Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    In the beggining scene, I thought they were going to go with some Beric or some Nymeria, but eh. Grey Wind outta' nowhere was awesome.

Craving my Sandor/Sansa scenes, or some build up in some way or minor characters. They finished seven minutes early, and that was with the rediculously long recap before the titles. FILL IT IN, PEOPLE. >D

By the way, I'm sure that doctor is supposed to be Jayne. She was cast as such? I think they're either playing her as the rebel who runs around healing men on battlefields for NO APPARENT REASON, or just a foreign girl, not a Westerling, for... again, no apparent reason.

Robb is not DUMB enough to do that, I'm sorry. His choice was a little dumb, but he was made to feel safe by her nobility and the stupid promises of her relatives. If he knows enough to out smart Tywin, and not trade Jaime for his own sisters despite the emotion involved, I'm not believing he's going to up and bed some complete randomer.
    Last edited by Luya Sevrein; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    Quibble time: I think they've made a mistake with the casting of the new Mountain. He is so much less impressive in sheer threatening physical bulk then the last guy. Pity.
    Where was he? Everyone's mentioning him and I overlooked (pun semi-intended) him.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Where was he? Everyone's mentioning him and I overlooked (pun semi-intended) him.
    I guess that's the problem.

;D

Remember the tall spindly guy who did the choosing of the victims? That's him.

IIRC, this is a reference to Stannis being technically 'reborn' on Dragonstone as a follower of the Lord of Light (presumably in the ceremony on the beach where he first drew Lightbringer).

My heart lurched when they went back to her and Robb, who was clearly taken by her (and why not) - I had a horrible feeling she was going to turn out to be Jeyne, remade as a sort of boil-in-the-bag feisty action hero girl. I was greatly pleased that she wasn't. She was a very striking cameo, though - I wonder if we'll see her again?
    Er.

Spoiler:
    She's either Jeyne in disguise, or a totally new character who has replaced Jeyne as Robb's love interest.
    Last edited by Werthead; April 24th, 2012 at 05:13 AM.

My fiancee and I did not care for that chick at all. At the start of the scene it was like, "Oh this is kind of neat." and by the end I was like, "What a pain in the ass." Robb isn't exactly a man without problems so it was grating to me how she just kept chirping at him. The proof of how wrong she is to berate him like that is in the pudding of the harsh fate that would befall her if she tried that line with Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, Balon Greyjoy... LOL Khal Drogo...

Holy F! Just watched ep 4 last night. So good. What a way to leave you hanging with scary shadow baby being born. I was cringing at the scene where the rat was used to torture the poor victims while the questioner asked his questions (can't recall his name). The intensity of this season keeps amping up with each episode. Rob is quite a dashing and commanding figure but all I can think of is the Red Wedding. More please, sir!

I liked her -- Jeyne or Alisa or whatever her name is. She made a good point, asking Robb what happens when his war is over. Everybody just gets to go home? It's something he obviously hasn't thought about. Typical of people who start wars with no end game in mind.

Robb's definitely interested. He did that squinty thing with his eyes that people do when they're appraising someone.

But I didn't see anyone driving the cart. The horse (or ox or whatever) just knows where to go next?

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Spoiler:
    She's either Jeyne in disguise, or a totally new character who has replaced Jeyne as Robb's love interest.
    Oh, Hell. My feelings have been re-horribled. I mean, she was a good strong character at first glance, and certainly worth glancing at, but I don't think it's overstating it to describe the whole Jeyne business as pivotal. Where are they going? Unless she IS Jeyne, playing at being a sparky rebellious free spirit on the battlefield, in which case I'm going to fly to the States and slap the person who decide to do turn her into such a dismal archetype. Slap them good.

Was it just me, or did Davos seem a tad underwhelmed when Melissandre gave birth to her "shadow?" You'd expect him to be gaping.

I sure didn't remember Joffrey's whore-beating scene from the books. But I think I understand why they added it.

I loved the Dany vs. The Thirteen scene; it had some great dialogue. Who was the actor who did most of the talking for The Thirteen?

I also loved how Arya kept her cool when Tywin called her out for being a girl... that's Arya.

So it was Episode #4 that turned out to be the set-up episode, whereas Episode #3 had more forward movement, but it was an excellent set-up episode for the most part.

1) Opening: best "there was a big battle but we're not going to show it because we can't afford it" technique they've done so far. Also filled the direwolf quota dosage for the night.

