Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed it and though it was a good opening episode.

My favorite scenes all included Cersei, Dany, Melisandre, Tyrion and Littlefinger.

I do feel sorry for Sansa, and I think her actress did a good job of showing her despair over her situation.

I also quite liked that there wasn't a lot of Catelyn.

And the baby snatching/murdering scene helped me better understand the scene from further on involving Arya and *I am blanking on his name right now* But when the soldiers come I didn't understand from the book who they were really after.

Oh, and I still don't care for the actor who plays Jon Snow. In the second book I grew to like his character, but to me the actor shows absolutely no emotion at all and just stands there all the time with a blank look on his face. The Jon in the book has emotions and feels like a real person to me.
    Last edited by TheIELighten; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    You mean in the show? Bronn was there, although he only spoke one line.
    No, later -- I'm reading Dance with Dragons and there's no mention of him. I remember almost nothing from the earlier books, and the Wiki plot summaries don't mention him. He's one of my favorite characters.

Good episode.

Is it just me, or were the most memorable scenes ones that were not in the book? I can't remember as it's a while since I read it. But the Robb/Jaime, Cersei/Littlefinger and Cersei/Joffrey scenes can't really have been recounted directly because of the POVs.

I guess you can say it was rushed, but then I found the book a little slow, so hopefully it's going to even out for me.

Since we're in the spoiler thread, can someone tell me please what's happened to Bronn? Is he still alive?
    Yes. Bronn was last seen in A Feast for Crows. Lady Tanda Stokeworth's husband challenged him to a duel and promptly got killed by him sending Tanda do-lally. Cersei sent her off to the dubious pleasures of Qyburn, leaving Lollys and Bronn, effectively, as the Lady and Lord of Stokeworth. Cersei seemed torn between giving an ally of Tyrion's so much power and Lady Stokeworth's husband getting what was due to him for being so stupid. Then she got arrested and the situation didn't come up again. Bronn doesn't appear in the post-AFFC bits of ADWD.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I've been out of town, so I only managed to see this last night. One hour passed very quickly, leaving me already counting the days until the next episode. Sansa was great this episode, I would have liked more of Arya. Davos looks the part, but I don't think he had enough to do in this first episode, and to someone who hasn't read the books, probably he means nothing yet.

I have some minor grumbles about two new faces, but I will probably get used to them. Cranster doesn't look savage enough, and Melysandre doesn't look exotic or dangerous enough, at leat not how I pictured them in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    Davos looks the part, but I don't think he had enough to do in this first episode, and to someone who hasn't read the books, probably he means nothing yet.
    Quite a lot of the new characters mean nothing, I'd say. They're just... people who exist.

I'm guessing Tony Way's character is some sort of clumsy knight who means well?

He's sort of a post retirement Han Solo I'd say. A former dirtbag who overachieved in life. I like Davos a lot and I'm excited to see what this guy does with the character.

My family had to deal with me squealing, "It's Davos! Oh, and he's perfect!" I've enjoyed Liam Cunningham before in things, so I was very pleased with their choice.

As for the episode, I think they did a nice job given that it was a here is where everybody is so we can get started orientation. The red comet transition made me smile.

I was not as into the Littlefinger-Cersei scene as others. Yes, the knight dance was very showy (although one can imagine what the knight characters were likely thinking when they did it,) but it was pretty much a standard threat and counter threat conversation. But these are major non-pov characters and the actors need things to do, and that scene sets up Littlefinger realizing that he has to change gears. I thought the Cersei-Joffrey scene was better, though. I am way mucho impressed with Jack Gleeson playing Joffrey. He's got the hardest role in the whole thing, plus is often slapped, and he was brilliant in his scenes. I thought it a good decision to bring the brutal bastard slayings on stage, instead of just passing mention. There are a lot of those types of things in the books in background that could be used for plot clarity and this was a key issue that led nicely into the last shot of Arya and Gendry. I also liked that Roz, the sexposition prostitute, is shown going from incoming prostitute to having worked herself into the madam position for one of the brothels. If we're going to add characters as information channels, it's nice that they aren't static.

My favorite scene, though, was probably Rob talking to Jamie. They were both very good and it was a more entertaining threat and counter threat talk to me with the direwolf than the Cersei-Littlefinger one. They've switched from the sled dogs to actual wolves and after that they have to go to almost full CGI, so it was a good transition about the wolves getting bigger. It's also a key scene. And I liked Craster's whole sequence, of course, and Dolorous Ed who I didn't realize was Ed either until later. They did it nicely. I liked Sansa's scene too and the subtle use of the Hound. It will be interesting to see what people's reactions are to Sansa this season. Dinklage good as always, but the scene with his gal went on a bit too long, I think.

I was kind of worried that when we had to have more shots of the CGI dragonettes that it wouldn't work so well, but I thought it went okay and Danys' scene was good even if something of a placeholder. I just hope they can keep increasing the budget to manage all these things. Tomorrow, we get Greyjoys! And pirates. So that's all going to be fun. And so many other....how in the world has Martin managed this many plotlines without an having an aneurism?

I hope the second episode has one of the female characters I'm looking forward to. There's Brienne and that girl whose name got changed (Osha? Asha?)

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I hope the second episode has one of the female characters I'm looking forward to. There's Brienne and that girl whose name got changed (Osha? Asha?)
    Asha Greyjoy has been changed to Yara Greyjoy. Osha is still Osha (the wildling girl hanging out with Bran and Hodor).

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Asha Greyjoy has been changed to Yara Greyjoy. Osha is still Osha (the wildling girl hanging out with Bran and Hodor).
    Ah, so Osha is one of my favourite characters then.

Brienne, Yara and Osha. Got it.

Another good episode. I really like the portrayal of Davos. I think Peter Dinklage is right on track to get himself more nominations too. "Yara" and Balon were both great!

I liked it too. The standout scene for me was Tyrion and Cersei, and the look on Tyrion's face as Cersei blamed him for their mother's death. (The mom in me wanted to hug him and tell him it wasn't his fault.) Is this where he really starts to hate his sister?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Holy crap…

I absolutely loved this episode.

Personal highlights for me were:
    -The Tyrion/Janos scene
    -Yoren vs. the Goldcloaks
    -The Balon Greyjoy scene

Special mention to the invented scene between Littlfinger and Ros. Seeing Littlefinger shift from consoling to threatening was incredibly disturbing.

I was especially impressed with Balon and Yara (I wasn’t convinced by the photos I’d seen of Gemma Whalen as Yara, but she owned the role 100%. LOVED her).

I’m curious whether non-reader might be a little confused/lost at this point (especially by the Davos/Sallador and Balon/Yara scenes)?

Fantastic episode all around.

For me, this was the first episode of the series where I had big problems with it in a number of areas, although there was stuff in it that I liked a lot. I know that they have to cut stuff, but they seem to have cut a lot of stuff in order to have scenes that do little but waste time. I know that they got more money from HBO to cover CGI and to stage the battles they need, but I'm beginning to think they're trying to shunt everything into small talking scenes again until the very end.