Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New book by Stella Gemmell?

Heya folks, so I read on the news section on sffworld that Stella Gemmell is getting her debut published in the spring of 2013. The book is to be called "The City" and her publisher already seems to shower praise over her book. Does anyone have any info on what this book is about? Is it a continuation of an existing David Gemmell series or is it a brand new epic fantasy? Since I'm a huge David Gemmell fan and I presume (or sincerely hope) that Stella Gemmell has been greatly influenced by her late husband this will by a must buy for me.

Very good news and I have high hopes for this one!

/Alex

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not too much yet, Alex. That Press release is all we have at the moment.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it will be a new Fantasy in the Gemmell style.

She was not only his second wife but his editor for quite a while before that, so the omens may be good.

And she did finish David's Troy series for him.

Mark
    Mark

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Not too much yet, Alex. That Press release is all we have at the moment.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it will be a new Fantasy in the Gemmell style.

She was not only his second wife but his editor for quite a while before that, so the omens may be good.

And she did finish David's Troy series for him.

Mark
    It will be interesting to see what she comes up with. I can't think of many examples of dynastic writing ... Tolkien's son ... any others?

Well, Stephen Kings son Joe Hill is also a horror-author=) I'm really psyched for Stellas debut and I will definately buy it the second it hits the shelves.

So many nice books that are coming out! On that topic, when is your next coming out Mark?

Blog Entries
    I can't think of many examples of dynastic writing ... Tolkien's son ... any others?
    Ooh, good question!

The Mathesons, Richard and Richard-Christian could be added.

Fritz Leiber and Justin Leiber.

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Well, Stephen Kings son Joe Hill is also a horror-author=) I'm really psyched for Stellas debut and I will definately buy it the second it hits the shelves.
    I've heard of Joe Hill - never knew he was King's son. Any good do you know?

So many nice books that are coming out! On that topic, when is your next coming out Mark?
    August!

Blog Entries
    Any good do you know?
    Personally prefer his short stories to his novels. Thought 20th Century Ghosts was brilliant, really didn't like Horns.

Mark
    Mark

Joe Hill is, arguably, better known and stronger as a comic writer.

There's also the Pratchetts. Sir Terry Pratchett and his daughter Rhianna, who is/was a games journalist and has written for various games in the past, including a tie-in comic series.

Well I really liked Joe Hills "Heartshaped Box". It was spookey in a "movie-like" sense.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    There's also Michael Resnick, sci-fi writer and his daughter, Laura Resnick, who writes fantasy.

Blog Entries
    Anne McCaffrey + son Todd McCaffrey working on the same series.

I may be camping out infront of a bookshop for this. Actualy I think Amazon preorder is healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Personally prefer his short stories to his novels. Thought 20th Century Ghosts was brilliant, really didn't like Horns.

Mark
    I agree, 20th Century Ghost is the finest collection of tales I have ever read.

Here is the first blurb for The City:

Deep within the rotting bowels of The City, in its rank catacombs, crumbling sewers and ancient tunnels, society's dregs and dispossessed - and those who are fleeing punishment or who simply want to disappear - struggle to survive. Above ground, the streets and markets teem as people go about their daily lives, and the palaces of the privileged gleam in the sunlight. All seems well. But in truth, the City teeters on the brink of disaster. It is place of cruelty and fear, where the rule of its seemingly immortal and quite possibly insane ruler has brought his dominion to its knees through waging almost constant war over hundreds of years.

Amongst the outcasts living beneath are a brother and sister with no memory of their past and an old man who wishes to keep his secret. Disaster will separate them but years later, the memory of a tattooed corpse and something akin to fate will reunite them as players in a monumental conspiracy to liberate their world...

Combining inspired world-building, complex characters in whose lives the reader becomes wholly involved, morally ambiguous action and thrilling battle scenes, this vibrant, multi-layered novel is a stunning achievement and places its author at the very front rank of fantasy fiction.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Stella-...5034697&sr=1-1

R.A. Salvatore's been writing some books with his son. Maybe not quite the same thing, but David started acknowledging his wife Leigh on his later books (although she'd apparently had the same level of invention and involvement with all of his fantasy books all along).

It will be interesting to see what she comes up with. I can't think of many examples of dynastic writing ... Tolkien's son ... any others?
    Not quite. Christopher Tolkien has worked as an editor on JRRT's unpublished writings, but he has never created or written any original prose or stories at all set in his father's creation.

In fact, my understanding is that whilst editing The Silmarillion and finding a couple of minor sections that needed new linking passages to make sense, he backed off and called in another writer - Guy Gavriel Kay - to do it for him.