2) Florence Nightingale does indeed seem to be Jeyne, Rob's love interest for the arc they're going to give him. They did give her a lovely speech, and the amputation scene was fun (kudos to the guy who played the poor soldier,) but this is again part of the "I'm resigned" situation where they are leaning into making good, scrappy girls and bad scheming girls. So yeah, in part the scene fell flat. It felt like a bit from another story shoved into this one. On the other hand, Richard Madden looks cute when he's playing flustered.

3) Far more unnecessary was the Joffrey tortures prostitutes scene. It's not off book that much as I vaguely remember mention that Joffrey tears up a prostitute in the book, but at this point again they really don't need to spend time re-emphasizing in the series that Joffrey is messed up and also furiously fighting with Tyrion. I am by now heartily sick of the prostitutes and would be happy not to see any more of them, after having defended their inclusion in Season 1. They've been over-used as a device this season and as Loerwyn points out, that means other, actual minor characters in the growing story get short-shifted. This isn't Deadwood they're doing. (Not that I didn't love Deadwood.)

4) I was completely astonished to hear that the Mountain was in Harrenhal. Then it was like, oh yeah, was that guy the Mountain? So I'm also sorry that they had to recast as the first guy was perfect. I'll better judge the new guy later now that I know what I'm actually looking at. They should have had someone call him the Mountain, so we'd know. It was also odd to have Davos called the Onion Knight without any explanation of the name.

Other than that, and a mild sigh over the way they're making the actress play Melissandre, the episode was very good in its bits and pieces and seemed determined to freak out those who haven't read the books. I got a little chill watching Arya do the list, lying in the mud in the pen. The Renly-Stannis pow-wow was great, Tywin's arrival was great, Bolton terrific in his debut, Sansa was great, Bronn was delightfully Bronn, Catelyn wonderful, Davos sublime, Danys and the Qarkians excellent though the actress needs to be a little less pouty at this point perhaps, Tyrion and Lancel a pure pleasure, and Carice van Houten gets 1000 bonus points for pulling off that birth scene, never mind the aid of CGI. Hats off to director David Petrarca for managing certainly one of the weirder episodes of the series. The next two episodes should rock with little time for brothel scenes. (But there will probably be boobies, as SNL explains. My bet's on Qark.)

Quote Originally Posted by Luya
    I don't think Loras is scheming.
    You're forgetting Season 1 where he's trying to talk Renly into a coup for the throne before Robert has even died. They've made him a bit petulant and manipulative. That's not necessarily bothersome. I don't really have a problem with Margaery being more openly manipulative either. I do have a problem with them turning her into a stereotypical scheming bad girl with her neckline to her navel. But the show is simply not going to be as nuanced as the books. It makes up for it with the shocking visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn
    Tyrion is *definitely* the most honourable character in the series.
    You mean, Tyrion the rapist?

Quote Originally Posted by Palfrey
    Was it just me, or did Davos seem a tad underwhelmed when Melissandre gave birth to her "shadow?"
    His stumbled scrambling and collapsing against the cave wall as if he was about to faint seemed underwhelmed?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    They should have had someone call him the Mountain
    They did. Hot Pie: "That's him, the one who picks!" Arya (recognizing him): "The Mountain!". Later, she adds his name to her death list. Brief, but it was there. Personally, I think he looks too skinny... but his face is okay, and his voice was actually pretty cool. I just wish he wasn't wearing Lannister armour (crimson cloak and one of those stupid Lannister helmets). He looked like just another Lannister guard. IMO, that's why some people didn't recognize that he was supposed to be the Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by kged View Post
    Oh, Hell. My feelings have been re-horribled. I mean, she was a good strong character at first glance, and certainly worth glancing at, but I don't think it's overstating it to describe the whole Jeyne business as pivotal. Where are they going? Unless she IS Jeyne, playing at being a sparky rebellious free spirit on the battlefield, in which case I'm going to fly to the States and slap the person who decide to do turn her into such a dismal archetype. Slap them good.
    Say it, man.

My thoughts exactly, EA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    You mean, Tyrion the rapist?

I'm sorry to go off topic, and double-sorry that I need to ask this question. Who did Tyrion rape? I've only read through A Storm of Swords, and I can't for the life of me remember this.

Perhaps he made a joke about raping someone that got taken the wrong way?