Hybrid View

Heroic Legnd of Arslan? (and other Japanese animations)

Has anyone else seen this? Both the art and story were beautiful, and it's definitely one of the more intriguing Japanese animations out there.

Surprised this wasn't more popular, as with Tank Police.

Apollano
    It starts out quite good, but as I remember it the budget seemed to dry up as we get further into the series. I recall seeing the Original Animation Video series, but I think Arslan also became a TV series which I never got to check out.

I certainly enjoyed Record of Lodoss Wars (the OAV series). I seem to recall buying both at the same time back in the 90's.

Northwest Indiana, not far from Lake Michigan.

Paprika

Paprika, by the late, great Satoshi Kon. This is an English dub, on YouTube.

If you're like me, you'll need to withhold judgement until the clowns have passed. By minute 10 I was hooked.

I think I like the Japanese language version with English subtitles better.

Apollano

Thumbs up

I'm more of an English subtitled viewer. It's rare that an English dub doesn't screw-up the original acting and fine script: Ghost in the Shell movie, for example. If you see it subtitled it is more direct and precise in translating the original script. The dub of the movie is fake acting and has re-written lines from the original Japanese script (in order to match the lip movements). Usually changes like these screw up the story. Some film critics complained about not understanding the dubbed version upon its release in the US in '95, but there was no such complaints from critics over the English subtitled title edition as I recall it.

I haven't seen Paprika yet, but I plan to see it. Check out The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by Mamoru Hosoda. That's a good film too.

Last edited by WinstonL; September 6th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

It's rare that an English dub doesn't screw-up the original acting and fine script: Ghost in the Shell movie, for example.
    That's often true. Even when dubbing is well done, the character of a film can suffer. Take the Disney release of Hayao Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky, for example. The English script was done by a very good writer. The voice talent was top notch. Still, an annoying level of Disneyfication sets in. There are English lines where no lines were spoken in Japanese. Apparently certain Disney people were concerned that an American audience couldn't figure out what some scenes meant without being told. Other times they seem compelled to introduce extraneous bits of dialog or juvenile jokes, as if worried that the viewer's mind might wander if too much time passed without something being said. (Silences are often as important as words, of course. As with a painting, the empty spaces matter.)

Often there's more than dialogue that gets messed with. If you've only watched Miyazaki's Spirited Away in English, you've missed Youmi Kimura's original performance of Always With Me--a composition which inspired Miyazaki as he created the film. (She sent him a cassette of her song very early in the project; Miyazaki listened to it constantly while working.) If you've only watched Miyazaki's most recent masterpiece, The Secret World of Arrietty, in English, you heard an American pop tune over the credits instead of Arrietty's Song, sung by Celtic harpist CÚcile Corbel in Japanese. (Here's Corbel, performing the same song in English, over clips from the film.) Fortunately, if you own the Disney disks, you've got the option of running the original Japanese soundtracks with English subtitles.

Arrietty, btw, is one of the most visually beautiful and deeply moving animated fantasies I have ever seen. Hayao Miyazaki is a god.

I forgot to mention that I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, on your recommendation. Mamoru Hosoda is new to me. I enjoyed it.

Apollano
    I immediately went to see the Secret World of Arrietty for the first time and it was the English version while it was released on the big screen. I loved the movie, but gave the dub acting and voices only a 'B'. Btw, I saw bits of the English British version and I really liked what I saw and heard. I suspect I'd give it an A.

Two other English version dubbed anime I really liked (that also ever got an 'A' from me) was Disney's dub of Nausicaa of the Valley Wind, and Lasseter's directing of the voice actors on Miyazaki's Ponyo. I agree the Laputa was sloppy at times.

Btw, I'm an old anime fan that have been around a lot. Pleased to meet you.

Last edited by WinstonL; September 8th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.