Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are there many other artists here?

I just joined last night, but I've visited the site a few times looking it over. I'm curious to know if there are really any other artist's here. As an artist myself I know that I have a different way of looking a books than many readers that I know. Personally I'm very interested in the imagery of a scene. I don't like reading a book that doesn't seem to take place in a definable location. I know some people prefer to read just the facts, but for me I want to see exactly what the author is trying to show me. I have a hard time getting into a book where the characters are basically silhouettes floating in an ambiguous void. I tend to like the same kind of books that other artist find enjoyable.

Blog Entries

Short answer, Yes.

I am an artist too, not great, but I did make my own avatar. I do like descriptive writing as long as the writer can maintain the flow of the story. Writing is a most challenging medium in that respect. Too much description can bore your reader, while too little makes your characters seem like cardboard.

I too am also an artist, you can see my thread just below this one

Blog Entries
    I too am an artist, currently pursuing a Bachelors of Creative Media. But I've been too chicken to post :-P

I do it, but more as a hobby these days. I got into computer graphic design by accident really, taking a graphic design job while in college studying political science. All I do these days are logos for clients that approach me or stuff for my books.

Here's a thingy I finally "finished" this week after puttering around on it for a long, long time. Of course, I'll probably tweak it again. It's a city from my WIP universe that I made purely for inspiration. I used some mountain photos I had for the mountains, a few building photos from my travels, but much of what you see, I created using vectors and then rendered them in Photoshop.

http://s15.postimage.org/9dnyx5z3d/n...or_posting.jpg
    Last edited by Sarunus; June 30th, 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by virangelus View Post
    I too am an artist, currently pursuing a Bachelors of Creative Media. But I've been too chicken to post :-P
    You should, though.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarunus View Post
    Here's a thingy I finally "finished" this week after puttering around on it for a long, long time. Of course, I'll probably tweak it again. It's a city from my WIP universe that I made purely for inspiration. I used some mountain photos I had for the mountains, a few building photos from my travels, but much of what you see, I created using vectors and then rendered them in Photoshop.
    Ug. I hate that image posting site. I just can't see it. Maybe a firewall thing?

Anyway, I copied/pasted the address into another tab, and it looks great, Sarunus. Well done.

Catherine Broughton

I am not an artist but I have just had a sketch of me done by Catherine Broughton, and I am using that as my profile picture. She is an author first, I think (A Call from France and others) but also a talented artist. Sorry can't remember he site - turquoisemoon dot something - probably co.uk because she is English.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Ug. I hate that image posting site. I just can't see it. Maybe a firewall thing?

Anyway, I copied/pasted the address into another tab, and it looks great, Sarunus. Well done.
    Thanks tmso! Yeah, I can't see it anymore either, so I just posted a link to it.

I doodle from time to time but I'm no classical artist. -nudges forum avatar in all its tiny glory- I definitely grew up drawing my favorite story characters though!

Apollano
    Quote Originally Posted by shorinji_knight View Post
    . As an artist myself I know that I have a different way of looking a books than many readers that I know. Personally I'm very interested in the imagery of a scene. I don't like reading a book that doesn't seem to take place in a definable location. I know some people prefer to read just the facts, but for me I want to see exactly what the author is trying to show me. I have a hard time getting into a book where the characters are basically silhouettes floating in an ambiguous void. I tend to like the same kind of books that other artist find enjoyable.
    I seem to find that experience as well as imagination helps a person with description and visualization in a work of writing or art. It may be that there is not enough of the experience side to buck up the imaginary or visual scene that is being describe.

This interview between George R.R. Martin and Bernard Cornwell makes for some thoughtful and insightful information about writing:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news.html

Last edited by WinstonL; July 21st, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

I am, at least part-time. I stick primarily to aviation art, but I dabble a lot in science fiction. A fascination with machines, I suppose. You can see some here: http://www.boomandzoomgraphics.com

Apollano
    Heh, heh. I enjoyed your "2009: A Spacebat Odyssey" animation, fritzthefox.

i can't draw, all the pictures i make are really ugly
    Gkarlives, that is one creepy and really well-drawn avatar! nice work

scrabble

Apollano
    My work is okay. I have just to finish a few projects already started (not easy). The first coming out by early next year.

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/a...ter/?start=all