Short Stories - Strange "True" Stories

Hi Forum,

I remember as a kid owning (and reading a number of times) a paperback that was a group of short stories pertaining to be "true" stories of the weird and fantastical. I know one of the stories was about someone living alone in a house, started to hear scratching in the roof and after a time "met" this strange (rat-like?) creature that had human hands and could talk.

There was also another story (a well-known urban myth/illusion) about a hill where you would park you car and it would roll up the hill.

Does this jog anyone's memory? I'd love to find the book and read it again, if alone for nostalgic value...

(Forgot to mention, this was in the late-70's).
    Last edited by Westsiyeed; April 3rd, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Hi Forum,

I remember as a kid owning (and reading a number of times) a paperback that was a group of short stories pertaining to be "true" stories of the weird and fantastical. I know one of the stories was about someone living alone in a house, started to hear scratching in the roof and after a time "met" this strange (rat-like?) creature that had human hands and could talk.

There was also another story (a well-known urban myth/illusion) about a hill where you would park you car and it would roll up the hill.

Does this jog anyone's memory? I'd love to find the book and read it again, if alone for nostalgic value...

(Forgot to mention, this was in the late-70's).
    The second one doesn't ring bells, but the first sounds less like a "true" story than it sounds like H. P. Lovecraft's, "Dreams in the Witch-House."

Randy M.