Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80
  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    I end up falling so behind sometimes. I've seen Jeff posting around here, but only now just read Rob's review. As an Abercrombie and Cook fan, I'll certainly be trying this out to see how well it suits me. Congratulations, Mr. Salyards, on the success of your debut.
    Thanks so much, Peter William. I really appreciate that.

    The book's only been out a month, so you aren't too late to the party. I hope it suits you fine.

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    I'm not sure what constitutes overkill, but since this is my first book and it's only been out a month, I still get pretty excited when new reviews pop up. If you've read your fill of those already, move along, nothing to see here. . .

    http://www.graspingforthewind.com/20...jeff-salyards/

    http://courtney-schafer.blogspot.com...ayer-jeff.html

  3. #48
    Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    980
    Blog Entries
    4
    Jeff,
    This is your own personal thread and is meant exactly for doing what you are - for instance posting reviews etc. Go for it!

  4. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Jeff,
    This is your own personal thread and is meant exactly for doing what you are - for instance posting reviews etc. Go for it!
    Thanks. The whole promotion part of this is something I'm still sort of trying to figure out. But as you say, on this thread in this forum, I probably won't come across as a snake oil salesman!

  5. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    -in your head-
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    Thanks. The whole promotion part of this is something I'm still sort of trying to figure out. But as you say, on this thread in this forum, I probably won't come across as a snake oil salesman!
    I've found that while other writers and Mods get offended real easily over self promotion, the readers respond to it.

    Jack Valance said it best: Confidence is sexy.

    If you look at the site stats at the bottom of the main forum page here (or any genre forum) you will see that there about 80 people just viewing for every person logged in. Those are the readers. They dont often log in. They read. :-) Give them some content to enjoy or they will go elsewhere. They sure didn't stop in because they wanted to be bored more than they are. The 6 million indie authors that have published a book in the last few years are the ones logging in. So you are addressing indie authors in general when you post at a genre forum. There are exeptions... obviously. I am not trying to start an argument.

    I tweet 40+ times a day about my books. I have 22 titles and each has a handfull of reviews from across the globe, so I am rarely tweeting the same links. About once a week, some one stops in and says. WOW all you do is tweet about you. You are a spammer.

    I say: Then why do I have 93.7 thousand people NOT UNFOLLOWING me. They have the choice. They followed me for a reason. Content is king and we as authors are content providers. It's really simple.

    I think you will be big time. Fantasy readers like bold heroes. Be one. Post those reviews because I am asking you now. Now there is no way it can be considered spammy.
    Last edited by M. R. Mathias; June 6th, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: because I can't type :-)

  6. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Thanks for the feedback. Since you asked, the reviews and guest posts will continue popping up here.

    So, what is the general consensus about authors reposting that sort of stuff on Reddit Fantasy? Is it considered spammy if toot your own horn by reposting reviews there?

  7. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    -in your head-
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Since you asked, the reviews and guest posts will continue popping up here.

    So, what is the general consensus about authors reposting that sort of stuff on Reddit Fantasy? Is it considered spammy if toot your own horn by reposting reviews there?
    I don't know. What I do know is the preview of my Book I and Amazon, who make a pretty penny off of their cut of my sales, sell my books. All the attention I get, negative, or otherwise, just leads readers to the previews.

    I only post for like two weeks - three times a year, when I am waiting on an edit. (like now) The rest of the time I am writing and traveling. I have to make a Big Splash in my two weeks...lol :-) I've only heard of Reddit once before now, but I want to thank you. I posted a link to 13 free short stories over there. :-)
    Last edited by M. R. Mathias; June 6th, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: because sometimes I come off like an a-hole on accident :-)

  8. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    -in your head-
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Salyards View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Since you asked, the reviews and guest posts will continue popping up here.

    So, what is the general consensus about authors reposting that sort of stuff on Reddit Fantasy? Is it considered spammy if toot your own horn by reposting reviews there?
    Sorry... new topic. Are you planning an Audio Book release? I am diabetic and as my eyes get worse, I am thinking more and more about audio books.

  9. #54
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,908
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Hey Jeff,
    You're really making the rounds...good for you!! I love seeing all the enthusiasm. I hope the launch is going well.
    Indeed. Not that I want to jinx it, but I seem to only see people saying good things about the book on my intarweb journeys.

  10. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    -in your head-
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    2

    I gave your blog the @DahgMahn bump. :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Indeed. Not that I want to jinx it, but I seem to only see people saying good things about the book on my intarweb journeys.
    Nice blog Rob.

  11. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by M. R. Mathias View Post
    Sorry... new topic. Are you planning an Audio Book release? I am diabetic and as my eyes get worse, I am thinking more and more about audio books.
    Good question. I'll have to check with the publisher on that one. I certainly hope so.

  12. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Indeed. Not that I want to jinx it, but I seem to only see people saying good things about the book on my intarweb journeys.
    Thanks for the shout out, Rob. I really appreciate it.

  13. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Related to the book in a peripheral way, but here is my guest post on the Night Bazaar on anti-heroes that you might get a kick out of.

    http://night-bazaar.com/something-so...way-comes.html

  14. #59
    Hey Jeff,

    Scourge was a great read. Lots of fun interplay between the characters and good characterization all around. The tension and my interest ratcheted up nicely with every chapter. I read thing over the course of a day and kept wanting to go back to it when I wasn't reading.

    Excellent story. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go next. Thanks.

  15. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suburb of Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marquitz View Post
    Hey Jeff,

    Scourge was a great read. Lots of fun interplay between the characters and good characterization all around. The tension and my interest ratcheted up nicely with every chapter. I read thing over the course of a day and kept wanting to go back to it when I wasn't reading.

    Excellent story. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go next. Thanks.
    Thanks so much, Tim. I'm really thrilled you enjoyed the book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •