Trying to recall fantasy book series

I have been racking my brain and scouring the web, but unfortunately I only remember bits and pieces. So here is hoping you guys can help me out.

The main character of the series is a barbarian. I think he was the son of a shaman or other magic user. I remember him being a bit of a playboy, and not very brave. He has a wolf familiar/companion.

Magic in the setting is aided or enhanced by stones; I remember there were blue and red stones that did different things, but I don't remember what.

The first book (I think) involved the character discovering an unconscious princess and needing to get her somewhere. At the end, she got transformed into a wolf as well.

Sorry for the haphazardness of this. Basically all I remember is that it's a fantasy setting with a barbarian magic user (of some kind) as the main character. He has a wolf familiar, and the first book involves a princess.

Thanks in advance, and let me know if I can provide any more clarification.

Sounds a lot like the Chronicles of the Cheysuli by Jennifer Roberson. The first book in the series is Shapechangers.

Unfortunately I don't think that's it. I just looked at a couple of synopses, and they don't appear to be the same books.

Here is a bit more of what I remember.

Early in the first book, the main character's tribe goes into a battle against someone else, and the main character is literally kicked down a hill to be the first one in the fight. However, since he manages to keep his feet under him, he is hailed as being brave and eager to be heroic.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It sounds like the Greyhawk books written by Rose Estes. I think the first one was Master Wolf.
    rlp

THAT'S IT!

Thanks for the help!