That recurring thread, spun in a different way...

I'm at a loss for something to read. I'm looking for a book/series to hold me over until the second book in the Dagger and the Coin comes out. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Not sure how to describe my taste, but I'll do my best...

My favorites:

Prince of Thorns
    Gene Wolfe
    Dragon's Path (liked Abraham's sci fi novel too)
    Entire & the Rose series - Kay Kenyon
    George RR Martin
    Felix Gilman
    House of Suns
    Zoo City
    Etched City
    Mortal Coils series
    Land Fit for Heroes series

I recently read and liked (but didn't love):

Gardens of the Moon
    Theft of Swords
    Against the Light

Appreciated most of what I read from the Heroes (especially the opening), that said, I'm not all that interested in war. Couldn't get into the first book of First Law.

I'm a fan of Scott Lynch's world, but get irritated by the world saving scenarios his characters fall into. I'd prefer the series if the scope was more intimate.

Finished Gardens of the Moon and some of it I loved (neat ideas) but at times it got a bit too convenient with things coming together under all too convenient circumstances. Loved the beginning of the second book, but not sure I'm ready to commit the time.

I like and finished Theft of Swords and the first book in the second collection. Found the sections about the Empress more interesting than the stuff with the series leads. There are some neat ideas and D&D nostalgia that kept me reading. Once again things sometimes get wrapped up too neatly.

Haven't gotten into Brandon Sanderson's stuff. Characters come across as flat and cliched. Dialogue is cheesy.

Glen Cook = war doesn't keep my interest. I prefer smaller scale stories. Yeah, I know, I like Martin, but his characterization is cinematic and his world is fleshed out in a way I can't help but love it.

I feel like I should like Vandermeer's novels, but I like the ideas better than the execution. Too literary.

Mieville is obviously a talented writer, but his politics sometimes drain the wonder from his stories, that and he gets too descriptive.

Couldn't get through Amber, the story is too big. Didn't care about the characters. Neat ideas though.

I usually don't like Urban Fantasy/Detective Stories.

I like strange worlds. Surreal is good as long as it doesn't just become a literary device. I'm a fan of nostalgic nods to Dungeons & Dragons (TSR 1st edition with demons and scary magic, not Wizards of the Coast). I like elevated low brow, stories with surprising depth. I like horror with purpose. Characters who grow. Mythic ideas expressed in small things. I like conversations that make a reader think. I like books that have a sense of wonder, that breathe real magic.

Yeah... I'm a picky dick, some might say a prick... Please help! I'm happier when peaking in on strange people in strange lands whose decisions help me reflect on my own strange world.

This thread is like a rivet fired from a nailgun directly at Rob B's eye lol.

Okay... Before it gets mentioned, I read and really liked Name of the Wind. My wife didn't like the second book so I didn't bother. I'll eventually give it a go.

Read the first book in Psalms of Issac but didn't like it enough to continue.

Started the Weight of Blood, but man... Other than some really cool descriptions of magic and nostalgia (screaming skulls, threads of magical will, a nod to Dragonlance Chronicles in the pair of main characters) silly dialogue and all too familiar Fantasy 101 themes led me to stop and look for something else.

Acacia had some good moments, but some of the character chapters didn't interest me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    This thread is like a rivet fired from a nailgun directly at Rob B's eye lol.
    Yup, here's my weekly response:

We get a lot of "what can I read next" threads on just about a daily basis. We find that such posts usually get the same response. Actually looking at what's already on the Web site or utilizing our SEARCH function will usually answer most people's requests. Perhaps it is uncommon, but we like people to have a look around rather than just demand (even if it's polite!) immediate gratification for their own personal needs.

With such a large and complex site it can be difficult to see everything going on, admittedly. But if people think that there's answers out there they will point people in the general direction.

So, rather than people coming here and repeating the recommendations they've provided in other threads, I'll direct you to some of those threads:

The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror
    Favorite Fantasy series, '011 edition!

If you like ^^^^^ then you might like #####
    Just started in Epic Fantasy - What to read? / Epic fantasy suggestions... (Merged)
    Gimme some good adventure books! (Similar to Three Musketeers,Locke Lamora or Sharpe)
    Book that just blew your mind....
    Looking to start new series
    Need help picking new fantasy series to read
    **looking For Fantasy Trilogies**
    Hopefully putting this in the right place (looking for a new series to read)

my next series to read
    Fantasy series

Bakker maybe? Probably not quite right, but being excellent is always the most important criteria imo. Despite your aversion to Urban Fantasy I'd seriously recommend giving the Dresden Files a go, starting with book three, they get steadily better and build epic plots in volume of books rather than pages.

