Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dredd

Registered as What?
    I hope that the movie is'nt too serious. The Stallone movie had cheesy humor and Sly's almost un-understandable rumblings. Dredd should be satiric and not serious.

Update time!

Well, tomorrow (7th of September), Dredd finally releases in the UK. There's a slight problem, however. The film is primarily in 3D and is being marketed heavily as such, and only a small number (~30 confirmed so far) will be showing it in 2D, so those who either cannot/won't watch 3D or feel the extra expense isn't worth it then the DVD release (in 2013, most likely) will have to suffice.

This week's 2000AD Prog (1799) has a Dredd photo cover and I think next week's (1800) is going to be a new jumping-on point for new fans, which is also worth bearing in mind.

Finally, Rebellion have released a free Dredd 3D prequel comic online that goes into the origin of Ma-Ma (played by Lena Headey in the film).

So, aside from the limited 2D cinematic release, this is a drokkin' great time to be a 2000AD fan.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The reviews I'm hearing about are saying it is excellent.

Kim Newman, whose encyclopaedic knowledge of the cinema I am in awe of, has allegedly called it one of his films of the year so far, putting it above Prometheus, Dark Knight and the rest.

One issue here for some in the UK is that the film has an 18 rating, which is 17 in the US(?) - for the violence and drug-issues, I believe. That's great for many and signifies the film's adult content, but I have a 16 year old in my house who wanted to see it, and I would be happy for him to see it. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

But generally it sounds good, and whilst I'm still not sure that Karl Urban has the look I think of when I think of Dredd, I am being told that in acting terms it's a role up there with Heath Ledger's Joker.

Was hoping to see it this weekend: not sure if that will happen at the moment, but I do really want to see it. And, given a choice, I would see it in 3D (though I take the point that I should be given the choice to see it in 2D which isn't the case everywhere) at the cinema, with 2D on DVD later.

Mark
    Mark

I have to admit I share your concerns about Karl Urban, but I think it's less 'him' and more how Dredd looks in the film. With the costume changes and some of the new designs (seriously, who designed those bikes?), it seems a bit not-Dredd at times.

That said, I'm more concerned about Judge Anderson and what they've done to her character. She largely worked independent of Dredd from what I've read, but I am interested to see if they've left her character intact or if she's been changed too.

And yeah, the rating's a bit of an issue for me because I don't really have any ID.

First 18-rated film since 2010 to hit Number 1 in the UK Box Office. Wow. So Dredd had an incredibly successful opening weekend despite the low number of 2D theatres, but I've heard suggestions that the number of 2D showings may increase after the first week or so. But still, for a British movie based on a British comics franchise, that's absolutely staggering news, and feedback has been almost completely positive.

Also, Issue 1799 of 2000AD had a Karl Urban cover, and the latest Megazine (328) is a bumper edition with a whole host of movie-related extras.

And... then after all that success, I saw an interview on the 2000AD site with Olivia Thirlby, who plays Judge Cassandra Anderson. In particular, this bit drew my attention:
    2000 AD: Did any particular Anderson, Judge Dredd, or Dreddverse story stand out to you while you were researching the material?
    Olivia: To me, the biggest one that stood out was Anderson’s encounter with the Dark Judges.
    My faith in this film took a knock there. Does Ms Thirlby actually have any interest in Dredd at all? That's such a safe, vague and untelling answer that it's unbelievable.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I for one am looking forward to the movie. Looks to be an improvement from Sly's version. Gritty, violent, and darker something that a lot of movies just don't have. Plus Urban won't remove the helmet to stay closer to the character. Should be a decent flick.

Blog Entries
    Saw it in 2D this evening. A gritty, violent, intelligent movie for adults.

Despite nods to other movies ( dirty Harry, assault precinct 13, district 9 to name a few ) it still paid homage to it's roots without alienating those who are new to Dredd.

Recommended.

Saw it yesterday and thought it very good. Definitely better than Prometheus, though that wouldn't be difficult. Probably a little bit better than John Carter, which I really liked. I'm not sure why it's been given an 18 certificate, you see similar levels of violence and gore in lower-certificated films.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why it's been given an 18 certificate, you see similar levels of violence and gore in lower-certificated films.
    In some strange way I gather it was more the drugs references rather than the violence. Though I'm sure the violence was part of it.

Mark
    Mark

I also believe the violence is at times in slow-motion, enhancing the gore factor.

Finally saw this last night and really wasn't impressed at all. I should probably mention I was a huge 2000AD fan for a long time and I loathed the Stallone film, until I saw this.
    I never in my worst nightmares thought I would say it but..... I prefered the godawful Stallone version.
    At least it had some elements from the source material such as Rico, the questionable cloning project, the Angel Gang, the Long Walk into the Cursed Earth, the SJS and even an ABC warrior slipped in as an easter egg.
    The new Dredd had an overly long gunfight that played out for the whole film. It was like watching a video game.
    What bothered me most about it though was Dredd himself. Where was the DREDD factor?
    Dredd is a name that has most lawbreakers shaking in their boots, just at the mention. No one in the film seemed the slightest bit bothered that Judge Dredd, the most feared, ruthless, unstoppable law machine in Mega City One was in the house.

Judge who? Never heard of him!

I could be wrong, but Anderson's different in it too, right?

I remember Anderson being an established senior judge of the Psi division with a somewhat quirky personality. She was a bit of a Scully to Dredd's Mulder. It seemed they felt her character needed a genesis story.
    Perhaps that was the idea with Dredd too i.e he's just another street Judge yet to make a real name or reputation for himself.

Overall I think the way the film was scripted and shot, they were concentrating on making it look as "cool" as possible with all the slo-mo, 3d effects etc.
    Last edited by kahnovitch; December 28th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

I read Anderson almost exclusively. I don't bother much with Dredd. From what I've read, she's not so much "senior" as notorious, but one of the most powerful psi-division members who has the power to defeat the Dark Judges (and does so numerous times). She's very much a loose cannon, goes against authority and is constantly leaving/joining the Justice Department.

Admittedly I've only seen some screencaps and trailers, but I just don't get that vibe. Olivia Thirlby, to me, doesn't look like she'd answer back.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I read Anderson almost exclusively. I don't bother much with Dredd. From what I've read, she's not so much "senior" as notorious, but one of the most powerful psi-division members who has the power to defeat the Dark Judges (and does so numerous times). She's very much a loose cannon, goes against authority and is constantly leaving/joining the Justice Department.

Admittedly I've only seen some screencaps and trailers, but I just don't get that vibe. Olivia Thirlby, to me, doesn't look like she'd answer back.
    Anderson is a rookie cop at this point of the story. Any emotion that you see in the film comes from her. As far as everyone fearing Dredd, I see this movie as the set up for his fame or notoriety. Although the odds of Dredd sequel looks rather bleak at this time but one can hope. I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Was it flawed, yes. Was it better than Stallone's film, yes. Room for improvement? Of course and it will probably iron itself out if given the chance for more installments.