Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I Just Bought.... (Horror)

Okay, I am going to cheat a bit because the last Horror book I bought was a couple of weeks ago, but what I did buy was Ghoul by Brian Keene.

I really enjoyed that one, in fact I believe they finally release the film version of Ghoul on the Chiller Network.

Haven't read Keene yet. Dark Hallow sounds interesting, but I just haven't dived in yet.

As noted in the "I Just Bought..." fantasy thread, I recently picked up

Deadfall Hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem
    The Croning by Laird Barron
    The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson (replacement copy; a Barnes & Noble book edited by Stefan Dziemianowicz which includes some of Stevenson's short stories like "The Body Snatcher" and "Olalla")
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (replacement copy)

And recently received (over a month after the initially proposed shipping date), Walk on the Wild Side and Where the Summer Ends, collected horror stories of Karl Edward Wagner.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    Haven't read Keene yet. Dark Hallow sounds interesting, but I just haven't dived in yet.

As noted in the "I Just Bought..." fantasy thread, I recently picked up

Deadfall Hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem
    The Croning by Laird Barron
    The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson (replacement copy; a Barnes & Noble book edited by Stefan Dziemianowicz which includes some of Stevenson's short stories like "The Body Snatcher" and "Olalla")
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (replacement copy)

And recently received (over a month after the initially proposed shipping date), Walk on the Wild Side and Where the Summer Ends, collected horror stories of Karl Edward Wagner.

Randy M.
    Tell me how Deadfall Hotel is, I've never read any of Tem's work but have always heard great things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Tell me how Deadfall Hotel is, I've never read any of Tem's work but have always heard great things about it.
    Hi, Bob.

Here's a link to what I said in the "Reading in May 2012" thread:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...ndy#post682974

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    Hi, Bob.

Here's a link to what I said in the "Reading in May 2012" thread:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...ndy#post682974

Randy M.
    So not his best work but worth the time to read it.

Keene is great for your quick & easy horror fix, I haven't read much of his new stuff in the last couple of years but I really enjoyed his Zombie books, Ghoul, Dark Hollow & Ghost Walk were all good, my fav would be The Conqueror Worms .

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    Keene is great for your quick & easy horror fix, I haven't read much of his new stuff in the last couple of years but I really enjoyed his Zombie books, Ghoul, Dark Hollow & Ghost Walk were all good, my fav would be The Conqueror Worms .
    For me, he ranks right up there with King and Simmons.

For me, he ranks right up there with King and Simmons.
    I've not been impressed by 90% of Simmons books, The Terror being the exception, which was Excellent.

I'm not sure exactly what Horror mean these days.

I'd put Robert R McCammon up there with King.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    I've not been impressed by 90% of Simmons books, The Terror being the exception, which was Excellent.

I'm not sure exactly what Horror mean these days.

I'd put Robert R McCammon up there with King.
    Have you read Simmons' Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, or Summer of Night?

McCammon is okay, didn't care for the fact that Swan Song was a direct rip-off of The Stand though.

www.Ritualofthestones.com

McCammon is okay, didn't care for the fact that Swan Song was a direct rip-off of The Stand though.
    Maybe but Swan Song is also superior. I love King but McCammon just beats him for me. Besides isn't King's, "Under the Dome" a rip off of McCammon's, "Stinger?"

Haven't yet read Song of Kali or Carrion Comfort but they are both on my future to read pile.

I put down Summer of Night, I hoped it would be like McCammon's Boys Life but I just couldn't get through it. I also couldn't finish Drood & Flashback.

I have to say I enjoyed Swan Song more then The Stand, and I think you have to read each book on it's merit, someone else could probably argue The Stand was a rip-off of an earlier post-apocalyptic horror.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotting Zombie View Post
    Okay, I am going to cheat a bit because the last Horror book I bought was a couple of weeks ago, but what I did buy was Ghoul by Brian Keene.
    So far Keene has been something of a disappointment for me though to be fair I haven't read any of his zombie stuff yet and that seems to be where he draws the most praise. I might give him one more try, where's the best place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    So far Keene has been something of a disappointment for me though to be fair I haven't read any of his zombie stuff yet and that seems to be where he draws the most praise. I might give him one more try, where's the best place to start?
    Try The Conqueror Worms if you haven't already, very Cthulhu like.

I'm almost finished reading Dark Hollow. I almost didn't get past the first chapter, but am glad I stuck it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find a reference to Wellman's Silver John.

Dark Hollow is my first Keene book. I'll be reading A Gathering of Crows next and likely follow up with Conqueror Worms.

RZ, Have you read Rhiannon Frater's The First Days? Good zombie book, imho. First one I've seen with female lead characters.