Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar

The Master, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson

Just saw that Joaquin Phoenix has made a return to film, acting alongside Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master. While I would normally be inclined to see either actor, especially a film with both, I'm concerned that this one might be more of a slam piece on Hubbard than anything else. I suppose if it turns out to be evenhanded in its handling of the subject material (as opposed to be a wanton cheap shot at Hubbard, Scientology, Travolta and Cruise - i.e., all fairly easy and popular 'targets'), then I might see it. The degree of difficulty in appearing intelligent and amusingly sarcastic by putting down Tom Cruise and Scientology is low enough that the actual attempt would be more classless and gauche than anything else.

I expect Matt and Trey will make an episode of South Park about it. If nothing else, that's a good reason for the film.

I don't think any shot is too cheap to level at scientology. They literally destroy lives. L. Ron himself you almost have to admire in a Colonel Sanders-having-a-shootout-with-the-fried-chicken-guy-across-the-road kind of way but yeah I really have nothing good to say about scientology.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    I don't think any shot is too cheap to level at scientology. They literally destroy lives. L. Ron himself you almost have to admire in a Colonel Sanders-having-a-shootout-with-the-fried-chicken-guy-across-the-road kind of way but yeah I really have nothing good to say about scientology.
    I agree with you that scientology does destroy lives and that there isn't much good I can say about it. In this case, I much prefer a straightforward objection to a vain attempt to score points and appear intelligent by mocking, and sarcastically savaging, such an easy target since the degree of difficulty is exactly none.