Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaStaffer View Post
    Agreed.

I'm working on Daniel Abraham's The King's Blood
    I don't like you anymore. Between this and the lies you've been spreading to TC McCarthy....

That's one book I would read IMMEDIATELY upon receiving it.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    Bloodstone is standalone. Practically, all three books I've read so far by Karl Edward Wagner are standalones. Death Angel's Shadow is a collection of novellas similar to Fafhrd and Grey Mouser adventures, only much darker. Darkness Weaves With Many Shades is a full length novel, but the only recurring character in these books is Kane.
    Good to hear and thanks. I've been meaning to read some Kane for a while now. But then I'll have to read some Conan to counter the effects and see who the ultimate barbarian is.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    I fell into the middle on this one. Based on my recollections, I liked the plot and quite liked the world-building, but thought that the characterization, prose and dialogue were too simplistic, as well as being longer than they should have been at times. I thought that there was a great book in here, but that it really could have done with a fair amount of polishing and cutting.
    I really enjoyed it, but I can't really argue with you on most of your points. I thought the prose was really intense though, not very simplistic at all. It's what made the book pretty difficult reading for me actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat #2) by Clive Barker.

Yay for weird fantasy.
    That's next in line for me. I loved the first one. A movie could be amazing, or terrible depending on how it's done.

Right now I'm reading The Descent by Jeff Long. I wasn't sure how much I would like it and am pleasantly surprised. Really fast paced, creepy, and the characters are great. My first book by Long but will definitely look for more by him.

Finished up Wolfsangel by MD Lachlan. I liked it. Kind of dark and pretty strange. Just went and ordered the sequel Fenrir from amazon.

Now reading Altered Carbon by Morgan.

Currently reading, Deadfall Hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem. Entertaining so far, with a slight Bradbury/Gaiman feel to it, mainly through content and approach since Tem's prose style differs from either.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    Now reading Altered Carbon by Morgan.
    That was a pretty good book. I'm currently reading the second in that series, Broken Angels. While it's ok, I'm not enjoying it as much as the first and it's been slow going.

I just bought Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin and will be starting that shortly, followed by (I think) White Night by Jim Butcher.

Just started The Steel Remains by Morgan. Really enjoying it. So far it seems like the this could be a book/series that blows me away, a la Abercrombie, Martin, Bakker.

Quote Originally Posted by murf99 View Post
    Just started The Steel Remains by Morgan. Really enjoying it. So far it seems like the this could be a book/series that blows me away, a la Abercrombie, Martin, Bakker.
    It's one of my personal favorites.

I finished When We Were Executioners by J.M. McDermott. It's an odd book, even more so than the first one, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely looking forward to the last in the trilogy.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm thinking of maybe starting my WoT re-read, so that I'll be finished with it by the time the last one is published.

Read interesting books
    After a lot of non-fantasy and a few rereads like the duology Metropolitan/City on Fire by WJ Williams (re-released as ebooks by the author recently while I am at my 5th read of each ), finally I acquired a fantasy that should break my 2012 ok-to-meh experience in the genre as current books go, namely King's Blood by Daniel Abraham; it starts very well and I like the prose but let's see if I find it interesting enough...

I also started From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjon which may have some fantasy-nal content from what I heard; this one is superbly written so far but it is literary fiction not genre
    Last edited by suciul; May 2nd, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post

I just bought Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin and will be starting that shortly
    That's an excellent book. He was only 31ish when he wrote it too. He's said he would like to write a sequel some day.

Started Guy Gavriel Kay's The Last Light of the Sun. I adore Kay. Very excited.
    Last edited by Danogzilla; May 3rd, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Read interesting books
    I finished The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham and in short it was an excellent traditional fantasy and the first such in 2012 that satisfied my expectations, though it still has some of what I started perceiving as the genre negatives after feeling i sort of exhausted it these past 4 years of FBC reviewing.

I posted a long generally spoiler free raw-thoughts review on Goodreads (two sort of spoiler paragraphs hidden there) and I will c/p it in the series thread here on sffworld

I seem to be in between books at the moment waiting for China Mieville's Railsea to release in a coupe weeks. I've been filling the space with old graphic novels I haven't read in forever. Read a few Watchmen comics tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat #2) by Clive Barker.

Yay for weird fantasy.
    Finished. Very much in two minds about it. I didn't quite love it, but I didn't dislike it.