Waiting on a book - the anticipation.

So I ordered a copy of the out of print, "Misspent Youth" by Peter Hamilton. It comes from a library collections friends group of some sort that sells old library copies. =) So its got some history.

Its technically the first book in the Void series. And I am in the mood for another good start on the road of space opera. Although Misspent Youth I haven't noticed billed as space opera, it is part of the world that the last 3 'void trilogy' books is in.

Now, back to the issue at hand. I HATE the waiting. I have grown FAT and SPOILED by being able to have these sort of things instantly. I am reminded of when I was a kid waiting on Christmas.

I get that with Amazon, if I'm honest. You get so used to Amazon stuff arriving quickly that you begin to shun other stores because they don't ship as quickly.

Exactly. It the wait on just them getting it out of the door that kills me. It can't be that tough to run by the UPS store on the way home. Especially for used books. I decided that since it was out of print I wanted a used copy with a story behind it. So I got this one from a library's auction house. I think someone donated a newer copy perhaps and they are offing this one. =)

A lot of the old, out of print books I order come from the US (I'm in Canada) and to avoid the crazy high shipping costs I send them to friend in Vermont and I have to wait till I vist him or he comes up here. So add a couple months wait time for me.

My book finally came in today! (Misspent Youth by Hamilton)

In reading your comments, I was reminded of that time, in 2000, on a subway in Washington, while I was reading my first out of print book - "The Confessions of Saint Augustine" on my palm pilot V.

Yes, on the Palm V -- technically the Vx which cost like $590. I was insane back then for buying it. I have never understood why I bought that thing. Any way, it got use both as a planner and as .... an ereader. I thought about how convenient it would be to be able to store books on a hand held device.

And then, Amazon, with their marketing engine, ran with the same idea. =)

So, for all of those out of print books, why do you wait on them from Vermont as opposed to getting them electronically? I personally just can't bear the idea of a book being temporary. A movie, sure, put it on Amazon streaming or netflix streaming and I will pay for teh convenience of having the digital library available. But a book????? I want my books to be around later. Even some of the ones I didn't particularly like and some which I have never read. I am becoming a bit of a book hoarder. And that used book market is so enticing when it comes to buying things like 1st editions. Or at least pretending we have the cash to buy 1st editions.

Ah, anyway, off to put my four kids in bed and then turn the lights down and sink into the book. =)

[addendum: now if my daughter's How to Eat Fried Worms would just come in...]

A lot of the OoP books I buy are not available electronically, and I just love a physical book. That being said I got a Kobo touch eReader about two months ago and I love it.

HA! I love this thread.

So, I really have to thank Robert Jordan and Wheel of Time for developing my supernatural abilities to wait for books. I've been waiting for one or another WoT book to come out for over 20 years. It's been so long now that I don't really even get excited about it anymore. I saw a thread someone posted that A Memory of Light is finished and I didn't even click the link. All I've done, for two-thirds of my life, is wait for the next book. So yeah, as Tom Petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part. But a person can get used to anything.

That said, I do have to say that technology is fantastic and it's so great to hear about a book one minute, then find and download and start reading it the next. A.W.E.S.O.M.E.