Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar

The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin), by Daniel Abraham

I really liked the first book, as well as the first three books of TLPQ, and its no surprise to me that I'm enjoying this one as well. The characters, and their particular conflicts/circumstances, are some of the best to come along. There isn't a single POV I rush through, hoping to get to one of more interest to me - they all work very well. Still, only 200pp in at the moment, but will probably finish tomorrow, or Thursday.

As an aside, even during the first book, each time the Geder Palliako POV comes up, my mind instantly plugs in John Bradley (actor portraying Samwell Tarly in Game of Thrones).

Really? I read the first one and don't get that at all. He's clearly much more able than Samwell in terms of what he can do physically, he's much more confident in himself, and I assume nowhere near as fat
    Spoiler:
    He charged into that gate in the first book and was involved in some proper combat
    . Personality wise he's obviously totally different too. Extremely cold. Pragmatic.
    Spoiler:
    He set an entire city on fire. Samwell obviously wouldn't
    The only real resemblance is the fact that he has a belly, and likes to read.

Can't wait to get to the second one btw. I flew through The Dragon's Path.

I was thinking more along the lines of the oft sullen, and nearly always insecure aspects of the two characters. I actually see Geder as somewhat sociopathic - e.g. his reaction to his belief that he is being toyed with and mocked by the social system of his country is...

Spoiler:
    to burn the city of Vanai, including its citizens, to the ground.

Within this second book, there has already been a second such example involving...

Spoiler:
    the ambassador of a neighboring nation - i.e. he discovers that the ambassador lied about being involved in the assassination attempt of the prince, in book one, executes the ambassador and has the ambassadors hands HPSed (Horse Parcel Service) back to the foreign king.

Geder is, somehow, fascinating, endearing and utterly repulsive - even monstrous. Abraham has put together a cast of characters here that I haven't been this rapt in following since I started reading Abercrombie.

haven't read the king's blood yet, but i actually don't find him repulsive. the burning came right out of left field for me, it was really the last thing i expected. but then i realised that i hadn't noticed just how cold he was. he seems to view the world no differently to the texts he loves to read. his reaction to
    Spoiler:
    burning vanai
    was about as fraught with emotion as his reaction to him
    Spoiler:
    losing his book
    . and for some reason, i don't hate him for it. it's odd.

i agree with your statement about the characters. i don't think the cast is as good as Abercrombie's three casts, but it's definitely not far behind.

still, i really don't see sam at all. sorry :/

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    still, i really don't see sam at all. sorry :/
    Ahh, I should have been clearer. While the similarities are loose, I unconsciously "see" that actor whenever Geder is "on stage." Not that the connection is a direct, or tight one, but that my mind wants to put a face it knows to the person. For example, when reading about Rothfuss' Kvothe, I'm often "seeing" Eric Stoltz - no solid logical connection, just a very loose, unconscious one.

Rogue Warrior
    Now I'm gonna be thinking of the HBO Samwell. lol

It is odd that somehow Geder is a interesting character. Guess thats a good word for him.

I really enjoyed this, greatly superior to the first imo. Worryingly I still find Geder quite sympathetic, I know I should not, but I find myself routing for him He is a believable and nuanced character who is swiftly becoming one of my favorites in the genre. Cithren proved less grating for me in this book.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Worryingly I still find Geder quite sympathetic, I know I should not, but I find myself rooting for him
    I think, from the writer's perspective, that's what you're expected to do. In History, I understand many psychotic dictators (Caligula, Hitler for example) had their charming side too....

But it is a book that keeps you guessing. Which is part of what's great about it.

Mark
    Mark

I'm a fan of Leviathan Wakes, which Abraham wrote half of. How much of that style translates to The Dagger and the Coin series, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Aware Eagle View Post
    I'm a fan of Leviathan Wakes, which Abraham wrote half of. How much of that style translates to The Dagger and the Coin series, if any?
    Well, the motifs will all be very different of course. Stylistically there are definitely similarities, but the sections Abraham wrote were the hardboiled space detective sections, so there will definitely be differences there too. I can say it's unlikely you will dislike The Dagger and the Coin if you are a fan of fantasy. You may not love it, but won't dislike it.

The only thing that really translates is Abraham's well written, terse prose. The characters are also very believable and well done.

I didn't like LW though. I didn't hate it, it just fell flat for me.