Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Read interesting books
    While I just got a main 2012 novel - The Sacrifice Game - by Brian D'Amato, I was a little tired to start seriously so i read some 100 pages from The Devil's Nebula by Eric Brown which so far is a generic fast and fun action adventure sf in a space opera context and i am enjoying it as such. However if I get more energy I will definitely start the D'Amato novel as that is in a different class (at least as expectations go of course)

About to finish Iain M Banks' Look to Windward. Very good novel. It was a bit wordy in places, but is culminating very nicely, and it's got a lot of Banks' humor ("So, can I eat this?").

And James S. A. Corey's Caliban's War just arrived! Great timing. I'll be starting that this evening.

Recently read Redshirts. I've always enjoyed Scalzi, but I was rather disappointed by this one. I didn't find it witty, funny, or interesting at all.

Will be reading Kop Killer by Warren Hammond next.

I finished Stark's Command by Jack Campbell yesterday. I enjoyed it just as much as the first book, but it was a complete change in that it didn't focus on the front line soldiers, but more at the running of the colony on the moon and the politics and everything else involved. It reminded me a lot of the Lost Fleet series, more so than the first book. I'll pick up the third soon, finish up the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    Recently read Redshirts. I've always enjoyed Scalzi, but I was rather disappointed by this one. I didn't find it witty, funny, or interesting at all.
    I just finished it in a couple of days and really enjoyed it even though I thought it was way too short. Are you a fan of Star Trek at all? A lot of the jokes hinged on some prior knowledge of some dumb stuff they do on TV.

Starting up The Honor of the Queen, book #2 in David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

I've read almost all of Redshirts by John Scalzi (just the codas left). It was an enjoyable enough read, but... I just didn't enjoy like I thought I would. It's an obvious parody of a bad Star Trek episode, but it could have been so much more. I just couldn't stop thinking of various episodes as I was reading it, which I guess was kinda the point. Out of all of Scalzi's books I've read I can easily say this is my least favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Worf View Post
    I just finished it in a couple of days and really enjoyed it even though I thought it was way too short. Are you a fan of Star Trek at all? A lot of the jokes hinged on some prior knowledge of some dumb stuff they do on TV.
    Oh yeah, I'm a big fan. I've seen all the movies and every episode of every show except for half of Voyager. And I understand that it's a parody, I think the execution just didn't work for me.
    Last edited by beniowa; June 17th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

I've just started Justina Robson's books of short stories: Heliotrope.
    Last edited by MMerle; June 18th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Finished reading the codas in Redshirts by John Scalzi. They didn't add much, if anything. Felt like they were there as filler. The more I think about this book the less I like it. Hugely disappointing.

I finished Caliban's War by Corey yesterday and it was good fun. Fairly consistent with Leviathan Wakes in tone and style. A good sequel. I like where the series is headed.
    Spoiler:
    Hope Bobby stays with the crew.

I started On Basilisk Station by David Weber. I'm about 100 pages deep, and so far it's good but not great. Seems like it's going places though, and the series is well loved, so I'm optimistic.

I've (finally) started on Sai King's 11/22/63. I'm about 25ish pages in and I'm... interested, definitely.

I finished Caliban's War as well, and my thoughts seem to generally agree with most so far - it was good, but fairly similar to Leviathan Wakes (making it not as exciting or new). It was a bit slow at the start but picked up, especially once the characters came together.

I liked the detailed way the effects of G-force were explained, and the authors have created some memorable characters.

Overall an above average read but without the impact Leviathan had.

I'm planning on starting 2312 by Kim Stanely Robinson tonight. This seems to be the big SF book of the year in a year of big SF releases. I'm really looking forward to it. Sounds like it will be right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    I'm planning on starting 2312 by Kim Stanely Robinson tonight. This seems to be the big SF book of the year in a year of big SF releases. I'm really looking forward to it. Sounds like it will be right up my alley.
    I'm halfway through. So far it's very good but actually quite formulaic in that it's basically a detective story with off-shoot adventures that happen in the different locations the team visit in the solar system. I'm enjoying it though and KSR's descriptions of things like the atmosphere of Saturn and sunrise on Mercury are top of the sense of awe SF class!