Oooh, or how about Guy Gavriel Kay? I've only read Tigana, but he might be right up your street.

Hi Rob, I visit this site daily and am aware of the various threads you posted. That said, I'm hoping by posting specifics about my likes and dislikes someone might magically appear and say "we have the same taste... You have to try...". Far easier than looking for a needle in a haystack. Selfish yes! But also appropriate for a Fantasy Forum. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yup, here's my weekly response:

We get a lot of "what can I read next" threads on just about a daily basis. We find that such posts usually get the same response. Actually looking at what's already on the Web site or utilizing our SEARCH function will usually answer most people's requests. Perhaps it is uncommon, but we like people to have a look around rather than just demand (even if it's polite!) immediate gratification for their own personal needs.

With such a large and complex site it can be difficult to see everything going on, admittedly. But if people think that there's answers out there they will point people in the general direction.

So, rather than people coming here and repeating the recommendations they've provided in other threads, I'll direct you to some of those threads:

The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror
    Favorite Fantasy series, '011 edition!

If you like ^^^^^ then you might like #####
    Just started in Epic Fantasy - What to read? / Epic fantasy suggestions... (Merged)
    Gimme some good adventure books! (Similar to Three Musketeers,Locke Lamora or Sharpe)
    Book that just blew your mind....
    Need help picking new fantasy series to read
    **looking For Fantasy Trilogies**
    Hopefully putting this in the right place (looking for a new series to read)

my next series to read
    Fantasy series

I've looked at Bakker but haven't bit. I'm concerned it will be philosophical without a sense of wonder. Seems bleak. I could be wrong though.

Read Tigana years ago and liked it. Standard fantasy politicized and done very well with good characterization. Not fun though. Not strange or otherworldly.

Dresden Files makes me nervous because it helped usher in a trend I'm not a fan of. I am interested in occult themes, hoodoo, etc. but the way these things are whitewashed, often with a Christian read (Hell, the Devil, Biblical themes and wars) just puts me off.

Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Wyvern View Post
    Bakker maybe? Probably not quite right, but being excellent is always the most important criteria imo. Despite your aversion to Urban Fantasy I'd seriously recommend giving the Dresden Files a go, starting with book three, they get steadily better and build epic plots in volume of books rather than pages.

Oooh, or how about Guy Gavriel Kay? I've only read Tigana, but he might be right up your street.

Two novels from this year might work for you, so far, both are on my very short list of best of 2012

Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole

and

Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear

I'm not a very big fan of it, but it sounds like maybe N. K. Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms might be up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Two novels from this year might work for you, so far, both are on my very short list of best of 2012

Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole

and

Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
    Thanks for the recommendations. I liked what I've read by Bear and the Shadow Ops isn't something I'd usually look at but the review has sparked my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    I'm not a very big fan of it, but it sounds like maybe N. K. Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms might be up your alley.
    I like the opening scene

I've read mixed reviews about this series, but it does seem like something I might like. Thanks

I started reading the Last Dragon yesterday and so far so good, although it took a while to pull me in.

Has anyone here read the January Dancer? I loved Eifelheim and am curious about this series.

Surreal? Strange? I'm gonna go out on a limb and recommend Michael Moorcock's five novel "Dancers at the End of Time". I re-read these last year and found them as refreshing as ever. They are some years old. I'm not sure of current availability, though I'm almost possible I saw them in bookstores not terribly long ago. Haven't looked recently. A word of caution: These might not sit well with the more prudish amongst us, not that I would know.

-Decrepit-

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldAnxiety View Post
    I like the opening scene

I've read mixed reviews about this series, but it does seem like something I might like. Thanks

I started reading the Last Dragon yesterday and so far so good, although it took a while to pull me in.

Has anyone here read the January Dancer? I loved Eifelheim and am curious about this series.
    I read January Dancer a couple years back, it was good, I think it was my first completed scifi book. I know Liviu likes this series.

How's the eye, Rob? lol