it drive me nuts!

i tell people i like science fiction and they automactically assume i mean star trtek and star wars. which to some degree i do but am more into the books. does this happen to you/

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Cona,

What happens to me when I say I like fantasy or science fiction is that little smirk that spreads all over people's faces.

It's like, are they smirking because they like it too, but know better than to admit it in public? Or do they think I'm a weirdo?

Or both?

I get the "Oh...my son/grandson/nephew reads that stuff."

To which I respond with a big toothy smile, "Oh, I WRITE that stuff." They either edge away, looking nervous, or they say something like "Really? Do you know [famous writer I can't stand]" or "Are you published?"

If they edge away, I say "But I'm really not an alien you know" and see if they edge away more or calm down.

But also, yes, sometimes the assumption that I like the movies, not the books.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Speaking of movies, is the buzz surrounding the HBO version for Game of Thrones good for he rest of the genre? Will we see better adaption of fantasy epics with decent budgets? I would love to see The Deed of Paksenarrion on the big screen, maybe not with the actress who plays Brienne, but also not some Barbie doll clone with a huge sword.

My belief is that science fiction actually encompasses all other genres of literature but just has less inhibitions.

I have read science fictions that include romance, adventure, mystery, philosophy, comedy, horror, young adult, history and yes, even "literary" elements.

So when I find people that only read serious literary works, I can't understand why they are deliberately avoiding the fun. I guess I have pity for them.

One day while chatting to my wife, I casually worked in a comment related to "The Three Laws of Robotics," knowing that she, as a fellow science fiction reader would get it. Then I stopped in my tracks surprised to realize that she is the only woman I had every been romantically involved with who was also a science fiction fan. No wonder I'm so happy!

Quote Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
    Then I stopped in my tracks surprised to realize that she is the only woman I had every been romantically involved with who was also a science fiction fan. No wonder I'm so happy!
    I get that a lot with my fiancee's friends (and no, I'm not romantic with them. Just thought I'd nip that joke in the bud. ), but yeah, as soon as they find out I like SF, fantasy, video games and beer, I become super fiancee or something.

When people ask me what I read, I simply say, "I'm a total nerd. I read SF and fantasy." I get more of the edging away when I add, "my favourite is feminist SF and Fantasy." Apparently that just makes me crazy. I always add the "I'm a nerd" part, because it usually diffuses the situation a bit. They know they can joke around with me about it.

We get no respect, no respect I tell ya's.

I know, everyone thinks I'm a weirdo too (especially my in-laws) and let's be honest, some of those covers really don't help our cause. And yet, "those covers" are usually my favorite.

Author, John Marco, just had a post where he said this:

The other day I was at Target with my son, sitting in their little cafe area sharing a pretzel. A woman and her young daughter sat down near us and started chatting. I don't know why--if you saw me you wouldn't think I'm the talkative type. But there we were talking when somehow the subject turned to books. Being a fantasy writer, I'm always on guard for the snobs. So I told her I was an author, and she lit up with excitement (as the uninitiated often do), and I knew I was in trouble. Naturally she asked what I write, and when I answered her face fell. "I write fantasy novels." That was all she had to hear. Conversation over.

I heard serveral times "when will you grow up?"

Way back in college my creative writing prof commented that one of my stories was science fiction and it wasn't. I guess that was because it had some depth and had more going on than just spaceships and robots. This was the same prof, who in an into to lit class assigned 1984 and did't think it was science fiction at all. Some people have no clue, even if they have a PhD.

There is another thread near this one that discusses definitions of Science Fiction, and that could be the problem. Different folks have different definitions. And there are many reasons to be uncomfortable about SF. For starters, it has the word "science" in the name. Many humans (we fans call them Mundanes) are uncomfortable around science. That's why they go with liberal arts--to get away from the math. Turns out that the "liberal arts" are not very liberal. They usually want to go with the old art and stories, and change makes them uncomfortable.

Interesting mention of 1984--Larry Niven, in Scatterbrain mentions that specific title as example of folks not thinking of a book as Science Fiction. I always thought that the works of Steven King was a better example. I suspect that he made a decision early on to not allow his books labeled SF, because there was a lot more money in the mainstream. King frequently starts as SF, then switches to Fantasy. Like The Stand. The first part was great, then as if he had worked the plot into a corner and could not figure a way out, he pulled magic to avoid any hard thinking. Larry also makes the point that time and progress erode a story's place in SF. Heinlein's stories about Mars and Venus are really Fantasy now because NASA has taken away their possibility. Odyssey and the Iliad were SF at one time.

I had friends and teachers at me in the 1950s, But I got a degree in engineering, and careers in the Air Force, computers, and satellite design. My friends went into home construction, banking, insurance, and flipping burgers. My advice is to ignore the smirks and go with what you enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by cona_the libari View Post
    i tell people i like science fiction and they automactically assume i mean star trtek and star wars. which to some degree i do but am more into the books. does this happen to you/
    Well, you can understand the sentiment unless of course you ignore everything that happed to Star Trek between the last episode of the original series and the recent movie starring Chris Pine as Captain Kirk!