Witch

Question Good Lesbian Romance?

It's difficult for me to find good lesbian romance fiction. I've read every book written by Sarah Waters, which introduced me to the genre. Basically I'm looking for anything well written.

Recommendations?

I just realized that title would sound very strange out of context...

This is pretty much the worst place to ask as, well, there's really only myself who reads any and even then I can really only speak from a SFF viewpoint.

But if you've not read Nancy Garden's Annie On My Mind, then you need to correct that. Now. There's also a short story for ereaders called Surfacing (by Anne MarieBuhl, I think) which made me melt into a puddle.

And I have to throw in two SFF series - Jim C. Hines' Princess series (starts with The Stepsister Scheme) has a lesbian main character with a romance arc spanning all four books, and J.A. Pitts' Sarah Beauhall series (starts with Black Blade Blues) has a lesbian protag already in a relationship, but there's a lot of romance there.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't read her, but Sonje Jone's new (lesbian) detective series was highly recommended by another forum member (Todd Newton). The first book (the only one out right now) is only 99c so it won't set you back much to try her out.

Also, Tristis Ward has written some great short stories on this forum you might be interested in but I can't find them - drat!

Oh, well, that's my contribution!

Blog Entries
    I have a vague memory of it but I'm pretty sure there was a lesbian relationship at the heart of Melissa Scott's cyberpunk novel Trouble and Her Friends.

Blog Entries
    Also just remembered that there is actually a very strong lesbian relationship in S.M. Stirling's Nantucket Series. Not exactly romance fiction, more like two female warriors bonding for life under the most bizarre of premises; but don't want to spoil the story.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I don't know if Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle qualifies. There's definitely some feminine romantic interest for Ash, but there's quite a lot of other things going on in the book.

Ink-stained Wretch Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    Tanith Lee, who is an excellent writer, writes lesbian fiction under the name Esther Garber. I've never read any of the Garber stories, but if they are as good as her other stories, they should be very good.

I don't know if it was based on a book or not but the Wachowski brothers relased a film in 1996 called Bound that was an edge of the seat thriller. The protagonists where lesbian lovers played by Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon.

I'm a straight male and I loved this film.
    The action/suspense was absolutely intense and the relationship between Gina and Tilly was very involving. I forgot about them being lesbian and was just caught up in the action and passion of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraJ View Post
    It's difficult for me to find good lesbian romance fiction. I've read every book written by Sarah Waters, which introduced me to the genre. Basically I'm looking for anything well written.
    If you like Sarah Waters, you might be interested in She Rises by Kate Worsley (Worsley was mentored by Waters). It's hard to say much about this book without spoiling it, but with regard to gender and identity the author is traveling some of the same ground covered by authors like Waters and Virginia Woolf.

Blog Entries
    I just started the When Women Were Warriors series. All I can say is: the story is excellent (so far). It is a fantasy-ish/lesbian/romantic (sort of) story. Just to note: I'm not into any of those except the fantasy part. But I feel WWWW transcends any of the tropes/traps that folks might associate with lesbian romance. Anyway, I'm not even half way through with the first book of this series and I am ready to shower the author (Catherine M. Wilson) with very high praise.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    I just started the When Women Were Warriors series. All I can say is: the story is excellent (so far). It is a fantasy-ish/lesbian/romantic (sort of) story. Just to note: I'm not into any of those except the fantasy part. But I feel WWWW transcends any of the tropes/traps that folks might associate with lesbian romance. Anyway, I'm not even half way through with the first book of this series and I am ready to shower the author (Catherine M. Wilson) with very high praise.
    It's not fantasy! I've read all three books (and loved them), and they're really, really good. But the author is kinda clear on them not being fantasy (more... historical fiction with vague supernatural/spiritual elements, I'd say). But seriously, you'll love all three of them.

I actually reviewed the first (and yes, I know I kinda refer to it as fantasy - I made a mistake), and if you look on the same site, I also reviewed the other two. But really, tmso, they're good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    It's not fantasy!
    Yes, I know. That's why I said, "fantasy-ish".

Actually, I wouldn't call it historical fiction either. I mean, the story is definitely not set in this world (at least, no part of it I'm aware of), but as you said (and as the author notes) it is not fantasy as we know it. But it seems to me like fantasy in that it is a different world from our own.

I'll check out your reviews when I finish the first book. I am enjoying the story and I imagine I'll read the entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Yes, I know. That's why I said, "fantasy-ish".

Actually, I wouldn't call it historical fiction either. I mean, the story is definitely not set in this world (at least, no part of it I'm aware of), but as you said (and as the author notes) it is not fantasy as we know it. But it seems to me like fantasy in that it is a different world from our own.

I'll check out your reviews when I finish the first book. I am enjoying the story and I imagine I'll read the entire series.
    My memory is rusty but according to my review I seem to believe it's set in Bronze Age England.