place like this. Later I fell on hard times."

I know and he's the dad from the brilliant BBC comedy Pramface . Delighted to see him in the roll as he's perfect for it .

Quote Originally Posted by raggedyman View Post
    We also got a look at Eddison Tollett , better known as Dolorous Edd. "I was born in a place like this. Later I fell on hard times."
    I didn't know that was him -- thank you. What an Eeyore.

Since we're in the spoiler thread, can someone tell me please what's happened to Bronn? Is he still alive?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I was blown away by the premiere. Production values have definitely improved. The dragon looked AMAZING. The direwolf looked a little fake, but still amazing; huge improvement over the dogs from Season 1, IMO; Can't wait to see the new and improved Ghost!

Surprised to see some criticisms of Stephen Dillane as Stannis. I think he's an excellent actor, loved his portrayal of Thomas Jefferson in the HBO mini series John Adams, and am absolutely loving his version of Stannis so far. Probably the highlight of the episode for me! Also really liking Liam Cunningham as Davos; I think he's one of those pieces of casting that will make the character much more enjoyable than in the books.

Other highlights:
    -Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey seem a lot more comfortable in their roles, adn their acting has improved noticeably! They also have great chemistry together.
    -Joffrey is even more hate-able than before ("Well struck, Dog!", LOL).
    -Loved Bran's wolf dream.
    -The final scene was suitably horrific. God, I hate Janos Slynt.

Minor criticisms:
    -The Dontos scene was a little weird. Not sure I liked the actor. Didn't seem drunk enough.
    -As usual, it felt a little rushed. Already at Craster's keep??? (Which, by the way, looked exactly how I imagined from the books).

Looking forward to the rest of the season. Can't wait to see the Iron Islands, Balon Greyjoy, and Brienne!
    Last edited by Evil Agent; April 3rd, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
    Since we're in the spoiler thread, can someone tell me please what's happened to Bronn? Is he still alive?
    You mean in the show? Bronn was there, although he only spoke one line.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    I'm concerned for that Otaku guy from YouTube - when we finally hit the Red Wedding, he might very well have a stroke so severe he takes out half the building. Remember last time?. <THOROUGHLY non-Disney language - brace yourselves.

Yeah, he mad.
    Unfortunately, someone spoiled the Red Wedding for Larry Williams, sometime last year. He was quite angry at the time, but now he says he's still excited to learn the how and the why of it all. He's also disabled comments on his videos, to prevent himself and his viewers from similar spoilers in the future.