Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Look, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Swan Song somewhat but just didn't think it was close to as good as The Stand and too much of a rip-off of it. All writers today rip-off old ideas but just not to the extent that McCammon did in Swan Song. Boy's Life was good too but not as good as Summer of Night, IMO. I hope me saying this won't keep you from reading those Simmons books, it's just my opinion and I can't expect anyone to agree with me.
    Won't stop me mate, Carrion Comfort might even be my next read.

Rasputin's Bastards by David Nickle. CZP looks to be putting out some very interesting, edgy books. I have Nickle's Eutopia as one of my next reads.

Randy M.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotting Zombie View Post
    Okay, I am going to cheat a bit because the last Horror book I bought was a couple of weeks ago, but what I did buy was Ghoul by Brian Keene.
    So far Keene has been something of a disappointment for me though to be fair I haven't read any of his zombie stuff yet and that seems to be where he draws the most praise. I might give him one more try, where's the best place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    So far Keene has been something of a disappointment for me though to be fair I haven't read any of his zombie stuff yet and that seems to be where he draws the most praise. I might give him one more try, where's the best place to start?
    Try The Conqueror Worms if you haven't already, very Cthulhu like.

I'm almost finished reading Dark Hollow. I almost didn't get past the first chapter, but am glad I stuck it out. I was pleasantly surprised to find a reference to Wellman's Silver John.

Dark Hollow is my first Keene book. I'll be reading A Gathering of Crows next and likely follow up with Conqueror Worms.

RZ, Have you read Rhiannon Frater's The First Days? Good zombie book, imho. First one I've seen with female lead characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDoggie View Post
    Dark Hollow is my first Keene book. I'll be reading A Gathering of Crows next and likely follow up with Conqueror Worms.
    Don't read A Gathering of Crows until you read Ghost Walk. It isn't a sequel to Dark Hollow but it overlaps it quite a bit and it introduces the main character of A Gathering of Crows. Check out The Conqueror Worms, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this one and it has a sequel that Mr. Keene has been gracious enough to put it on his website for free before it gets edited for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Don't read A Gathering of Crows until you read Ghost Walk. It isn't a sequel to Dark Hollow but it overlaps it quite a bit and it introduces the main character of A Gathering of Crows. Check out The Conqueror Worms, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this one and it has a sequel that Mr. Keene has been gracious enough to put it on his website for free before it gets edited for release.

Thanks for the heads up on Ghost Walk. I'm sure I'll like Conqueror Worms since I enjoy Lovecraft.

a BIG lot!

bunch of Charles L Grant's work
    a few Brian Keene books in there
    a few Tim Lebbon
    and a few Richard Matheson books.

Ebay was my friend - and i owe thanks to a handful of you who made some recommendations I followed up on.

much appreciated ladies and gents!

Monstrosity by Edward Lee

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.

Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga.