Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

How do I put a value on a book?

Hi there SFFWORLDERS,

I am thinking about selling a first edition, signed copy of one of my favorite books, which is gathering dust and wondered how on earth I go about getting an estimate on the value of the book? I have looked online and can't find another copy out there, certainly not signed.

Thanks for any advice.

All the best

Juzzza

See what is it selling for on ebay.
    Do not use the "Buy Now" pricing as it is probably inflated.
    What is the book?

Check out this site: Addall.com

I used to work for a very large used book store - we used that site, among others, to price books.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Check out this site: Addall.com

I used to work for a very large used book store - we used that site, among others, to price books.
    That's a useful site. Thanks, Alchemist.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    See what is it selling for on ebay.
    Do not use the "Buy Now" pricing as it is probably inflated.
    What is the book?
    It's Legend by David Gemmell.

After doing the research suggest here, you still have to remember. Such as with anything, it is worth what someone will pay for it. So, imo, start high. And go as low as you are comfortable with.

Would I rather have this much$ or this book....

I collect first edition books, and have a pretty good collection. The best place to buy is ebay, once you know the value.

For very old many things determine the value. From quality, to who owned it. The best place to see what is out there is www.abebooks.com.

For instance there are several Legend signed 1st editions available right now. You can at least see what is offered for what price.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cancerman View Post
    The best place to see what is out there is www.abebooks.com.
    For book collectors eBay and AbeBooks, as already mentioned, are good places to buy/sell. Another site aimed more towards collectors than every-day book purchasers is Alibris. There, I saw Against the Horde, 1st ed., 1st printing for as high as $54.00 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    It's Legend by David Gemmell.
    eBay UK has a signed first edition of Legend onsale at the moment with an opening bid price of £400, condition described as 'Good' - has been read, scuff on the cover, but in good nick overall.

No bids on it yet so unsure of how realistically it is priced.

Must say, that is one title that would have pride of place were I to own it. Since the sad demise of DG, I would think that the price of the book will only continue to rise, why not bag it up and pop it away somewhere safe?

Or of course let me know what you end up selling it for

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legend-Dav...item20c4ea11aa linky for ya

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    eBay UK has a signed first edition of Legend onsale at the moment with an opening bid price of 400, condition described as 'Good' - has been read, scuff on the cover, but in good nick overall.

No bids on it yet so unsure of how realistically it is priced.

Must say, that is one title that would have pride of place were I to own it. Since the sad demise of DG, I would think that the price of the book will only continue to rise, why not bag it up and pop it away somewhere safe?

Or of course let me know what you end up selling it for

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legend-Dav...item20c4ea11aa linky for ya
    That's my one!

Great tips on the other site, guys, there is a signed hardback edition with two letters from David going for over $2500!