Blog Entries

Rothfuss KKC3 Any tentative release date?

Just wondering when we might see this book released.

If I remember correctly I read somewhere that all three books had already been written back when NotW was released. Did anyone else read that somewhere a while ago or am I just not remembering it correctly? If so.... long edit!

Thanks for any updated info!

Nope, no tentative release date, I'm afraid.

Yes, during the initial promotion for The Name of the Wind the fact that all three books were done was emphasized a couple of times, but that's old information now. I think that what happened went something like this: When he went back to revise the second and third books for publication, Rothfuss found that the work needed to bring them up to his standard was more time-consuming than had originally been hoped. They needed to be marinated in awesome, basically, not just sprinkled therewith; The Wise Man's Fear, I believe, went through a couple full rewrites. These were large-scale reworkings of the book which involved making substantial changes based on how Rothfuss's final draft of The Name of the Wind turned out [including, for instance, adding in content for a surprisingly major character who didn't come into existence until a later draft of NotW], and making other changes that entailed writing very substantial amounts of brand new material which hadn't existed in the original draft of the whole trilogy. The same process, presumably, now has to happen for day 3 -- particularly given that Rothfuss now has two books-worth of new ideas and changed storyline to factor in. Apparently Rothfuss also had a quite horrible year round the time Name of the Wind came out, and so naturally wrote little. I ... think I might have seen somewhere that he's hoping day 3 won't take four years, as The Wise Man's Fear did, that perhaps three years might be possible instead. But there's nothing more substantial than that I don't think. So we must be patient. I'm sure it'll be worth the waiting.

Isn't ther3 supposedly 6 books in the KK series ? 3 days pre & 3 days post Kote's (Kvothe's) current day ?

Could be a George RR Martin sceanrio (waiting a long time for installments) ..

The 6-book idea was floated when the first book came out, but apparently the idea of a sequel series set afterwards was more of a, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." thing. Rothfuss has more recently said he doesn't think they'll happen and he'll move onto something different (maybe set in the same world, maybe not).

Book 3 has the working title The Doors of Stone. IIRC Rothfuss has said he lost a year on Book 2 simply because of the huge amount of publicity work needed for the first work and not being used to it. That hasn't happened this time around, so we may see it as soon as 2014. I would be surprised if it was any earlier than that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks much!